The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Discusses Ways To Reduce Conflicts in Schedules
At the Wednesday, February 17th meeting the West Central School board heard a
presentation on the high school schedule and the pros and cons of going to an
8-period day versus a 7-period day.
There were several teachers present to share their thoughts and concerns. At
this time, the board is just in the discussion phase of how to reduce conflicts
in students schedules and how to increase offerings to them.
The board expressed their appreciation for the steps that have been taken toward
dual credit and Work Study offerings as well as the efforts of all staff to
offer a quality education.
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary
School cafeteria by Board President Lonnie Brent, with all board members present
at roll call.
President Brent led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance, then the following
Good News items were highlighted:
- High School Students of the Month for January:
- Physical Education: Skyler Moede
- Science: Bradon Annegers
- CTE: Curtis Nichols
- Social Studies: Grace Brent
- Fine Arts: Conner Hill
- English: Mallory Hennenfent
- Math: Dennis Casey
- WCHS Girls: Basketball Won the Regional Championship Game
- WCHS Student Whitney Finley advanced to Sectionals in Bowling
- The WYSE Team took 3rd place at Regionals, so they will advance to Sectionals on
March 14 at Knox College.
- There are currently 26 students enrolled in the ACT Prep Class
- 7th Grade Student Kaitlyn Waugh won the Henderson/County Spelling Bee. She will
advance to Peoria on March 18, 2016.
- Middle School Students Victor Smith and Nathan McBride received 3rd place at the
WIU Science Olympiad for their rocket project.
- WCE hosted the annual Pastries with Parents program to share information about
the upcoming PARCC assessment. We had over 80 families in attendance at this
- WCE continues to collect pull tabs for the Ronald McDonald House in Iowa City.
Currently, we are in third place in a competition among several school
districts. Please send us your tabs prior to March 21.
- Buzz, the Burlington Bees mascot, visited WCE this week to promote a reading
incentive program for our students.
- The school received feedback from the LTC Tournament about how kind and polite
our boys' basketball players were.
There were no additions or deletions to the agenda and no comments from the
The board approved the Consent Agenda. Items approved under the Consent Agenda
included the following: :
- The minutes of the January 20, 2016, regular meeting and closed session
- The January 2016 bills, January 2016 building activity account reports, the
January 2016 treasurer's report, and review of the district financial snapshot.
In other business the board:
- approved the 2015-2016 District Seniority List for Certified and Support
Personnel as presented.
- approved the 7th grade field trip to Math/Science Day at Six Flags in St.
- approved a bid from Kemper Construction, Inc. in the amount of $189,000 for
general work and plumbing repair work in restrooms at all facilities.
- approved the following proposed board policy revisions on First Reading:
- -Policy 2:160, Board Attorney
- -Policy 2:160-E Exhibit Checklist for Selecting a Board Attorney
- -Policy 2:260 Uniform Grievance Procedure
- -Policy 4:50 Payment Procedures
- -Policy 5:50 Drug- and Alcohol-Free Workplace; Tobacco Prohibition
- -Policy 5:270 Employment At-Will, Compensation, and Assignment
- -Policy 5:290 Employment Termination and Suspensions
- -Policy 6:140 Education of Homeless Children
- -Policy 7:10 Equal Educational Opportunities
- -Policy 7:40 Nonpublic School Students, Including Parochial and Home-Schooled
- -Policy 7:310 Restrictions on Publications
- -Policy 7:325 Student Fundraising Activities
- -Policy 7:90 Release During School Hours
- -Policy 8:10 Connection with the Community
- -Policy 8:80 Gifts to the District
- reviewed and heard reports from the building principals; Ben Rees, Athletic
Director; Melinda Frakes, District Technology Coordinator; and Nancy Smith,
District Psychologist and Special Education Director.
- Mrs. Lafary added that Send a Sucker brought in $407 which will be donated to
help pay medical expenses for Riley Thomas, a student at Monmouth-Roseville who
was diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma Cancer on January 15, 2016.
- Mrs. Lafary reported that the elementary school received a check from Target
in the amount of $244.
- Mrs. Burns reported on the idea to have a 6th grade orientation in the spring
for incoming 6th grade students and parents.
- Mr. Schneider updated the board on dual credit offerings. There will also be
two teachers (one H.S. and one M.S.) and two administrators (one H.S. and one
M.S.) participating in the Illinois State University and University of Illinois
Education Job Fairs to try to attract new teachers to the West Central School
- Mrs. Frakes presented on the success of the Technology Team s recent
professional development offerings.
- The board heard an update from Mr. Rees regarding West Prairie s request to
coop golf with us. West Prairie currently has two boys and one girl interested.
- heard an idea about how to get more community members involved in homecoming
- was presented a proposed 2016-2017 school district calendar for discussion.
- The board entered closed session at 7:45 p.m. to discuss matters related to
personnel and contract. The board exited closed session at 8:55 p.m.
- The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- accepted the resignation of Scott Schneider as the WCHS Principal
- approved Megan Hills and Tiffany Adams to teach the ACT Prep Class
- approved Christina Ryba as a long-term substitute at WCMS for two class
periods for the remainder of the 2015-2016 school year
- approved Robert Berry as a long-term substitute at WCHS for the remainder of
the 2015-2016 school year
- approved Monica Brooks as a WCHS Volunteer Assistant Softball Coach
- accepted the resignation of Brandy Blender as the WCHS Assistant Girls
The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be
Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary cafeteria.
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned
their meeting at 9:04 p.m.