The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Board Sets Graduation Date
At the Wednesday, December 14, 2016, regular board meeting of the West Central
C.U.S.D. #235 Board of Education the board approved WCHS graduation date as
Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 2:00 p.m.
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.in the West Central Elementary
School cafeteria by Board President Lonnie Brent, who led the audience in the
Pledge of Allegiance.
All board members except Jodi Arnold were present at roll call. Board member
Arnold entered at 6:40 p.m.
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- Mr. Buss commented that the elementary, middle school, and high school music
programs were extremely well done.
- The elementary has collected 922 nonperishable items for their food drive. These
items will be donated to FOCC.
- The elementary worked with community members on an Angel Tree project. This year
they were able to assist 19 families and 44 students.
- The agenda was approved as presented with no additions or deletions.
- The board approved the Consent Agenda. Items approved under the Consent Agenda
included the following:
- The minutes of the November 15, 2016, Regular Meeting and Closed Session and
- The November 2016 bills, November 2016 building Activity Account Reports, the
November 2016 Treasurer's Report, and review of the District Financial Report.
Other business included:
- approved the lease of a John Deere tractor and loader for one year in the
amount of $6,650.
- approved the 2016 Tax Levy as presented. This year s tax levy calls for an
extension amount of $5,141,459 which is an increase over the 2015 levy extension
amount of 4.97%.
- approved a bid from Brian Kane in the amount of $653.01 and a contract for the
sale of four district-owned lots in Stronghurst as presented.
- heard an update from Superintendent Markey regarding bullying reporting and
procedures. The board heard a report from Superintendent Markey and Elementary
Principal Kathy Lafary on the Preschool for All Expansion Grant available
through the ROE. The board reviewed and heard reports from the building
principals and from Jason Kirby, our Athletic Director. They reviewed a
Technology Report from Mrs. Frakes and a report from our District Psychologist
and Special Education Director, Shaila Ayer.
There were no discussion items on the agenda this month.
The board entered closed session at 7:05 p.m. to discuss matters related to
personnel and contract. The board exited closed session at 8:04 p.m.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- accepted the resignation of Carrie Reece effective December 20, 2016 with
thanks for her service
- approved the transfer of Sara Hull from a part-time Title Associate to a
full-time " approved the employment of Samantha Kimmey as a SAT Prep Course
- approved the employment of James Black as a SAT Prep Course Instructor
- approved the emplo yment of Charlie Huss as a District Custodian
- accepted the resignation of Samantha Kimmey as a WCHS Girls Track Coach
- approved the employment of Jon Steben as a WCMS Student Council Sponsor.
The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be
Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned
their meeting at 8:04 p.m.