The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

Oquawka Board Meeting Ends With Angry Words

by Deb Olson, The Quill

With all board members but John Fedler present, the Oquawka Village board met on Tuesday, April 5th before a group numbering eleven people, among them several village employees.

Most of the business conducted was of a seasonal nature relating to hiring of a pool manager and life guards, lawn mowing, 4th of July holiday events as well as a discussion of complaints received about noise and fighting at the skateboard park.

The village will be taking applications for a new pool manager and life guards to staff the pool. While the board will hire the new manager, it will be up to the manager to oversee hiring of life guards based on applications received for the position which will be advertised with applications due back to the village hall by April 23rd. The exact date for the pool's opening will be decided at the next meeting.

Mowing will begin on April 22 which coincides with the beginning of the next pay period. The board voted unanimously to raise pay for Gary Marsden to $10 an hour.

Complaints by residents regarding how late lights stay lit at the skateboard park were discussed.

Trustee Ray noted that lights are currently set to be turned off at approximately 10:30 p.m. which is in line with the state curfew.

Residents would like to see the lights turned off 9 p.m. but that is not practical when measured against the state law about the curfew.

The early shut off of lights could possibly encourage illegal activities in the park

Activities over the Fourth of July holiday weekend will include a tractor and truck pull on July 2nd and fireworks on July 3rd.

Trustee Bundy asked for an ordinance for street closure on the block between 8th and 9th and Knox and Mercer.

In lieu of a new ordinance the village attorney Andy Youngquist suggested that a motion was all that was necessary to accomplish the closure.

The motion was approved unanimously. Rain date for fireworks is July 10th.

At the end of the meeting the board was addressed by Pat Andrews.

She appeared to request that the city take responsibility for water damage caused to her mother's home. Andrews insisted that the city was at fault for the damage because a city employee had turned the water back on after the family had had it shut off.

After trustees on advice of attorney Youngquist ended discussion with Ms. Andrews she angrily left the meeting promising a lawsuit to recover damages.

In other business the board:

The meeting adjourned at 7:58