The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1922 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, Dec. 28, 1922

ANTIQUES ON DISPLAY: An interesting collection of reminders of the "days beyond recall" has been placed on exhibition by Dr. and Mrs. Harter in the show window of their drug store. They hope to make this collection the nucleus of a larger and more varied collection; and to this end they are asking that any persons in the community having in their possession relics of by-gone days, bring them in and have them added to the exhibit.

The present display includes an old spinning wheel which Mrs. Harter inherited from Mrs. J.H. Strodtman and two "linsey woolsey" blankets, the thread for which was spun on this wheel by Mrs. Strodtman and the weaving of which was done by Mrs. Mary Shull, the mother of Mrs. C. H. Davis; an old Psalm book which was brought from Virginia to Illinois in 1849 by the parents of Dr. Harter and printed in the quaint Old English style of spelling; a "liberty" bed blanket which was in use in the Strodtman home for many years; two other "liberty" blankets, one the property of Smith Ayres with the date "1844" woven in one corner and the other a blue and white blanket, the property of A. H. Kershaw and bearing on each corner the legend, " A Hageman, Millstone, N.J. 1843-P.S.V.D." This blanket is in a remarkably fine state of preservation, showing but little wear and with colors as bright as the day it came off the loom.

Dr. and Mrs. Harter say that articles loaned for this exhibit will be carefully looked after and protected while in their keeping.

CAUGHT GAMBLING: Sheriff Davenport came down from Oquawka last Saturday afternoon to investigate rumors that there were "punch boards" being operated here in violation of the law. He found one of these gambling devises in operation at each of the three cafes in the village. The boards and prizes were confiscated by the sheriff and the proprietors taken to Oquawka where they entered pleas of guilty before Judge Gordon and were assessed a fine of $37.50 each (in today's value=$507.75).

***OBITUARY***MRS. ARTHUR McANDREWS: "At her home in this city at 1:45 Thursday afternoon, Dec. 21st occurred the death of Mrs. Arthur McAndrews. On the 14th of October last, Mrs. McAndrews had an arm broken by a fall,; which prostrated her on a wracking bed of pain for about eight weeks, during which time the fractured member healed satisfactorily and for a few days she was up and around the house and to all appearances would soon recover from the effects of the accident; and members of the household were, of course, rejoiced at the prospects, and the merry observance of Christmas was among the plans made to make her happy. But this was not to be and our fondest anticipations resulted in bitter disappointment; for on the 15th inst. She was suddenly seized with an attack of illness which compelled her to take to her bed from which she never arose.

The attending physician pronounced the ailment to be an affection of the heart, complicated with shock to the system caused by the broken arm. Skilled medical treatment and constant and tender nursing were of no avail-the Supreme Power that holds our destinies in His hands had willed that her days on earth were numbered and she passed peacefully away. All members of the immediate family were present with the exception of the younger daughter, Mrs. Avery Heyman of Richmond, California.

Louisa Kleinemeyer was born in Fort Madison, Iowa, Dec. 17th, 1849, making her 73 years and 4 days of age at the time of her death. Her parents, Joseph and Wilhelmina Kleinemeyer were natives of Germany and were pioneers of Fort Madison where they settled in about the year 1847.

On Dec. 1, 1883 she married Arthur Mc Andrews of Fort Madison. To this union were born four children, two sons and two daughters who with the husband survive. They are namely: James M. at home in Dallas City; France Starkey also of Dallas City; Lucius, the present publisher of the Stronghurst Graphic, and Mrs. Avery Heyman of Richmond, Calif. Two grandchildren and a sister, Mrs. Rosalie Schmidt of Fort Madison survive.

Mrs. McAndrews was a member of the Catholic Church and so long as health permitted was regular in attendance on days of worship. For years she was a victim of Rheumatism. This, with failing eyesight, added to her infirmities. It is not to be understood by this that she was blind, but the dimness of vision was slowly but surely approaching that state which some time in the future would result in total obscuration.

From her childhood days and the intervening years that led up to mature old age, she exemplified at all times the attributes of pure womanhood; patience and forbearance were so entrenched in her nature that she bore without murmuring any trial, no matter how serious-ever looking on the bright side and instead of becoming discouraged, would break the gloom by words of cheer. A truly good woman has gone to her home where the careworn cease from troubling and the weary are at rest. Funeral services were conducted at the Sacred Heart Church with burial at Gittings Mound Cemetery.

Pall bearers were Ruskin Clifton, Carl Steingraber, Wm. McQuillan, J. H. Farren, L.M. McBride and John Wibble. A choir from Carthage, Ill. sang at the services"-Dallas City Review

HOLIDAY DINNER: The Galbraith sisters entertained at a Christmas dinner Mrs. Bell of Henderson, Ia., Mr. Will Galbraith and daughter of Bowen, Ill., a brother and his daughter and niece of Gladstone, Il. and Miss Naomi Cooper of Stronghurst. After partaking of the dinner of many good things, the guests retired to the parlor which was decorated with bells and a beautiful tree with presents for all. Miss Wilda Galbraith acted as Santa, assisted by Sarah White, which was the crowning festivity of the day; each one feeling it would long be remembered as a pleasant milestone in life's way.

Punchboards were originally used in the 18th century for gambling purposes. A local tavern owner would construct a game board out of wood, drill small holes in it, and fill each hole with a small paper ticket or gamepiece. The holes were then typically covered with paper or foil. After a patron bought a chance at the punchboard, he would puncture one of the hole's paper or foil covers with a nail and retrieve the ticket/gamepiece. If the gamepiece contained a winning number, the patron won the prize. In the nineteenth century, board operators eventually drilled into their own holes (they knew where the big money was, because they made the board). The punchboard's use started to decline.

Paper punchboard: In the late 1800s, a new type of punchboard was introduced. This one involved putting paper in both the front and back of the hole (to help prevent operators from cheating). These new punchboards became popular purchases at drugstores, and they were sold with a metal stylus. The punchboard soon became increasingly similar to today's lottery tickets.--Wikipedia

DEATH OF ATTORNEY'S MOTHER: MRS HATTIE IVINS-Mrs. Hattie Fordyce Ivins, mother of Attorney W.C. Ivins died Dec. 21st at La Harpe, Ill. at the home of her sister, Mrs. J. N. Booth with whom she had lived during the past two years. The deceased was born in Green County, Pa. in 1846 and was in her 87th year at the time of her death. Her father was E. Fordyce, a pioneer preacher of this section of the country. She was married in 1859 to Joseph Ivins who was a school teacher in La Harpe. They moved to Bowen, Ill. several years later and from there to Augusta where they spent a year and then they went to Camp Point, Ill., where they continued to reside until the death of Mr. Ivins in 1916. Since that time Mrs. Ivins has made her home with her daughter, Mrs. C.A. Poorman at Alva, Okla. and her sister, Mrs. Booth at La Harpe.

Mrs. Ivins is survived by three of six children, namely: W.C. Ivins of Stronghurst; Jos. C. Ivins of Louisville, Ky. and Mrs. Maida Poorman of Newton, Kans. She was a woman of excellent Christian character and devoted member of the M.E. Church since childhood. She was a great sufferer during the later years of her life, but her faith sustained her to the end. Funeral services were held at the Union Church in La Harpe with interment in the Camp Point Cemetery.

CHRISTMAS AT THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH: Exercises rendered at the church last Sunday evening were in accord with the Yuletide spirit. The tableaus of the Birth of Christ, the wise men and the shepherds were very well arranged. Recitations and songs given by the children were very much enjoyed. At the end of the program presents were given from a huge Christmas tree and everyone went home with a little more of the Christ child in their heart.

SHOWED THEIR APPRECIATION: At the close of the Christmas exercises at the U. P. Church Rev. J.A. Mahaffey was presented with a leather pocket book containing a substantial sum of money from members of the congregation and other friends in the community in recognition of his faithful work as pastor and his service to the community in promoting the cause of better law enforcement. The Christmas mails also brought him tokens of a similar nature from county officials and others who appreciated his work. The total amount he received from various sources amounted to over $200. He had expected no financial reward.

PARENTS, YOU ARE TO BLAME! Sheriff W. E. Robb, the preacher sheriff of Polk County, Iowa (Des Moines area) who was called to act as hangman at two executions at the Fort Madison penitentiary recently, delivered an address at the Baptist church in that city on the evening before the second hanging. During the address he told his audience some facts regarding the present condition of lawlessness in this country which coming from one burdened with the responsibility of sending a human soul into the presence of his Maker, should be given more than a mere passing thought by parents and others responsible for the training of the young.

After speaking of the unchaperoned motor car "petting parties" held at all hours of the night along country roads and declaring that since he had been sheriff of Polk County, 300 girls had been confined in the county jail-50% of whom were under 15 years of age he continued. "And who is to blame? Certainly not the school, the church, the Y.W.C.A. nor the police. Then who? I'll tell you who-the parents. The same parents who allow themselves to be dictated to instead of exercising their rightful authority; who indulge each and every whim of their children instead of denying the things which do not work for their good; who allow the boys and their girls to run where they will without questioning the possible results."

"Since 1917 there has been recorded a 7% increase in crime over the U.S. and the one and only cause is that our youth has not been taught to respect their parents nor value the church.

" You can jail law breakers; you can send criminals to prison and hang them, but you cannot bring about the correction of the present deplorable conditions unless you start at the beginning with the boys and girls.

"A fifteen year old girl was recently arrested in Des Moines at one o'clock in the morning and brought to jail. I called her father and asked him if he knew where his daughter was and he told me that she had gone somewhere and had not returned. When I told him that I had her in jail, he was heart broken and I advised to him to come down immediately and get her. When he arrived, I impressed upon him the necessity of more stringent discipline and that if his daughter was not properly guided, she would be back in jail in a few weeks or months at best."

"I am not a calamity howler; I am not predicting the utter dissolution of the glory of these United States, but I am issuing a warning and urging that the home be reinstated in its former place as a factor in the moral training of our boys and girls, and that all the jails and penitentiaries in the country with all the police and the sheriffs in the land cannot take the place of the church in teaching the great moral lesson of life."(In light of the current unrest in our country, it is good to realize that each era has problems and some are always the same.)

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Miss Evelyn Hartquist and Ethel Brokaw are home from Northwestern University for the holidays. Ben Matzka and wife are here from Canada on their annual winter visit. Millie Ahlers, who has been assisting at the library at Alton, Ill. came home for the Christmas vacation. A very interest Christmas program was given at the Peasley School where Miss Ella Ahlers teaches. Forty visitors were present and enjoyed the program, the Christmas tree, Santa and the distribution of gifts and treats. Mrs. Maxine Mains was home from Burlington Business College. George Hoffeditz is reported laid up with an attack of rheumatism with complications. Miss Sara McElhinney is home from Sioux Falls, S. Dakota where she is engaged in teaching. George Matzka, who has been a patient at the Wadsworth Hospital here suffering from pneumonia, is convalescing at the home of his mother.

The Mississippi River at Keokuk is said to be the lowest in its history as the bottom of all the piers of the Keokuk and Hamilton Bridge is plainly visible. An attempt was made to wreck Santa Fe train No.5 at Joliet Monday night. The engineer stopped the train within ten feet of a gap in the track caused by the removal of a rail. While many of the passengers were thrown from their seats by the sudden application of the emergency brakes, they were not inclined to find fault with the engineer when they learned what they had escaped.

While making the turn from the public road into the barnyard gate at the P.J. Johnson place near Olena last Tuesday, a Ford car occupied by Clas Carlson and family was run into by a car which had been following close behind them. The Carlson car was overturned and considerably damaged, but fortunately all the occupants escaped without any serious injury. Miss Esther Marshall, who is attending college at Tarkio, Mo., is spending the holidays with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. N. Marshall. Miss Marjorie Thompson came down from Blue Island, Ill., where she is engaged in teaching to spend the holidays. Rolla Mudd who is in the employ of the Standard Oil Co. in Chicago and his sister Marie, who teaches at Blue Island, Ill., are among the holidays visitors. A. E. Wetterling was on the Chicago market last Monday with a load of hogs; he sells his stock through the Chicago Producers' Commission Association, the farmer-owned and controlled co-operative firm recently established at the Union Stockyards. The freshmen class of Stronghurst High School gave a banquet to the sophomores at the school last Friday evening. Amongst the features of the occasion was an interchange of Christmas tokens.

THOSE EXPERT INSPECTORS: The Blandinsville Gazette says: "Recently the postmaster at Warsaw died and when a post office inspector checked up the accounts he claimed where was a shortage of $300. A brother of the deceased refused to accept this settlement and two post office inspectors were sent out to make an audit. They reported a shortage of $70. Refusing to make a settlement on this basis, a third examination was made and the inspector departed without announcing the result, but last week the executor of the late postmaster received a check from the government for $5.30, being the amount the government owed the late postmaster."

VEGETABLE IMMIGRANTS: Celery originated in Germany. The chestnut came from Italy. The onion originated in Egypt. The citron is a native of Greece. Oats first grew in North Africa. Rye came originally from Siberia. Parsley was first known in Sardinia. The pear and apple are from Europe. Spinach came from Arabia. The sunflower was brought from Peru. The mulberry tree originated in Persia. Walnuts and peaches came from Persia too. Cucumbers came from the East Indies. Radishes came from China and Japan. Peas are of Egyptian origin. Horseradish is from Southern Europe.