The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.



The 1923 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic,April 12, 1923

WANT OLD TRAIL PAVED: An enthusiastic meeting of good road boosters were held in Roseville to discuss plans for having the old government trail between Farmington, Ill. and Burlington, Ia. place on the proposed $100,000,000 bond issue route.  The towns through which the trail passes are Farmington, Abingdon, London Mills, St. Augustine, Roseville and Media and it was decided to have each of these towns sent two delegates to Springfield in the near future to confer with the governor in regard to the matter...While the Graphic does not wish to appear as being inclined to throw cold water upon the plan, which we believe, would benefit this community, we are strongly inclined to doubt the willingness of the state highway board to recommend the location of a paved road paralleling the one already located between Farmington and Burlington.  An inspection of the present state hard road map shows that at no point would the proposed hard road be more than 10 miles from the Peoria, Galesburg, Monmouth, Burlington road already accepted for paving by the state board.

1898 NEWS-25 YEARS AGO: Congress had just declared war against Spain and a number of young men from this county had offered their services to Uncle Sam in helping to free Cuba. Charles Parsons, a former Stronghurst resident, son of T.J. Parsons, fell from a trolley pole in Burlington and died the next day. The company of little Stronghurst girls organized as a McKinley marching club by George J. Morgan had received an invitation to take part in a parade held in connection with the Grand Army of the Republic (Civil War veterans' group) at Streator, Ill. in June. The T.W. Anderson farm of 80 acres was purchased by Andrew Davis for $6,250. After a residence of 7 years in Stronghurst, George Thrush, the barber, moved to La Harpe.

***OBITUARY***MRS. FRED FISHER: Marsha Franklin Cook, daughter of William H. and Esther A. Cook, was born at Gladstone, Ill., April 6, 1868, and departed this life at Hopper, Ill., the morning of April 8, 1923, aged 55 years and two days. On Oct. 16, 1884 she united in marriage to Frederick S. Fisher at Hopper, Ill. To this union ten children were born: John L. Fisher, Treadway, Texas; Arthur E. and Clyde R. of Hurley, Texas; William F. and Charles C. of Burlington, Iowa; Mrs. William Goff and Ray C. Fisher of Oquawka, Ill.; Mrs. William Black of Stronghurst, Ill.; and Clarence L. and Ernest E. at home at Hopper. A good many years ago she united with the Methodist Episcopal Church at Stronghurst and in 1898 she transferred to Olena where she was an active member until her health would not permit her regular attendance.

Besides her immediate family she leaves to mourn her two sisters, Mrs. Anna McCannon of Burlington, Iowa and Mrs. Katharine Grossman of Rawleigh, Kan.; one brother, Charlie Cook of Oakland, Calif.; and also four half brothers: Walter W. Winders, Eldorado, Kan.; Robert C. Winders, Joy, Ill.; Roy V. Winders, Portland, Oregon; and Harry Winders, Nemo, Ill. Funeral services were held at the home and at the Olena M. E. Church with burial in the Olena Cemetery.

***MRS. MARGARET THOMPSON*** Mrs. Margaret A. Thompson, widow of Hugh L. Thompson, former Circuit Clerk of Henderson County, died at the home of her son-in-law, Dr. Russell Graham in Monmouth, Ill., last Monday, aged 99 years, 10 months and 21 days. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson came to Illinois in 1854 by boat from Ohio and settled southwest of Biggsville. From there they moved to Oquawka where Mr. Thompson was circuit clerk for 10 years. They afterward went to Aledo, Ill. and from there to Kansas. They came to Monmouth in 1898 where both spent the remaining years. Funeral services were held at the Graham home.

***G. R. MORGAN***George Robert Morgan of the southwest neighborhood, who has been a sufferer from tuberculosis for several years passed away at his home on April 111th. Funeral services will be held on April 14th at the home with interment in the Terre Haute Cemetery.

***MRS. BERTHA MATZKA*** Mrs. Bertha Matzka passed away at the Wadsworth Hospital Tuesday afternoon. Funeral services will be held at the Christian Church.

WEDDING BELLS-GRAHAM & ANDRÉ: Word was received of the marriage of Miss Lillian Andre and Mr. Gene Graham on March 31st at Santa Anna, California. Mrs. Graham is the only daughter of Mrs. Sarah Ellen Andre, formerly of Burlington but for the past two years has made their home in California. The bride received her education in the Burlington schools. The groom is the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Graham and is a very industrious young man. He is a graduate of the Stronghurst High School 1918. While there he took part in school affairs and was a member of the football team. After a short honeymoon the couple will be at home in San Diego, California.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Mrs. Dorothy Brooks returned to Plainfield, Ill. where she is teaching in the high school. The camp of pipe laying gang for the Sinclair Oil Co. has been moved to Decorra where the men are working. Mrs. W.C. Ivins and Miss Lucretia Bruen have been appointed delegates to the District Federal Women's Club meeting in Aledo; Mr. W. C. Regan and Mrs. J.W. Decker are alternates.

Friends of Harry Reiselt of La Harpe, Ill. will be interested to know that the Dixon Players, the theatrical company with which he has been playing the past year will open a four weeks engagement at the Columbia Theater in Fort Madison on April 22nd. Our neighboring village of Gladstone in the center of much activity as concrete mixers and large shipments of cement, sand and gravel are being unloaded in preparation for the work of hard surfacing the Burlington-Monmouth bond issue road.

Those who have once listened to Madam DeCordova will not fail to hear the celebrated impersonator again at the Lyric Theatre on April 19th. At the same time a lecture by one of the most successful farmers of the Midwest will be a part of the Indoor Chautauqua. The Mississippi River reached a stage of 10.40 feet at Oquawka last Monday and fears were entertained that the levy below the town would be broken and a repetition of last year's inundation would result. The river began to lower, however, and is now believed that the danger is past. Fred Wilson, who is employed by the Santa Fe signal department, spent Sunday with his mother, Mrs. Sarah Wilson. The Western Boiler Pipe Co. of Monmouth has declared bankrupt by federal court at Peoria and the creditors and resisting creditors have agreed upon E. P. Field of Monmouth as trustee.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: The 3rd annual declamatory contest was held at the Academy Friday evening. Miss Fern Cook who gave "Aunt Sophronia Tabor's First visit to the Opera" was awarded first place in the girls' contest; William Pogue with "Puppy's Debating Club" took first place among the boys. Winners were awarded gold, silver and bronze medals by E.G.L. Lewis, President of the board. Acting as judges were Messrs. Krost, Lawyer and Arnold of Knox College. Mesdames R. J. Kyle and A.L. Beal entertained the ladies missionary society of the U.P. church. The topics for discussion were "The Trend of the Races," "The Negro by Mrs. W. W. Murtland and "Building with India" by Mrs. Roy Parks. Mrs. Eulalie Campbell and pupils will appear in recital Thursday evening at the Academy. Mrs. Chas. Hutchinson, son and grandson of Akron, Ohio have been visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Dan Campbell. They departed for home on train No. 24 Saturday. Bennie Heap, who is a student in Monmouth College, spent the weekend at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Heap.

Mr. C. E. Dowdell, field worker of this district for the Anti-Saloon League, spoke Sabbath morning at the U. P. Church and in the evening gave an illustrated lecture of this work and that of white slavery. Many pictures were of raids, etc., that he had taken part in. He also spoke in the evening at the M. E. Church and gave the history of his life and conversion and his work since that time, which contained some hair-raising experiences and hair-raising scenes of his life as a bartender. Mr. Dowdell has consecrated his life to help put down the evil he once worked for and is striving with all his might to forever put to death "booze" and its makers. He was accompanied by his wife. It is hoped he will speak again soon.

LOMAX LINGERINGS: Orville Pence was taken to the Burlington Hospital for an operation for appendicitis and is in serious condition. Mr. Hainline of Good Hope expects to open up a barber shop in the A. B. Smith store this week. F. A. Strickler has purchased the W. Q. Crane residence. The Commercial Trust and Savings Bank have decided to employ a cashier and president only; they have removed Mr. F. F. Rehling cashier and put H. F. Strickler in his stead.

RARITAN REPORTS: The Misses Elsie Caldwell and Hazel Cann, who are attending school at Macomb, spent the weekend with home folks. I.Holeman has sold out his restaurant to Gerald Gipe. Grace White has been very ill with an attack of appendicitis and measles, but is better. About twenty-five members were taken into the Tri-State County Lodge Friday evening.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Jack Mullen helped Billy Mullen put in the crop. A party of girl friends was entertained at the Jim Gibb home celebrating Miss Marion's 17th birthday. Mrs. H.J. Millen and Misses Mary and Dorothy were entertained at the home of Geo. Millen at a 5 o'clock upper in honor of their little daughter, Verna's 7th birthday. Fried chicken supper was served and on the table was the birthday cake iced with pink and had seven lighted candles; ice cream was also served as dessert.