The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, Nov. 30, 1922:

MASS MEETING AT LYRIC: As opportunity to hear the proposed new constitution of Illinois discussed by one who is thoroughly familiar with its provisions will be given to the people of this community next Tuesday evening, Dec. 5th when Hon. Phillip E. Eltinge of Macomb will speak at the Lyric Theatre upon the new organic basis of government for the state which was hammered out after two years of labor and deliberation by the 102 delegates elected for that purpose in the year 1919. . .

TRUSTEES OF HEDDING MEET TO DECIDED COLLEGE FATE: The Hedding College trustee will meet in Abingdon next Friday to decide whether to attempt open that institution again next fall. The buildings are standing idle at the present time and the people of Abingdon are anxious to know what the final decision of the board will be. Many there are anxious to have the college opened again by the Methodists. Others are of the opinion that the business men of the city should start a movement to get some state institution housed in the college buildings. It is expected that the trustees will vote to recommend to the conference that the doors of Hedding College be closed forever...

One of Dr. Green's great arguments was that Hedding College couldn't be supported here. That statement appears very inconsistent since reports have been received of the leading denominations in the colleges of the west. At Lombard, a Universalist school, the Methodists lead; at Knox acknowledged as a Congregational institution, the Methodist lead; they are far in the lead at Northwestern, of course and even the largest enrollment at the University of Chicago. There is certainly a place for two Methodist colleges in the State of Illinois.

(Here is the story of a local boy who was awarded the Medal of Honor. He was born June 5, 1890 at Silver Run, Maryland to Addison S. and Sarah C. Morelandand; he had two older sisters, Grace and Mary. He died June 5, 1964 and is buried in Arlington Cemetery, Washington, D.C. A reserve center at Hunt Armory, and a hazardous land fill in the Pittsburg, Pa. area are named for him.)

WORLD WAR I HERO: Monmouth, Il.-Sterling Morelock of Henderson County is now listed among the bravest of the brave of his country's highest honors for gallantry in action having been bestowed upon him yesterday afternoon at fitting military ceremonies. The awarding of the Congressional Medal of Honor took place Sunday afternoon at the west entrance of the public square before a crowd of several hundred persons, citizens of Warren and Henderson County alike.

Long before the hour of the ceremony, the crowd started assembling and when three o'clock came all places of vantage were taken. All around the edge of the big enclosure there was a solid wall of humanity and when Major Bereth awarded the Medal of Honor to Morelock deafening applause broke forth.

Shortly after three o'clock the first battalion of the 123rd F.A. consisting of Battery B, the Combat Train and a detail from Battery A of Galesburg entered the enclosure. The troops were deployed in the square where Major Bereth and his aid, Lieut. Ahlstrand, were waiting with the presentation of the medal and to be read to the battalion by Captain Hardin, adjutant to the major. Three outfits were then called to attention, guidons (small flags) were dropped and the medal was presented by the major.

The battalion then passed in review and after the troops had left the enclosure, citizens rushed to congratulate Morelock. Owing to his physical condition he was not permitted to stand long in the open, being taken back to the armory in the official car of Major Bereth.

Morelock took the honor bestowed upon him yesterday as a matter of course. To an Atlas reporter he stated that a man cannot be held accountable for what he does in battle. "There is so much danger that no job seems worse than any other," Morelock said. "I did not have any idea that I had earned this high honor," Morelock stated. "Some time ago I received notice that the medal had been awarded, but I thought they had me mixed up with some other soldier by the same name. The work of getting the medal for me was done by my commanding officers who did not inform me as to what they were doing. I am sorry that Lieutenant Lawton could not be here but from what I know of the injuries he received, he must be in bad condition physically now. I certainly appreciate the medal and will treasure it as long as I live."

The Citation

For the benefit of those who have not read the official citation on which Mr. Morelock was awarded the highest honor, it is being reprinted today as follows:

"Sterling Morelock, No. 2261521 Private, Company M. 28th Infantry, 1st Division. For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty to action with the enemy near Exermont, France, Oct. 4, 1918. While his company was being held up by heavy enemy fire, Private Morelock with three other men who were acting as runners at Company headquarters voluntarily led them as a patrol in advance of his company's front line through an intense rifle, artillery and machine gun fire and penetrated a woods which formed the German front line. Encountering a series of five hostile machine gun nests, containing from one to five machines in each, with his patrol he cleaned them all out, gained and held complete mastery of the situation until the arrival of his company commander with enforcements even though his entire party had become causalities. He rendered first aid to the injured and evacuated them by using as stretcher bearers then German prisoners whom he had captured. Soon thereafter his company commander was wounded and while dressing his wound, Private Morelock was very seriously wounded in the hip, which forced his evacuation. His hero's action and devotion to duty were an inspiration to the entire regiment.

In connection with the reading of the citation, Captain Hardin also read the following: War Department, The Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D.C., Oct. 12, 1922. "Under the provisions of the act of Congress approved July 9, 1918 as amended by the act of Congress approved April 7, 1922, the Congressional Medal of Honor was awarded by the War Department in the name of Congress on Oct. 7, 1922 to Sterling Morelock, Private, Company M, 28th Infantry, 1st Division. (Having recently, read Over There and Back Again by Lt. Joseph F. Smith detailing his experience as a soldier in Canadian, British and American armies at the front and no man's land, I sincerely appreciate Pvt. Morelock bravery. This book was recently donated to the World War I Museum in Kansas City, Mo. by a Henderson County resident.)

28th Infantry in World War I

Following the entry of the US into WWI, the Regiment was assigned on June 8, 1917 to the First Expeditionary Division which later became the First Infantry Division. On June 29, the men of Company K became the first American combat unit to set foot on European soil at St. Nazaire, France. The Regiment distinguished itself by conducting the first offensive operations by US troops in WWI at Cantigny, where, in a viciously fought three-day battle, the 28th Infantry captured the town of Cantigny and then withstood five determined German counterattacks. Here the "Lions of Cantigny" were born and the prestige of the American fighting man was upheld before the world. The Regiment also fought in the battles of Soissons, the Argonne and Sedan. It suffered more than 5000 casualties in this war. Three of its members were awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for their heroism: Sergeant Michael B. Ellis of Co B, Private Sterling Morelock of Co M and 2nd Lieutenant Samuel I. Parker of Co K.

Regimental Arms of the 28th Infantry

SETTLED THE CASE: Attorney O.C. Kirkpatrick of Dallas City was in Stronghurst on his way home from Oquawka where he settled the claim of William Atwell Estate against the Santa Fe Railway Co.  Mr. Atwell will be remembered as being killed by a train on the high bridge east of Media on Sept. 6th while on guard duty during the strike. Mr. Kirkpatrick was employed by the widow and the case was settled in county court on payment of $1,000. ($13,540 in today's values)

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Winfred Drew of Peoria came for an over Sunday visit with her friend, Alta Marie Reynolds.  Vern O. Wood, who has been working in a garage at Smithshire, has moved his family to Media where he has accepted a position in the Media garage.  Orville McKeown, who is attending Monmouth College, qualified for the cross country run at the annual Thanksgiving event.  The Willing Workers of the U. P. Church will give an oyster supper in the church basement Friday evening.  An entertainment will be given by the ladies of the Missionary Society. 

Government surveyors are now surveying for a sea wall to be built along the water front at Dallas City, the money having been appropriated by Congress a short time ago.  The waves of Lake Cooper have played havoc with the river front and at some points washed clear over the road and an appeal was made to the government to take some action to save the property damage.  J.W.Decker purchased the Jesse Fort property sold at Master's sale-consideration $700.  Rev. E. F. Aikens of Perry, N.Y. whose wife is a daughter of the late Samuel Black of Olena, visited the T.R. Marshall home and other relatives in the vicinity.  Mr. and Mrs. M. E. Beardsley were called to Chicago by the death of August Andrea, a brother-in-law of Earl and M. E. Beardsley.

The new boulevard lights are now installed on Broadway and all were turned on Friday night for the first time and greatly added to the appearance of the street.  Besides being practical for lighting purposes, they are also quite an ornament as the iron poles are of neat design as well as the globes. 

HE PICKS CORN: Saturday's Monmouth Review contained a story about corn yields on farms in various parts of the country.  Now it offered a story of corn pickers.  The  champion picker of the county has been found according to reliable sources.  He is Frank Scott, who has been working for Sarah Gerlaw all summer on her farm near Gerlaw.  During the 24 days of picking there, he averaged 134 1/3 bushels per day.  On Nov. 6 and 7th he husked 322 bushels and 50 pounds, which is said to be the best that was ever reported in this county.  Last week Mr. Scott picked for Guy Winbigler in Gerlaw neighborhood and picked 800 bushes and did not work any Saturday afternoon.


***WEDDING BELLS***Cupid seems to be shooting his arrows broadcasted among our young people the past few weeks and wedding bells again chimed Nov. 22nd when Miss Gladys Josephine Mathers and Mr. Gail Gerald Heap whose courtship began when they were scarcely more than children ended as they stood before Rev. Ralph Wakefield, pastor of the first M.E. Church of Galesburg and took upon themselves the holy vows which bound them for life.  This wedding although a long looked for event came as a complete surprise to the many friends and relatives of this most excellent and popular couple.  The bride is the only daughter and child of Mrs. Florence Mathers and practically her whole life has been spent among us.  She attended and graduated from our grade and high school and last year took post graduate work at the high school.  She is an earnest and faithful worker in the M. E. Church and fitted in every way to take upon herself the duties of a home maker.

The groom is the third son of Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Heap, a young man of excellent habits and worthy of the bride he has won.  During the World War he served his country overseas.  He is engaged with his father and brothers in farming a large tract of land north of town.  They will reside with the bride s mother. .

Saturday evening a company of their friends, both young and old, turned out and treated them to an old fashioned charivari.  The entire company was invited into the home by the groom where the bride was ready with a large dish of choice candy.

RARITAN REPORTS: The proceeds of the box supper held at Stanley School were close to $30. A number of the community has been attending the Shurtz trail at Burlington.  Alvin Thomas moved his family to his father s farm; his father moved to Monmouth.  Mrs. Frank Voorhees purchased the Louis Hock property which was sold to the highest bidder at Oquawka.  Mrs. Lulu Mc Intyre of Kansas City who has spent the past week with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C.S. Cooper, departed for her home Sunday.  Elbert Calhoun of Lockridge, Iowa, came to assist his uncle, Amos Cavins with corn picking. 

LOMAX LINGERINGS: Robert Scott and wife motored to Galesburg in their car and spent the day with Thomas Howard and wife.  Adam Foggy and a carpenter of New London, Iowa, remodeled Mr. Foggy's cribs.  Lewis Eckhardt, Jr. is doing quite a lot of foundation and walk concrete work for J. H. Farren of the south country.  The Pioneer Lumber Co. is invoicing their local yard making considerable work for the force.  A considerable amount of gravel has been hauled in the low places of the streets and dirt in the larger ones which makes marked improvements.  Mrs. Charlotte Wyatt is at home in her beautiful new home which will meet the most critical eye.  A house warming, organized by some 20 of her club friends, was a complete surprise.