The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central School Board
At the Wednesday, October 21, 2015, regular Board meeting of the West Central
C.U.S.D. #235 Board of Education, the following items took place:
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.in the West Central Elementary
School cafeteria by Board Vice-President Steve Lumbeck. All board members except
Dr. Brent and Mrs. White were present at roll call. Mrs. White entered at 6:01
Vice-President Lumbeck led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- West Central Elementary hosted their annual Muffins with Moms program on Friday,
October 16, 2015. There were over 123 families in attendance. They shared
examples of the Common Core State Standards in the area of math and how these
are taught in the classroom while enjoying a tasty breakfast.
- West Central Pre-K held a successful Fall Family Night.
- Sixty-five dictionaries were donated by the Elks to elementary students to take
- Ms. Johnson received the WMOI/WRAM Teacher of the Week and Teacher of the Month
- A new foreign exchange student, Vanessa Jende, was introduced to the board. West
Central now has five foreign exchange students enrolled.
- West Central High School has established the West Central International Club.
- West Central Middle School will be hosting their first annual community 5K Glow
Run. It will be Thursday, November 5, 2015. Registration begins at 4:30 p.m. The
run will begin at 5:30 p.m. Interested participants may register early. In order
to receive a t-shirt, a participant must register by October 23.
- The following students were announced as WMOI/WRAM West Central Student
- September 2: Chandler Diehl (Football)
- September 9: Brent Nichols (Golf)
- September 16: Danyl McKune (Volleyball)
- September 23: Luke Arnold (Football)
- September 30: Andrea Fullerton (Volleyball)
- October 8: Freeman Shoemaker (Cross Country)
- October 13: Brent Nichols (Golf)
- October 21: Kendra Spiker (Volleyball)
The resignation of John and Shelley Morrison as the West Central High School
softball coaches was approved as additions to the agenda.
The board approved the consent agenda. Items approved under the consent agenda
included the following:
- " The minutes of the September 10, 2015, Special Meeting
- " The minutes of the September 16, 2015 FY16 District Budget Hearing
- " The minutes of the September 16, 2015, Regular Meeting and Closed Session
- " The September 2015 bills, September 2015 building Activity Account Reports,
the September 2015 Treasurer s Report, and review of the District Financial
Mr. Rees presented a request to offer swimming as an extracurricular activity on
behalf of some parents and students who were in attendance. Swimming would be
financially supported by the parents of those students who participate.
In other business the board:
- heard a presentation by Bill Phillips from the Illinois Association of School
Administrators who is also a retired superintendent. Mr. Phillips spoke about
the budget impasse and its impact as well as the impact of some impending
legislation to school districts.
- Superintendent Markey reviewed the district priorities determined at the
spring 2015 Board Planning Retreat.
- discussed offering an ACT prep class.
- discussed the use of the district rental house.
- reviewed and heard reports from the building principals as well as a
technology report from Mrs. Frakes, a report from our district psychologist and
special education director, Nancy Smith, and a report from Ben Rees, our
- approved reinstating the freshmen basketball program and a freshmen basketball
tournament for the FY16 school year. This program will be supported by a group
outside of th e district with the exception of using a school vehicle to
transport to games.
- approved replacing the wooden fence around the greenhouse with a chain link
fence using Mark Muhleman to do the work.
- approved changing the signatory names on the West Central Middle School bank
- approved the request of a student to graduate early.
- approved the FY15 District audit report as presented. It should be noted that
the auditors commented that this was the cleanest audit they had done this year.
They thanked the District office staff Nancy Clark, Shelly Nelson, and Jaime
Shultz for their work to ensure accurate record keeping.
- approved a revised life/safety amendment for West Central Middle School.
- approved a request from Darrell Gittings to allow the West Central High School
FFA to attend the National FFA Convention in Louisville, KY on October 28 30,
- approved the agreement to use Tombstone Bowl in Monmouth, as the bowling
facility for the West Central High School Bowling team.
The board entered closed session at 7:56 p.m. to discuss matters related to
personnel and contract.
The board exited closed session at 8:55 p.m.
The board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- approved a maternity leave request for Jessica Burrell,
- employed Rhonna Hand as a long-term substitute to cover a maternity leave,
- employed Rachel Swigert as the West Central Middle School 6th Grade Girls
- employed Brandy Blender as the West Central High School Assistant Girls
- accepted the resignations of John and Shelley Morrison as the West Central
High School softball coaches.
The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be
Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. in the West Central Elementary
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned
their meeting at 9:00 p.m.