The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central School Board
At the June 17, 2015, regular meeting of the West Central CUSD #235 Board of
Education, the meeting was called to order at 6 p.m. in the elementary cafeteria
by Board President Brent. All board members were present at roll call except Mr.
President Brent then led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance. Mr. Lenahan
entered the meeting at approximately 6:15 p.m.
Under Good News Items, the following things were highlighted:
- Board President Brent welcomed incoming Superintendent Paula Markey, incoming
WCHS Assistant Principal/AD/WCHS Head Football Coach Ben Rees and WCES Assistant
Principal Joe Pilger
- Barry Dowell and Barry Bigger were thanked by the board for cleaning up the
dirt pile on the East side of the south campus next to the Henderson County
- Members of the WCHS Softball team were recognized as follows:
- Kylee Bielser, 2nd Team All-State
- Madison Benge, 3rd Team All-State
- Madison Benge, Kayla Droste and Hannah McIntire: 1st Team All-Conference
- Katie Droste and Kylee Bielser: 2nd Team All-Conference
- Academic All-Conference: Madeline Brent, Kayla Droste, Taylor Rice, Mallory
Lafary, Madison Benge, Grace Brent, Jada Fletcher, Katie Droste, Megan Krieger,
Hannah McIntire, Jordan Peterson and Tori Olson
- Members of the WCHS Baseball Team were recognized as follows:
- Braeden Reed and Justine Alberts: Honorable Mention All-Conference
- Justine Alberts and Landon Bowman: Academic All-Conference
The agenda was approved with one additional item added:
- Item XV.F-3: Consider Approval of Changes to District Checking Account at
Midwest Bank of Western Illinois
There was no one present to address the Board on any agenda topics.
The board approved the Consent Agenda as presented. Items approved under the
Consent Agenda included the following:
- The minutes of the May 20, 2015, Regular Meeting; the May 19, 2015 and May 27,
2015, Special Meeting and the Closed Session Minutes of May 19, 2015, May 20,
2015, and May 27, 2015
- The June, 2015, Prevailing Wage Resolution and wage rates
- Bidding for milk and bread
- The use of the Bank of Stronghurst for the WCES, WCMS and WCHS Activity
- The continued use of Precision Photo Imaging as the School Photographer
- The designation of Paula Markey as the District FOIA office
- The permanent transfer of $28,000 from the Capital Projects Fund to the
Operations and Maintenance Fund
- A request to designate 5 district owned vehicles and the flagpole at Media as
surplus property and directed the Superintendent to dispose of the surplus
property. The vehicles will be sold as scrap and the flag pole will be donated
to the Henderson County Fair Board.
- A request by WCHS student Whitney Finley to attend school half days during the
second semester of the 2015-2016 school year in order so that she may attend
Southeastern Community College during that time.
- An agreement with McDonough District Hospital of Macomb to continue providing
services related to the district random student drug testing program. There will
be no cost increase to this program with this new contract.
- An amended Memorandum of Understanding No. 17 between the board and WCATS
regarding Overload Pay for teachers under certain conditions. The changes were
minor in nature and did not affect the intent of the previously approved MOU
- An agreement with Oaklane Nursing Home for continuing to provide Certified
Nursing Assistant (CNA) program services. The agreement with Oaklane will be
contingent upon the nursing home being able to secure an IDPH certified
Under Financial Activity, the board:
- Approved all bills as presented as well as several additional bills that were
received this week
- Approved the Activity Accounts for WCHS, WCMS and WCES as presented
- Approved the district Treasurer's Report as presented
- Heard a report from Superintendent Grimm that indicated that as of June 12,
2015, revenue received was at 94.30% of budget and that expenditures were at
75.18% of budget. The board was informed that as of June 17, 2015, the State of
Illinois owed District 235 $73,057. The Superintendent also informed the board
that it appeared that the district would receive about $400,000 less revenue
than had been budgeted to receive in FY 15.
In other business the board:
- approved the purchase of a 2015 John Deere X750 tractor and various
attachments from Martin and Sullivan John Deere of Monmouth. Total cost of the
tractor and attachments is $11,400.
- approved a recommendation to change the name on the district credit card
account to reflect the change in the District Superintendent.
- approved the base bid of $142,000 submitted by the Crawford Company for the
WCES Boiler Replacement Project. Work on this project is to start on July 10,
2015, and be complete by October 1, 2015.
- briefly discussed again hosting the back to school lunch for teachers on
August 17, 2015. The board agreed to host this luncheon.
- heard a brief update from Superintendent Grimm on the work that the janitors
have completed to date this summer.
- briefly discussed issues related to the WCMS Baseball program and the large
number of sixth grade boys who wish to play baseball each year.
There were no items listed as future agenda items.
The board entered closed session at 6:51 p.m. to discuss matters related to
personnel. The board exited closed session at 7:24 p.m. and took the following
- Accepted the resignation of Justin Rakestraw as WCMS and WCHS Special Ed
- Accepted the resignation of Jesse Winget as WCHS Science Teacher. Mr. Winget
had been hired previously to start in August of 2015.
- Employed Benjamin Rees as WCHS Assistant Principal/District Athletic Director
and WCHS Head Football Coach
- Employed Chaim McGuire as WCHS and WCES Art Teacher
- Employed Tim O Toole as WCHS Science Teacher
- Employed Deb Cole as the District Treasurer
- Approved the 2015-2016 Extra Duty Sponsor List as presented
- Accepted the resignation of Jamie Hennings as WCES Enrichment Sponsor
- Accepted the resignation of Victoria Tapscott as WCMS 7th Grade Volleyball
- Accepted the resignation of Jacinda Reighard as WCMS 6th Grade Volleyball
- Accepted the resignation of Mike Radloff as WCHS Assistant Football Coach
- Employed Jacinda Reighard as WCMS 7th Grade Volleyball Coach
- Employed Victoria Tapscott as WCHS Assistant Volleyball Coach
- Employed Jennifer Olson as WCMS 6th Grade Volleyball Coach
- The board approved the list of exempt staff salaries as presented.
- The board approved the payment of 26.5 vacation days for Superintendent Grimm.
- The board approved a request to remove Ralph Grimm from the District Checking
Account due to his resignation from the district and to add Deb Cole's name to
the District Checking account as the District Treasurer effective July 1, 2015.
The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be
Wednesday, July 15, 2015.
There being no other business to come before the board the board adjourned their
meeting at 7:34 p.m.