The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Board Conducts Hearing For Selling Bonds
At the Wednesday, August 19, 2015, rescheduled regular board meeting of the West
Central C.U.S.D. #235 Board of Education, the board conducted a Public Hearing
concerning the intent of the board of Education of Community Unit School
District Number 235 to sell $1,852,000 School Fire Prevention and Safety Bonds.
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Board President Brent, who led
the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance. All oard members were present at roll
Under Good News Items the following items were highlighted:
- The board commented on how nice the facilities look and thanked the staff for
their efforts in getting it ready for the start of school.
- The board commented on how well registration was conducted and commended the
staff in their efforts.
- Mr. Schneider shared about the new mentoring program at the high school.
- The 6th and 9th grade Jumpstart Programs were successful with good attendance.
- The Locker Nights and Elementary Back to School Night was well attended and
- Mrs. Lafary shared that 111 elementary students completed their summer reading
- The board communicated their appreciation for the presence of the superintendent
at Locker Night.
- The board was thanked for preparing and serving the luncheon on the Teacher
- The board approved the meeting agenda with the following items being added to
the Discussion Items portion of the agenda:
XI-C Zach Bundy Memorial
XI-D IASB Fall Meeting
XI-E Freezer at the Middle School ( There was no one present to address the
Board on any agenda topics.
The board approved the Consent Agenda. Items approved under the Consent Agenda
included the following:
- The minutes of the July 15, 2015, Regular Meeting and Closed Session
- The payment of all bills as presented, the June and July building Activity
Account Reports, the July Treasurer s Report, and review of the District
In other business:
- approved the use of Stifel Nicolaus of St. Louis, MO as bond underwriters for
the sale of School Fire Prevention and Safety Bonds.
- approved revisions to the following board policies:
- Policy 2:25 School Board: Access to District Public Records,
- Policy 3:40
General School Administration & Superintendent,
- Policy 3:50 General School
Administration - Administrative Personnel Other Than the Superintendent,
3:60 General School Administration &Administrative Responsibility of the
- Policy 4:45 Operational Services & Insufficient Fund Checks
and Debt Recovery,
- Policy 5:40 General Personnel & Communicable and Chronic
- Policy 5:120 General Personnel & Ethics and Conduct,
5:180 General Personnel & Temporary Illness or Temporary Incapacity,
5:270 Educational Support Personnel - Employment At-Will, Compensation and
- Policy 5:290 Educational Support Personnel & Employment Termination
- Policy 5:330 Education Support Personnel - Sick Days, Vacation,
Holidays and Leaves,
- Policy 6:15 Instruction - School Accountability,
6:40 Instruction - Curriculum Development,
- Policy 2:260 Board of Education -
Uniform Grievance Procedure, Policy
- 5:10 Personnel - Equal Employment
Opportunity and Minority Recruitment,
- Policy 5:20 Personnel - Workplace
- Policy 7:20 Students - Harassment of Students Prohibited,
- Policy 8:70 Community Relations - Accommodating Individuals with Disabilities
- approved the 2015 Architects Annual Inspection Report for District Owned
- approved the authorization of Nancy Clark to take the necessary steps to
change the name on the Gerling Scholarship account from Ralph Grimm to Paula
- reviewed and heard reports from the building principals as well as a
Technology Report from Mrs. Frakes and a report from our District Psychologist
and Special Education Director, Nancy Smith.
- heard a report from Superintendent Markey on the opening of the 2015-2016
- Superintendent Markey reviewed 2014-2015 ACT scores data for West Central High
- discussed the wishes of the family of Zach Bundy for the Zach Bundy Memorial.
- Superintendent Markey discussed with the board the Illinois Association of
School Board Fall Meeting and invited Board members to attend.
- discussed a secondary non-working freezer at the Middle School and the repairs
needed to it.
- entered closed session at 6:59 p.m. to discuss matters related to personnel.
The board exited closed session at 7:35 p.m.
The Board took the following action in regards to personnel:
- accepted the resignation of Adam Boyle, Art Club Sponsor,
- employed Chaim McGuire, Art Club Sponsor,
- employed Tim O'Toole, Freshman Class Sponsor,
- employed Shawn Gibbs, Middle School Assistant Football Coach,
- The board was reminded that the next regularly scheduled meeting will be
Wednesday, September 16, 2015.
- A Budget Hearing will be conducted at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, September 16,
- New teachers will be present to be introduced to the board.
The board adjourned their meeting at 7:43 p.m.