The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, March 23, 1922

TERRIBLE TRAGEDY: Mary June Whiteman, age 11, and Glenndine Myers, age 12, were drowned in the old quarry pit along the C.B.& Q. tracks about a quarter of a mile from Biggsville yesterday evening. After school the girls informed their mothers that they were going out to play and would not be gone long. When they failed to return home about six o'clock, the parents dismissed their worries thinking that probably the girls might be at one of the two homes. But later, on inquiry, they found that this was not true and becoming alarmed, they organized a search party.

A careful search along the railroad track was first made without revealing their whereabouts. It was then suggest that they search the old quarry pit. Being between the hours of seven and eight, flashlights were used and the first light thrown on the small body of water revealed the objects of their search floating on the surface. The bodies were recovered and the coroner notified who arrived some time during the night.

The supposition is that the girls met their death while playing along the tracks and came too close to the edge of the steep embankment and probably one losing her balance clutched her companion and both fell to their death. The water was not deep where the bodies were found. It is likely that they were rendered unconscious by their fall before they struck the water.

Mary Jane Whiteman was the youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. J.Y. Whiteman. Mr. Whiteman is the cashier of the First National Bank of Biggsville. Glenndine Myers was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Myers. Mr. Myers is employed on the C.B.& Q. section at Biggsville.

The remains of Glenndine Myers will be taken to Missouri for burial. The funeral of Mary June Whiteman will beheld some time Saturday.

SCHOOL OPEN MONDAY: The fact that a new case of scarlet fever developed in the community last week caused a ban on all public gatherings and school was closed Friday as a precaution. No new cases were reported so there will be services at all churches Sunday and school will open Monday.

Dr. H. L. Marshall, Health Officer, requests that all pupils of the grades and high school be at the school at 8 o'clock for examination. After passing the exam, a card signed by the Health Officer will be issued to the pupil who in turn must present it to the Supt. of Schools or to their teacher. All pupils who do not present themselves will have to report to Dr. Marshall's office if contemplating returning to school. In order to get the school back to normalcy, the parents are requested to co-operate with officials.

STRONGHURST MAN WINS DEBATE: Robert N. Clarke of Stronghurst in charge of the Illinois organization for the United States Grain Growers "cleaned up" in a debate with R.I. Mansfield, a representative of the Board of Trade at Walnut, Ill. last Friday evening. The subject of discussion was "Resolved, that the present grain marketing system is inefficient and that the proposed plan of the U.S.G.G. will eliminate existing evils." Between 200-300 people were present and press dispatches said Clarke had all the best of the argument.

DEDICATES CHURCH: The new Methodist Church at Dallas City was dedicated last Sunday. The edifice erected at a cost of $35,000, is now ready for use. It is composed of brick and constructed throughout on modern plan. Ground for this magnificent temple of worship one of the finest in Hancock County, was broken in May 1920 and the corner stone laid on Aug. 29th of the same year.

In spite of stormy weather the church was filled to over flowing to hear Bishop Thomas Nicholson's sermon and witness the ceremonies which would consecrate the house to the sacred cause of religion...

FUGITIVES ON THE TRAIN: Last Friday afternoon local agent, C. L. Decker of the Santa Fe, received a telegram that was thrown off an east bound freight train by the conductor somewhere between Fort Madison and Stronghurst stating that a man and girl were discovered stealing a ride and requested the agent notify the marshal and take them into custody upon the arrival of the train here. Marshal Rezner was notified, but through some misunderstanding failed to be on hand when the train pulled in. The pair lost no time in making a hasty exit and when last seen were beating it toward the direction of the setting sun. The man was described as being about 35 years old and somewhat lame. The girl had the appearance of being about 15 or 16 years old.

From the Fort Madison Democrat: "While startled residents of 400 and 500 Front St. looked on, a young man aided a girl about 17 years old aboard a rapidly moving east bound freight train on the Santa Fe yesterday afternoon and after she had climbed to a place on the bumpers between the cars, he swung on the next car.

Police were immediately notified by M. I. Brown and efforts were made by Assistant chief of Police George Harry to have the couple taken from the train at Stronghurst, Ill, the first stop. An officer looked over the train but reported that the couple had gotten off before the train reached there.

The young man was well dressed and the girl was neatly and tastefully attired. She wore short skirts and her hair was bobbed.

Fears that the girl would meet with an accident were generally expressed by those who saw her in the act of boarding the train. After getting on the train she was forced to stand on a narrow rod upon the buffer of the coupler with the attending danger of having one of her feet crushed between the couplers.

Whether the couple were eloping or were returning to their home in one of the small towns on the Santa Fe in Illinois has not been learned."

ARE YOU A MEMBER OF THE YELLOW DOG CLUB? An organization that started a few weeks ago and whose membership has increased by leaps and bounds, is the "Yellow Dog Club," which no doubt will be a permanent organization and one that will reflect credit to our community and probably prove to be a savior to civilization.

Pause a moment and consider what this organization means to Stronghurst. Up to the time of its organization and growing canine population, we could only boast of one lone "Yellow Dog." Now we can proudly assert that according to our population we have the greatest representative body of "Yellow Dogs" in the world. We will also realize benefits in a commercial way.

Members of the canine species as a rule are clannish, other "Yellow Dogs" near and far will hear of this great movement fostered by their brothers and will flock to our town, better to acquaint themselves of the real purpose and benefits to be derived as a member of this loyal order. Upon their arrival, by being treated with our courtesy and respect, they will decide to make this their permanent abode. Next week the names of the Grand Head Dog and other officers of the order will be published. (Obviously, this is a local joke.)

BIGGSVILLE SHOCKED BY DEATH OF THOMAS STEWART: The people of Biggsville and this community were deeply grieved by the death of Tom Stewart, who passed away last Thursday at the Monmouth Hospital. While it was known that he was seriously ill, it was hoped that he would recover.

Mr. Stewart was held in high esteem by all who knew him and universal regret is expressed for his untimely death. The death of his brother, John, and a week later of his sister-in-law, John's wife, at their home in York, Pa. and the passing of his brother, Harry, at Pasadena, Calif., a couple of weeks later, the long journeys to attend the funerals together with the shock and grief so exhausted his nervous system that he was unable to rally. He was the last surviving member of the family. The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the widow and five young children. Funeral services were held last Saturday afternoon at the United Presbyterian church in Biggsville. Burial was in the Biggsville Cemetery.

ROADS TO BE OILED: Commissioners representing several different townships met to arrange the final plans for oiling the roads in this vicinity which will begin as soon as weather permits. The following are the roads to be oiled: from Oquawka to the county line on the Monmouth Road and also to Gladstone; from Stevens corner south through Stronghurst to the William Nolan corner(Raritan Road); Raritan township will oil east from the Nolan corner to the county line east of Raritan and through the village of Raritan and from Raritan north to the Media line; from the Heisler corner(Olena Road intersection with Highway 94) the road will be oiled to where the Peoria trail leaves the township in Warren County and from Media to Raritan.

The county will oil from Hopper to the Chas. Heisler corner. Commissioner Marshall will oil the road from Olena to the city limits and from the Maple Grove corner to the city limits. Dallas City will oil a continuous road from Dallas to two and one-half miles northeast of Carman. It is hoped that the enterprising citizens of Burlington will continue the road from there on. All roads will be eight feet wide except those oiled by Commissioner Marshall which will be twelve feet wide. The difference in width is to being taken care of by the township.

Business men of Blandinsville are planning to continue the oil road on into Blandinsville where the township leaves off. So it is up to us in Stronghurst not to leave any gaps. For example, the Joe Dixson, OJ. Sanderson and the Chas. Kirby sections have never been oiled by Stronghurst. As the city limits extend to these points, we should continue our oiling to where the township leaves off. If Blandinsville is willing to oil a stretch of several miles besides oiling their own streets, surely we can oil the surrounding sections that the townships do not include.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Ed Bowen returned to his home in Batavia. Miss Mabel Rankin, who is teaching school at Ormonde, Ill. came home for the week end. Mr. and Mrs. John Shick accepted a position to work for a lineman gang on the Western Union Telegraph Co. and left for Chicago. Lyman M. Fort of Mitchell, South Dakota, made a visit with home folks. Margaret Bivars of Lomax, who attends Stronghurst High School and who has been staying at the F. M. Bane home returned to her home to stay until the school re-opens. Mr. and Mrs. Ray Wolfe, who have been living in the Mary Morgan property, are moving into the Campbell residence, which has been occupied by Mr. Howard Peck. Mrs. L.E. McAndrews entertained the bridge club at her home Thursday afternoon. The young people of the Y.P.C.U. Society of the U.P. Church were entertained at a St. Patrick's party at the U.P. Church in Biggsville. Only a few were able to attend because of prevailing sickness in the form of influenza, severe colds and condition of the roads.

A crowd of fifteen young couples held merry at the home of Mr. and Ms. Meredith Lovitt. It was the outcome of a successfully engineered surprise on the couple who was not at all aware of the coming event until the crowd rushed in and took immediate possession of their home. Being St. Patrick's Day, the styles of old "Erin" were much in vogue-the ladies wearing green aprons and the gentlemen attired in overalls and wide flaring green neckties. The evening was spent in dancing and different forms of entertainment. At a late hour the guests departed.

HOSPITAL REPORT: Joe Peasley, who was operated on for appendicitis, is convalescing and expects to be brought home in a short time. Mrs. J. A. Mahaffey, wife of Rev. J.A. Mahaffey, is recovering slowly from the operation for appendicitis performed a few weeks ago. Blanche Sullivan, accompanied by her mother, was taken to the Burlington Hospital to be operated on for appendicitis. Dr. John Mudd, ho is in Peoria hospital, is reported to be recovering gradually but will not be able to come home for several weeks. (It seems at this time that appendicitis was almost epidemic.)

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Judge E. W. Dunham of Durham and Judge J. W. Williams and Master in Chancery Samuel Naylor of Carthage were in Monmouth were they went before Circuit Judge Graham and secured an injunction against the city of La Harpe, restraining the city from collecting rents that had been paid to the trustees in the Johnson estate.  This ties up the $10,000 suit brought by La Harpe against F. W. Dunham.  He is trying to get the entire Johnson case settled and still entertains hope that success will crown his efforts.  He is representing the only heir at law, Roy Bishop, who lives in Idaho.  Dale Davis shipped four loads of cattle to Chicago.  Erman Dodds arrived home from Gulfport, Miss. where he was called on business.  A white robin was the center of attraction on the vacant lot between the Co-operative store and the barber shop.  A white robin has been paying a visit to this locality for the past several years. Charles Forbes in now carrying the mail to and from the depot.  Mrs. Charles Kirby returned from a visit with her brother, James Milligan in Smithshire.  Manley Staley departed for Galesburg to visit his sister, Mrs. Roxella Wanders.  The ladies of the Christian Church are preparing a Bazaar in the church basement on April 15th.  A number of aprons, dust caps and other articles as well as home made rag rugs will be for sale.  A bake sale will be held as well as sandwiches and coffee offered in the afternoon.  The Mississippi River is now at flood stage and no doubt is causing some trouble at the Keokuk dam. 

Eugene Wilson, who has been enjoying a two months vacation spent in sight-seeing in the West, returned home.  His first stop was at Kingsley, Kansas, where he visited with relatives, thence to Albuquerque, N. Mex., where he visited with his old school mate, Lloyd Chant.  At Williams, Arizona he took the side trip to the Grand Canyon, where in company with numerous other tourists, he rode burros and descended 6,000 feet to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and the Colorado River.  He stopped off at San Bernardino and visited a friend whom he knew in Galesburg.  He then proceeded to San Diego where he spent the remainder of his time.  The city is quite a famous tourist site and the largest per cent of the Pacific fleet is harbored in the bay.  He then took a short ride to  Old Mexico and viewed the sites offered.   (1922 tour of the West)

PRISON AT FORT MADISON: The death cell at Fort Madison Prison now shelters nine men waiting the noose for murders committed in Iowa within the past year and a half.  The nearest to the halter are Eugene Weeks and Orrie Cross, sentenced to death at Des Moines for the murder of George A. Fosdick, a Des Moines grocer.  Weeks was sentenced to hang April 15, 1922, but his execution may be postponed for a time to allow his appeal to the Supreme Court to be heard.  It is unlikely that the appeal will be disposed of before May.  Orrie Cross is under sentence to hang on May 1, 1922.  The seven others, on whom the sentence of death has been passed, will go to their doom at different times between May of this year and March of the next.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: The Staley building where the new bakery is to be located is having the interior remodeled and painted.  Will Gibb is confined to his home with the flu.  The members of the Book Club north of town were entertained at the home of Mrs. Elmer Epperly at a St. Patrick s party.  As guests arrived, each was given a shamrock favor to be worn during the afternoon.  The house was decorated in green and white and a prominent object was the Blarney Stone, which guests kissed after making a rush.  The afternoon was passed in sewing and visiting and a two-course lunch was served.  Several trees will be planted on the school ground in memory of the boys from here who were in the world war.  A committee of the Community Club with Mrs. Welch as chairman has charge of the arrangement.  Henry R. Rathbone of Chicago will be the speaker on April 3rd for the event.

Funeral services here held at the U.P. Church for the late Thomas Stewart.  The song service was by a male quartet consisting of Will Stevenson, Walter Cochran, Tom Glenn and Chas. Graham with Miss Lucile Zimmerman at the piano.  Casket bearers were cousins, Cecil, Ralph, Chas. and Byron Stewart, Chas. Pogue and Frank Lant...

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: The pupils of the grade school under the direction of their teachers will present the play,  Just Plain Dot, at the public school building on March 31st...(all characters are identified).  The Community Club met at the club rooms for the annual election of officers: Pres., Mrs. Dan Campbell; Vice president, Mrs. Charles Gibson; Sec y., Mrs. Alphonso Beall; Treas., Mrs. David Gilliland.  A musical program given by Mrs. Joe Campbell, Misses Ruth Howell, Zelma Campbell and Edythe Sutton was enjoyed.  Two new members, Mesdames Joe Campbell and Eldon White were added to the roll.  Refreshments of brown and white bread and butter sandwiches, chicken salad, potato chips, cocoa with marshmallow and stuffed dates were served by the hostesses Mesdames Geo. Hickman and B. A. Hoffman.  The stork left a 6 lb. girl at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Miller; she will answer to the name of Edyth Marcelle.  Mr. and Mrs. Russell Mathers are the proud parents of daughters.  Mr. and Mrs. Joe Cromwell are moving to the McMillan farm near Stronghurst.  Emory Cavins assumed his duties as R.F.D. carrier. Mrs. Almira J. Bacon quietly celebrated her 91st birthday.  A large birthday cake was presented her by Mrs. J. E. Lawyer which bore 91 candles and the word  Mother.   Mrs. Bacon is enjoying the best of health and assists her daughter, Mrs. Florence Mathers with whom she makes her home with the house work, even to the carrying of wood and coal.  She enjoys reading and does quite a little sewing.  These things are certainly remarkable for one of her age. (Don t we all wish we could be as active at that age?) Miss Florence Gram, who teaches at Maquon, Ill. spent the weekend with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. N.J. Gram.  B. Leftwick is beginning to clear the debris from the gourds on which the garage burned last summer for the purpose of erecting a cement block building for a garage.

CARMAN CONCERNS: Alvin Burnett and Mrs. L.V. Jones are quite sick. Mrs. Moore of Carthage Lake is very sick with lockjaw. Mrs. Rozetta Bradway was in attendance at the teachers' institute at Oquawka. Mrs. Lou Babcook of Mexico, Mo. is visiting at the A. C. Babcook home. Albert Graham and family have moved to one of Bev Vaughan's farms near Lomax. Mrs. Grace Crane recently returned from a visit with Mrs. Volga Logan Platt at her home in Mississippi. Paul Pendry, Warren Pershain and Frank Marsden have the grippe. Mr. W. T. Love of the City of Dreams (Lomax?) was calling in the village. (Mr. Love had hoped to make Lomax an industrial center but alas, failed.)

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: George and Cecil Christy and Harry Blackstone attended Masonic lodge at Oquawka. Mrs. W. M. Graham and Mrs. W. D. Colley entertained at tea Mrs. Will Carmichael of Naperville, Ill. Work will soon commence on the hard road south of town. A carload of machinery was taken from here to where the work will start on the road. Prof. Blackstone, Ed Foyd Galbraith and Adam Sandy were delegates to the Warren-Henderson County "Older Boys Conference" held at Monmouth Friday and Saturday; George Lewis registered but was unable to attend. Harry Blackstone was elected secretary-treasurer of this organization. The "Standard Bearers" Society met at the home of Mrs. John Fryer. Charles Hedges is planting several acres of hedge on his sand farm southwest of town. Ed Randall and Paul Galbraith have returned to their work in southern Texas. Marie Jaeger was a new student enrolled in the grammar room.

LOMAX LINGERINGS: Mrs. Joe Starkey who has been quite sick for weeks is improving. Miss Luella Neff left for her future home in Peoria. Gus Nixon and wife moved to their farm south of town. S. F. Tannus made a business trip to Chicago in the interest of the Economy Mfg. Co. H. L. Vandruff has opened up a pool room in the north half of the L. W. Porter building. A. K. Rice had opened up a shoe and harness shop in the other part. Lee Roy Pence moved from the central office to the R.J. Porter property. J. W. Jolly and family will move to the central office.