The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, July 20, 1922

FAREWELL PARTY: A farewell picnic was given by the ladies of the bridge club and their husbands for Mr. and Mrs. Sterling Simpson at Lake Fort. Mr. Simpson has purchased half interest in an undertaking firm at Centerville, Iowa and will take up his work there the first of the month.

ORDERED TO CLINTON: Orders were received from the adjutant general's office at Springfield ordering the first battalion of the 123rd Field Artillery to Clinton, Ill., for strike duty. . .At least 150 men and officers are to be taken there where they will relieve a battalion of the 130th Infantry which is due to go to camp for regular summer training. It is just a change in troops, not any fresh outbreak of disorder...-Monmouth Review

SCOUTS RETURN: The Boy Scouts in charge of Scoutmaster Leslie McMillan returned from their ten day encampment at Camp Paden which is located at Galesburg, Ill. They all look hale and hearty and report having a fine time.

TERRIBLE COLLISION: Mrs. Sarah McCutcheon, a former resident of Macomb, is dead, her daughter, Sadie, is believed to mortally injured, the wife and baby daughter of Roy Pugh, former Bardolph man, are dead and Albert Peterson, a brother of Mrs. Pugh, is in a precarious condition as the result of an auto accident at 4:30 Sunday afternoon near Henderson about four miles north of Galesburg when the car in which they were riding was struck by a passenger train and hurled 30 or 40 feet into the fence along the railroad right of way. Roy Pugh, driver of the car, sustained a bad scalp wound.

The party had been out picking blackberries and was on their way back to Galesburg. It was a dangerous crossing with a high bank hiding a view of the track. The victims saw the train first about 200 feet away. The driver tried to back off the track and the train struck the left front fender whirling the machine around directly in front of it.

THEY'RE COMING: The 17 year locust of cicada may be expected in Illinois. A big brood will appear in Eastern Iowa and this vicinity. Unlike the locusts of the Bible, which were really destructive grasshoppers, the 17 year locust does but little damage of a serious nature. There are 30 broods scattered over the United States in different sections and appearing in different years. From 1924 to 1928 almost no cicada will be seen. (In 2014 they were to appear here.)

MARRIED: On July 12th in Burlington, Iowa at the home of Rev. Tull, Miss Mary Pitts and Raymond Wolford of Decorra, Ill. were married. Miss Pitt was a graduate of Stronghurst High School this spring and had a certificate to teach, but Dan Cupid hailed her. She is the youngest daughter of J.N. and Mary Pitt. Mr. Wolford is a farmer near Decorra and has many friends.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: The Olena Homecoming will be Saturday, July 29th in the church yard. George Best, aged 83 years, 4 months and 10 days, died at his home two and one-half miles northwest of town yesterday. He is survived by one sister, Miss Belle Best. Funeral service will be at the home. A dinner party in honor of the 79th birthday of Mrs. S. A. Barnett, mother of George Barnett, was held at Kirkwood. About 32 children, grandchildren and children were present. Messrs Ben and Felix Elsea of Moberly, Mo. and John Elsea of Chico, Calif. arrived for a short visit with their sister Mrs. Dr. F.M. Henderson.

Considerable excitement was caused in Fort Madison last week by a party of four strike sympathizers kidnapping C. L. Mason of Marceline, Mo., Supt. of the Missouri division of the Santa Fe. R.R. there. They took him to within seven miles of Danville, Iowa and dumped him in a lonely spot with instruction to keep on walking. The following day Ray Kettell, Jas. Phillips, Edw. Hass and Victor Jackson all striking employees of the railroad shops, were arrested. The Lomax Boiler Co. filed a petition in bankruptcy in the federal court at Peoria stating its liabilities at $100,814.61 and its assets at $77,349.44. Mr. and Mrs. Will Woods accompanied by Chester Woods and Miss Evelyn Sneeburg motored from Keokuk last Sunday and spent the first part of the week at the home of J. B. Staley. Roseville, Ill. is to have boulevard yard lights in the business section of the town. The village pays one-half and citizens the other half. Roseville is one of cleanest and neatest villages of its size in Illinois and its citizens are enterprising and up to date. Mrs. E. Thyseen, who has been running the "Hat Shop," which was located at the Hollingsworth Building, closed out her stock and with her little daughter "Betty" left for Canton, Mo. at which place she has purchased a millinery store. The room vacated by her has been leased to the Community Club who will move into the building at once. Being centrally located, the room should be of much benefit to the public and should make an ideal rest room.

A NARROW ESCAPE: C. T. Nelson, prominent farmer and stockman, who lives north of town, had an exciting experience Monday evening about 5 p.m. He was coming across the railroad track at the stock yards when a screaming whistle hailed his attention to the fact that a freight train was swooping down on him and about 50 feet distance. In his excited haste to hurry off the track he touched the wrong button and killed the engine right in the middle of the track. He jumped. He stood by and saw the engine hit his big 7 passenger Buick and jam it off against the cattle guard crushing both doors and destroying the body and fenders. The machinery was not damaged and he jumped in and rode way under his own power. The fact that the freight was running slowly was all that prevented a tragedy.-Blandinsville Star Gazette

DRAINING THE POND: The south pond at Lake Fort is being drained in an effort to kill out the growth of moss that has accumulated the past few years. The water is being drained into the pond adjacent and quite a few fish are going through the runway. The pond, when free from moss, will make fishing a lot better and also make clearer ice for next summer's consumption.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Roy Kilgore who is cook for a gang of bridge men near Princeton, spent the Sabbath with Mrs. Kilgore and daughter Jane. Mr. and Mrs. Roy Booth and children of Red Oak visited the home of the lady's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Graham. The Community Club held their regular meeting in the park with Mrs. J. M. McIntosh, Mrs. A.W. Pearson, Mrs. John Rezner and Mrs. Ella Gifillan being hostesses. A program of flower planting ended with refreshments of pineapple sherbet and wafers. (Wow! Pineapple sherbet must have been exotic in 1922.) Mrs. N. Q. Welch entertained the members of the Current Event Club in honor of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Lura Welch of Monmouth. A three-course breakfast was served. The ladies tied two comforts before bidding their "goodbyes." Arrangements have been made by the three Sabbath schools of the town to hold a bake sale at Hazen garage and an ice cream social on the lawn of the Presbyterian Church. Ralph Stewart expects to more this family to Monmouth into the Captain Hodge property which he recently purchased. Miss Beatrice will enter college in the fall. The tennis court and croquet ground on the grounds of the Presbyterian Church is now finished and ready for use by anyone.

RARITAN REPORTS: A. B. Dauma, wife and daughter Quanita, who have spent several weeks in Missouri, stopped in town enroute to their home in Farmington. Elgie Ray who is a victim of typhoid fever is improving nicely. F. L. Dice received a telegram from Quincy notifying her of the death of her father. A number of young people are rehearsing for a play to be given in the near future. Harlan Day received an ugly gash on her forehead while trimming some branches. His axe caught on a wire above his head and rebounded. Edward Houston returned to his home in Indiana. Ruby Livermore was taken to the hospital to be operated on for appendicitis. Mrs. Glen Meredith is very sick at her home in the east country. The oil for oiling the streets arrived and the work began on Thursday.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: The stork called at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Everett Lewis leaving a fine baby boy. Mr. and Mrs. Earl Kessinger are the proud parents of a nice baby boy born on the 12th. The Epworth League held a social in Liberty Park Friday evening. A splendid program was given consisting of some musical numbers rendered by Dr. Stephens and Mrs. Berber. Electric lights were used in the park for the occasion. Albert Mears is now clerking in the J. L. Ellison store.

HE MUST PAY UP: Wm. Nelson of Henderson County, a young married student at the teachers' college, who was arrested a week or so ago on a charge of neglect of wife and child, says the Macomb Bystander, was ordered to pay $8.00 weekly ($108.32 in today's values) toward their support pending his trial which will come up in December term of county court. Nelson was released on bonds furnished by his father following his arrest. Yesterday's case was brought in the form of an appeal for temporary relief pending the outcome of the trail in December.-Monmouth Review