The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, May 18, 2014

HELD FROM ATTEMPTED BIGGSVILLE BANK ROBBERY: Sheriff McDill gave to the Graphic details of the attempted bank robbery at Biggsville. The men now held in custody at the county jail were with their families camped out near Biggsville and posed as scavengers and did a little of that work in Biggsville.

The morning after the attempted robbery the outfit broke camp and headed for Gladstone. McDill and a Burn's operative, who was called on the case, suspicioned the outfit and kept close tab on their whereabouts. McDill wanted to take the party in custody at once, but the Burn's operative thought it best to wait until they had gathered more information. Sunday they camped on the bottom road and Monday they moved to Burlington.

McDill swore out a warrant, went to Burlington and took the two men into custody. The women and children with seven head of horses followed later and are now camped near the county jail. The men claimed to be brothers, giving their names as Alva and William Piercefield. Descriptions and photographs were then sent out to numerous penal institutions throughout the country to see if they had any record of the men.

A letter was soon received from Indiana State Penitentiary containing a photograph, finger prints, etc. which was the exact likeness of the one claiming to be William Piercefield. The letter stated that he entered that institution as John Piercefield and in case he was not convicted of this charge, to hold him as he was wanted back there for breaking parole. He had also served a term in Chester Penitentiary as Curtis Piercefield. So far nothing has been received on Alva Piercefield, but he may be held as an accomplice.

HE KILLED HIM: One robber suspect is dead and Frank Vlandingham, his companion of Oquawka, Ill. is in jail as the result of a duel at an early hour Thursday morning in a coal car on the M. & St.L. train between Keithsburg Marshal John Alberston and an unknown tramp.

Marshal Albertson had received word from the authorities of Monmouth to be on the lookout for the man who had blown the safe in the McCullough Lumber office in that city and advised him to search the train that would soon pull into Keithsburg. Deputizing a man by the name of Campbell, they started for the yards. The train pulled in, the men were spied in a coal car. Albertson climbed up in the car, drew his gun and ordered them to throw up their hands. Instead of obeying, they both pulled their guns and started firing. Albertson returned the fire and one man fell mortally wounded. Vlandingham then jumped from the car and attempted to escape but was captured by Campbell. The wounded man died without revealing his identity although conscious for an hour or more before dying. He was about 45 years old. Frank Vlandingham was about 25 and identified as a resident of Oquawka, but who had been making his home in Monmouth and was former employee of the McCullough Lumber Co. He probably fell in with the yegg who offered his experience and the former the layout. They were also suspected of cracking two more safes in Monmouth, the total loot amounting to less then seven dollars.

MOVED HIS OFFICE: O.R. Gent has moved his office from the Newt Vaughan house and will occupy part of the A.S. McElhinney building next to the Johnson & Co. Garage.

ASSEMBLING OIL DRILL: The big oil drill was hauled out to the Van Brokaw farm and work of putting it up has started. With favorable conditions it will be ready for operation in a short time.

(Long article about the Terre Haute Track Meet and Literary Contest in this edition)

PEEPING TOM: Stronghurst has a "Peeping Tom" that is making his appearance in different sections of the town at various intervals of late. The identity of the individual is pretty well established, and in some of his future visits are liable to meet with a reception that will in a way convey to his perverted mind that "peeps" are very dear and not worth the sacrifice.

TERRE HAUTE WINS MEET: The Henderson County High School League, comprising Terre Haute, Stronghurst, Media, Biggsville and Oquawka, held their second annual field and track meet at Sanderson's field last Friday afternoon. Terre Haute won the meet with 39 points, Stronghurst, second with 37, Media 3rd with 23, Biggsville 4th with 18 and Oquawka failing to make a point. (Long article about various events and picture of the Stronghurst team which consisted on Putney, Parish, McKeown, Wilcox, Curtiss, Regan, Smith, Kemp, Dixson and Sanderson.)

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Bob Chase and wife of Burlington, Iowa, spent Sunday at the home of Mrs. Chase's parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. L. Spiker. The Willing Workers of the U.P. Church have purchased four dozen new chairs for use in the lecture room of the church. Dr. R. I. Findley left for Mansfield, Ohio, on account of the serious illness of his father. Cluster lights are to be placed every 84 feet on the wagon bridge at Burlington and one on each corner of the approaches. A concrete wall is to be built at the east end to add strength.

Died at Abingdon, Ill. on May 16th Mrs. Catherine Johnson, former resident of Stronghurst, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. R. M. Steele; her body will be brought here for burial. Rev. Van Sullins, who has been suffering from an attack of appendicitis, is improving slowly and was able to walk down town yesterday. The ladies of the U. P. Church will serve a chicken dinner on Friday; everybody is invited. Miss Louise Hollingsworth has resigned her position at the local telephone exchange. Her place is being temporarily filled by Mrs. Mary Kern. Paul Sullins, a junior at Stronghurst High School, has an article published in the May issue of Boys Magazine. Chas. Kaiser, who has been taking a much needed rest in the Galesburg hospital, returned home and is feeling fine; his rest has restored him to his former vigor.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Prof. Hildebran has been retained for another year by the school. The following 8th grade pupils passed the finals: Grace Heap, George Vaughn, William Pogue and Roy Baskett; they expect to enter high school in the fall. (At this time some believed that an 8th grade education was all that was needed so it was not a given that such students would continue to High School.) E.G. Lewis, who is in charge of the Non-Sunday baseball league for this community, called a meeting Saturday night. Ward Flock was chosen captain and several necessary committees were appointed. Mrs. Margaret Gosham, the nurse who has been caring for Mrs. B.A. Hoffman and babe, returned to her home at Ellison. Miss Eloise Smith is assisting Mrs. Hoffman with her household duties. Prof. and Mrs. Hildebran will leave to spend the summer on their farm in Indiana; they spent a week with Mrs. Hildebran's parents at Decorra. Avery Worley of Lomax brought a nice load of cat fish to town. David Gilliland is remodeling this residence and is adding two new rooms and large porches.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: John Stanbary, formerly of this place but now of Oakville, Iowa, and Miss Ruby Russell of Smithshire were married at the home of her parents, Rev. and Mrs. Russell on Saturday. Her father was the pastor of the M. E. Church some years ago. The groom is the son of Mrs. John Stansbary. Ted Stewart spent the week with his brother John Harold, who is in the Military Academy at Alton, Ill. The Misses Louise Wittman and Jennie Pearson have been engaged to teach in the Galesburg schools another year.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Mr. Hollingsworth of Chicago has opened up a two table pool room in the Sam Duncan building near the blacksmith shop. The street committee has been doing much needed work on the streets. Several from here attended the Sacred Concert given in Olena by the Oak Street Baptist Church. Thirty-four pupils and eight teachers were in attendance at the final examinations held in the high school building Saturday. George Christy and sons Cecil and Raymond were in Peoria where they were initiated into the Shrine.

CARMAN CONCERNS: The water is mostly off the over flooded land near Carthage Lake and the drainage grounds. Farmers are very busy putting in their corn. Rye is in bloom, well headed and wheat looks fine. Oats are a little late but the weather is fine on crops. Fred Holstein is having some improvements put on his farm. Thomas Clark has built a large chicken house on his lots in the north part of the village; Mr. Johnson Burlington is doing the work. Mrs. Virgie Mead and sons, Kenneth and Junior, enjoyed the Burrell School picnic given by Mrs. Mona Marsden. Mr. and Mrs. Fred Leiser arrived home in Wisconsin going by auto without any accidents. Messrs Lewis Dannenberg and Paul Pendry attended the dedication of the Masonic Temple in Burlington.

LOMAX LINGERINGS: A home talent play was given a second time at the opera house Friday night. Born to Lloyd Sparrow and wife, a son on May 8th. Mrs. Tom Herndon of Oklahoma visited at the F. A. Strickler home. S. E. Vaughan and wife who have spent the winter in Arkansas arrived home. Charles Baldwin of Dallas City is remodeling the T. A. Howard home. A joint picture show was given at the opera house Saturday night by the 8th grad and Mr. Sikes.

RARITAN REPORTS: The Sunny Ridge School closed for the summer. Elizabeth Jane is the name of the little miss born to Mr. and Mrs. Frederick R. Fowler; the mother is the former Miss Gladys Kelly. Eldon Gearhart, while playing in the Willard garage one day last week, had the misfortune to run into a truck, cutting an ugly gash in his forehead just above the eye. Two stitches had to be taken to close the wound. George Cavins is on the sick list. A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Carlson; the mother is the former Mary Brokaw from Stronghurst. Interesting slides were shown in the Baptist Church Sunday evening. They pertained to those of the Heathen Lands. The ladies of the community club gave a play entitled, "How the Story Grew" on Saturday afternoon at the club meeting.