The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central To Take Bids For Lots
The West Central CUSD #235 board approved a resolution regarding the sale of four lots in Stronghurst immediately west of the baseball diamond at their regular meeting held on September 17th. The resolution spells out the terms and conditions of the sale. The lots will first be sold by sealed bid and then the top 4 bidders will be invited to participate in an auction of the lots.
The lots may be sold separately or as a group. The minimum bid for the 4 lots as a group will be $7,000. The minimum bid for any one lot being sold individually is $1,750. The sealed bids will be due in the Superintendent's office at 1:45 p.m. on Wednesday, October 15, 2015. Bids will be opened on that day at 2 p.m. and the auction for the sale of the property will be conducted at that time as well.
The board meeting was called to order at 5:30 p.m. in the WCES cafeteria by Board Vice President Jodi Arnold with all board members except Mrs. John, Mrs. White and Dr. Brent were present.
Vice President Arnold led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.
The board conducted a public hearing on the FY 15 district budget. There were no comments offered by any member of the public on the FY 15 district budget.
The board was introduced to all new certified staff by members of the administrative team. They then recessed their meeting at approximately 5:35 p.m. and visited with the new certified staff.
The meeting reconvened at 6 p.m. in the elementary gym. During this portion of the meeting, the board first recognized the staff of the WC Early Childhood Program for earning a Gold Level Circle of Quality award from ExceleRate, Illinois, the state's new quality rating and improvement system for early learning and development programs that serve children from birth to age 3. Staff members of the program past and present were recognized.
They then recognized approximately 210 WC students for exceeding standards on the state's and districts standardized tests from Spring 2014. Mrs. Jodi Scott, HMW Regional Superintendent of Schools was present to read the roll of students being recognized.
Following this ceremony, the board recessed their meeting at approximately 6:45 and reconvened at approximately 6:50 in the elementary cafeteria. All board members except Dr. Brent were present when the meeting reconvened.
Additional items mentioned under Good News Items included:
- It was noted that this was Homecoming Week at WCHS
- The 4th, 5th and 6th grade WC JFL team defeated Rushville 26-0 in their first game
- The board approved the agenda as presented.
- No one was present to address the board on any agenda items.
- The board approved the Consent Agenda as presented. Items approved as part of the Consent Agenda include:
- The Regular Meeting and Closed Session minutes of August 20, 2014
- The 2014-2015 Application for Recognition of Schools
- Designating the Superintendent as Safety Committee Designee
- Continuing the elementary after school assistance program and the employment of teachers for this program
- The approval of a revised intergovernmental agreement with the Delebar CTE System
- The acceptance of a donation from Midwest Bank of Illinois as part of their Chalk Up Money for Schools program
- The board approved the payment of all bills as presented, the building activity reports and the August, 2014, treasurer's report.
In other business the board:
- Discussed a potential outdoor lighting rebate program. As a result of the discussion the motion regarding this agenda item ended in a tie.
- Reviewed information pertaining to the District FY 15 budget. They were informed that the budget is a deficit budget as it was when first presented in July. Following a brief discussion the board approved the district budget for FY 15. Estimated revenue for FY 15 is approximately $8,643,454. Estimated expenditures are approximately $11,456,782. The large amount for expenditures includes approximately $1.9 million dollars for health life safety expenditures for which the money to pay for this work was received in FY 14. The estimated total district fund balances on June 30, 2014, is estimated to be approximately $6,489,362.
- Briefly discussed the packet of proposed revisions to several board policies. After discussion, the board approved revisions to the following board policies on first reading: Policy 2:20 - Board of Education - Powers and Duties of the Board of Education; Indemnification, Policy 4:60 - Operational Services - Purchases and Contracts, Policy 4:90 - Operational Services - Activities Fund, Policy 5:30 - General Personnel - Hiring Process and Criteria, Policy 5:260 - Professional Personnel - Student Teachers, Policy 5:330 - Educational Support Personnel - Sick Days, Vacation, Holidays and Leaves, Policy 7:20 - Students - Harassment of Students Prohibited, Policy 7:180 - Students - Prevention of and Response to Bullying, Intimidation, and Harassment, Policy 7:240 - Students - Conduct Code for Participants in Extracurricular Activities
- Approved a quote for a three year copier lease for 8 copy machines. The new lease will begin on November 1, 2014. The copiers will be leased from Digital Copy Services, the current vender being used by the district.
- Approved an agreement to provide clinical supervision services for the district Speech Therapist.
- Gave permission to hold the 2015 Jr-Sr Prom at The Loft in Burlington, IA. The 2015 Jr-Sr Prom will be held on Saturday, May 2, 2015.
- Reviewed reports from the building principals; a curriculum report from Mr. Grimm; a technology report from Mrs. Frakes; a special education report from Mrs. Smith and a report from District Athletic Director Randy Frakes on the Fall MS and HS sports.
- Reviewed the 2013-2014 Administrator and Teacher Salary and Benefit Report for 2013-2014. The report will be posted to the district web site.
- Reviewed the Sixth Day Enrollment Report. The sixth day enrollment for the district Pre-k through 12th grade is 872 students.
- Mr. Grimm reviewed with the board the changes in the state standardized testing system. It was noted that the ACT test will be provided for our students by the Illinois State Board of Education for the spring of 2015, but there was no such guarantee for funding for this test going forward. The board also discussed the new testing timelines as well as how these new timelines may impact the school district calendar going forward.
- As a result of changes to Illinois Laws regarding bullying and cyberbullying, the board briefly reviewed Board Policy 7:20 - Harassment of Students Prohibited and Board Policy 7:1809 - Prevention of and Response to Bullying, Intimidation, and Harassment. The board discussed the idea of forming a district wide bullying committee to address the proposed policy changes and how the district can better address bullying issues. The board asked Mr. Grimm to report back on the makeup of such committee at the October Board Meeting.
- Reviewed a list of maintenance items that must be completed at WCMS. The board was informed that district staff is spread extremely thin at this point in time and there is a need for additional help in not just the maintenance department but in other areas as well. As for the list of items that must be completed at WCMS, the board gave Mr. Grimm direction on how to proceed with this issue.
- Agreed that another Board Planning Retreat should be scheduled and asked Mr. Grimm to work on finding an acceptable date for this meeting.
- Was informed that Mr. Grimm has received a Detachment/Annexation Petition from some folks who have property adjacent to the United School District. Further the board was informed that the petition was being presented due to the convenience of the parents and not as an indication of the quality of the programs in either district.
The board entered closed session to discuss matters pertaining to personnel and the sale of district owned property at approximately 8:35 p.m. They exited closed session at approximately 9:35 and took the following action:
- Accepted the resignation of Amanda Jack as WCES Secretary effective September 26, 2014.
- Employed Richard Clifton as a District associate
- Employed Sara Hull as a Part-Time WCES Title I Associate
- Employed Lynn Ragar and Jamie Hennings as long term substitutes
- Accepted the resignation of Wade O'Neal as WCHS play director
- Accepted the resignation of Luci Lox as WCMS Assistant Speech Coach
- Approved Mike Shockency as a volunteer coach for the WCMS football team
- Employed Lisa Johnson and Shelley Morrison as WCMS Sixth Grade Girls Basketball Coach
- Employed Christina Helding as WCHS Assistant Track Coach
- Took no action on administrator contracts
The board was reminded that their next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, October 15, 2014 and will be held in the elementary cafeteria and will begin at 6 p.m.
There being no other business to come before the board, they adjourned their meeting at 9:45 p.m.