The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central School Board Approves Bid For Water
At the rescheduled regular meeting of the West Central School board held on Wednesday, June 25, 2014, the board approved a bid from Guenther Underground Services of Galesburg in the amount of $266,272 for the construction of the water line from just south of Biggsville to the north campus. The water line will provide potable water to the north campus from the Dallas Rural Water District.
The board rejected all alternate bids for the installation of a second fire hydrant due to the costs of the alternate project. Four competitive bids were received for this project.
Board President Brent called the meeting to order at 6 p.m. in the Elementary Cafeteria with all members present.
President Brent then led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.
The board conducted a public hearing for the Amended FY 14 District budget.
Under good news items the following successes were highlighted:
- Several of the 4-6th grade students participated in a baseball tournament over the weekend and did very well.
- The recently held 34 Coalition Rally was highlighted. Given specific mention were the 6 third grade students who read their list of 20 Reasons "Why the Highway Should be Completed by 2020".
The agenda was approved as presented with the following changes:
- The addition of item XVI. D-4.5 Employment of Matt Link as WCMS Assistant Football Coach
The board approved the consent agenda as presented. Items approved under the consent agenda
- Minutes of the May 21, 2014, regular board meeting and closed session of May 21, 2014
- The Prevailing Wage Resolution and List of Wages
- Seek Bids for Milk and Bread for the 2013-14 school year
- School Photographer for 2014-2015
- Use of the Bank of Stronghurst for the high school and elementary activity accounts and the Bank of Stronghurst for the middle school activity account
- Repayment of the $250,000 loan from the Working Cash fund to the Transportation Fund
- Contract with Larry Lawson of Oneida for professional services related to the wastewater facilities owned by the district
- Proposed revisions to the following board policies on first reading:
- Policy 4:100 - Operational Services - Insurance Management
- Policy 4:160 - Operational Services - Environmental Quality of Building and Grounds
- Policy 4:170 - Operational Services - Safety
- Policy 4:175 - Operational Services - Convicted Child Sex Offender; Criminal Background Check and/or Screens; Notifications
- Policy 5:280 - Educational Support Personnel - Duties and Qualifications
- Policy 6:150 - Instruction - Home and Hospital Instruction
- Policy 7:250 - Students - Student Support Services
- List of board meeting times, dates and place for July 2014 - June 2015
Under financial activity, the board approved the payment of all bills. The board also approved the April 2014 WCMS activity account, the May 2014 activity accounts reports and the May 2014 treasurer's report as presented.
The board heard a report from Superintendent Grimm on the May district financial report.
Superintendent Grimm indicated that the revenue and expense percentages should be at 91.67% of budget at this time of the year.
It was reported that the district revenue actually received at the end of May was 99.17% of budget. It was noted that actual expenditures were at 70.02% of budget at the end of May.
It was also noted that as of June 26, 2014, the state owes District 235, $172,673.
In other business the board:
- approved an agreement with Oak Lane Nursing Home regarding the continuation of the Certified Nursing Assistant program for the 2014-2015 school year.
- approved a switch to an Integrated Math Pathways curriculum for the district math program for grades 6-12 beginning with the 2014-2015 school year.
- This new curriculum will be phased in over the next three school years. The new curriculum does not change the content of the math courses; rather it changes the sequence and pace of the introduction of the material.
- approved the amended FY 14 District Budget as presented.
- approved a request of a WCHS Senior to attend school half days during the 2014-2015 school year in order for that student to participate in an internship during the 2014-2015 school year.
- reviewed briefly the principal reports that were submitted by Mrs. Lafary, Mr. Nichols and Mr. Schneider. The board also heard a brief report from Superintendent Grimm regarding the district curriculum.
- agreed to sponsor the back to school luncheon for staff as they have done in the past. It was noted that this luncheon will be served on Friday, August 15, 2014.
- continued discussing several remaining items from the proposed DY 15 Budget Reduction/Cut list that was generated in February. As a result of that discussion, the board agreed by consensus to the following:
- No Pay to Play program will be instituted in the district in FY 15. This is due to the fact that the district budget will be better than anticipated earlier in the year and that it appears that General State Aid will not be prorated at an amount lower than it was for FY 14.
- agreed to review the continued use of the Media facility at the August Board meeting.
- agreed to continue the district nurse position with the current employee in that position.
- authorized the superintendent to discuss with WCATS the possibility of seeking ticket takers for home sporting events in a different manner.
- directed the superintendent to place on the July 16, 2014, board meeting agenda the idea of charging admittance for home sixth grade sporting events.
- the board by consensus gave the superintendent permission to utilize the district math, English and Special Ed consultant additional days for the 2014-2015 school year and gave the superintendent permission to look for a Science consultant as well.
- heard an update on the status of several of the maintenance and health/life safety projects currently underway in the district.
Under Future Agenda Items the board requested that a discussion pertaining to the possible sale of district property and the replacement of certain windows at the district rental house be placed on the agenda for the July 16, 2014, board meeting.
The board entered closed session at 7:20 p.m. to discuss matters pertaining to personnel. The board exited closed session at 8:25 p.m. and took the following action:
- Accepted the resignation of Terri Copeland as WCMS Language Arts Teacher
- Accepted the resignation of Jamie Farniok as District Special Ed Coordinator/Psychologist
- Accepted the resignation of Mindy Armentrout as part-time Title I associate
- Approved the transfer of Chris Conlee from WCMS Assistant Principal to WCES Assistant Principal
- Approved the transfer of Amy Wolf from WCES Third Grade to WCES Fourth Grade
- Employed Tiffany Adams as WCHS English Teacher
- Employed Sara Fitzgerald as WCMS Math Teacher
- Employed Allison Janacek as WCMS English Teacher
- Employed Wade Alexander as part-time District Technology Worker
- Employed Peggy Pullen as part-time Title I Associate
- Employed Michelle Tutor as Class of 2017 Sponsor
- Employed Steve Arnold as WCHS Assistant Football Coach
- Employed Jane Alexander as WCHS NHS Sponsor
- Employed Megan Smith as WCHS Class of 2016 Sponsor
- Employed Matt Link as WCMS Assistant Football Coach
- Approved the Extra Curricular Duty List for 2014-2015
- Approved Exempt Staff salaries for 2014-2015
The next scheduled meeting of the West Central CUSD#235 Board of Education will be on Wednesday, July 16, 2014, beginning at 6 pm in the elementary library.
There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned their meeting at 8:32 p.m.