The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

MEDIA Township History

Years ago when Margie Barber and I were discussing early history of this township, she gave me this history of the area-commemoration of the town of Media's 125th birthday, these articles written by Faree Mathers are being shared.- -Virginia Ross

Part VI


During World War I several soldiers were stationed at the Big Bridge to keep it from being blown up.

Many Media boys enlisted and went overseas. Bruce Rankin, son of Jacob and Elizabeth Rankin and grandson of Alexander Rankin and I. Tom Pogue were some who fought overseas and never came back. Pogue was killed in France.

A memorial stone was placed on the high school lawn in his honor in 1922.

When World War II was fought, 34 young men and one young lady from Media enlisted or were drafted.

They were in the army, navy and air force and were as follows: Earl and Robert Beall (cousins), Joseph and Stuart Browning, Roy and William Eberhard, Ben and Jim Heap, Beryl and Henry Lamb, Eugene and Emmett Sullivan, Earl and Max Pogue, John and Edward Voorhees, James Vickers, Joseph Campbell, Donald Cavins, Howard R. Erickson, Alpheus High, Russell Johnson, F. Will (Bill), Glen Harvey and Charles Link, Eugene Mc Elroy Pogue, George Lawyer, and James Palmer.

In both wars, Edson Dale Moor served in the army and Frank Harold Graham served in the navy. Harold Graham's daughter was a Wave in the navy. She was stationed at the navy annex in Washington, D.C.

Many of the boys were sent overseas to fight. They had some exciting experiences. Max Pogue, son of Arthur and Ethel Pogue, enlisted in the air force.

He was assigned to the job of tail gunner on an airplane. He was shot down and captured by the enemy.

He was held a prisoner in Italy. Being fortunate, he was given a little food by some friendly Italians while others were turned over to the Germans for a small sum of money.

He and thirteen other prisoners escaped one night and hid in the hills. In the darkness, they came to a bridge patrolled by guards.

They waited their chance and everyone got across without being seen. Max was the last to cross.

He sneaked over behind the guard. His feet were bare and sore from thorns, but he made no noise. It was a terrible risk he took, but he made it across.

Then he made his way to Rome and later was sent back to Washington and then home.