The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Stronghurst Graphic, Dec. 15, 1921
FIRE IN THE NUVON HOTEL:: A serious disaster threatened the village last Sunday morning when a fire broke out in the basement of the NuVon Hotel and cafe, situated in the middle of the main business block on the west side of Broadway. At about 4 o'clock in the morning the ringing of telephones and the sounding of the fire alarm in the village hall aroused the greater part of the citizens of the village from their slumbers and caused them to hastily one their clothes and tear out into the streets. It was soon learned that the fire was in the business buildings and those first to arrive on the scene found dense volumes of smoke pouring from the windows and doors of the NuVon Hotel. By the time the volunteer firemen had arrived and connected up leads of hose with the hydrant at the Harter and Grandey corners, the smoke on the lower floors of the hotel and cafe was so dense as to make it impossible to enter the building. It was soon evident that the smoke came from the basement of the building, the only entrance to which is from the landing in the rear. There is, however, an outer door leading to this landing from the alley in the rear and the firemen poked the nozzle of their hose through this door and part way down the steps leading into the basement. The deluge of water which was poured into the basement soon caused a decrease in the volume of smoke and it was evident that the fire had been reached and extinguished. When the building had cleared of smoke sufficiently to allow the firemen to enter, a shouldering pile of cobs under the stairway indicated the place where the fire had started. The wooden steps of the stairway had been partially consumed and a further indication that the fire was pretty hot when the firemen arrives. Insulation of some of the electric wires attached to the walls of the stairway had been burned off. It was also apparent that if a little more time had elapsed before the arrival of the firemen, the whole lower floor of the hotel would have been a mass of flames and the entire block of buildings in imminent danger.
It so happened that there was but three people in the hotel on the night of the fire. They were Robert Vaughan, son the proprietor, Chas. Wheeling, who is an assistant in the cafe and Pete Johnson, a guest. They all occupied bedrooms on the second floor and Johnson was the first one to be awakened by the smoke. He quickly aroused the other two men, who narrowly escaped suffocation in their beds and all were partially over come by the smoke before they gained the outer air.
While the actual loss by fire was small, the damage by smoke and water was considerable and the hotel has been closed since Monday, awaiting the arrival of the adjuster for the insurance company.
CAFE CHANGES HANDS: A deal was closed by which Allie Bruce sold his cafe stock and outfit to O.L. Kransted of Altona, Ill. The latter is an experienced restaurant man, having been engaged in the business in Altona for the past eight years. He has assumed charge of the business at once. Mr. Bruce's plans are indefinite.
TO ORGANIZE COMMERCIAL CLUB: The getting together of the business men of Stronghurst on the "Dollar Day" proposition, bids fair to result in the formation of an association which will promote enterprises of a similar nature in the future and the general welfare of the village and community in respect to commercial, social and civic affairs.
At a meeting it was decided that the group of business men who had met to discuss the Dollar Day plan be made the nucleus of a permanent organization. A committee was appointed to solicit memberships. E. E. Grandy, chairman of the Dollar Day committee, G.C. Rehling, Secretary and W.C. Regan, treasure, were made temporary officers of the new organization.
NEWS OF FORMER GIRL: From the Seattle, Washington Times: "Miss Grace E. Lant, who leaves for her home at Boise, Idaho, where her marriage to Judge Alfred Thomas McCoy of Trenton, Nebr. will take place early in January, has been honor guest at a number of affairs..."
The lady referred to in the article is the daughter of Mr. Ralph Lant, who lived on the Lant farm north of Stronghurst until he moved with his family to Nebraska in 1901. His daughter Grace graduated from the Stronghurst High School with the class of 1900. In 1910 she went to Seattle, Wash. to visit her childhood friend, Mrs. Ruby C. Bell and while there secured a position as teacher in the city schools.
The romance which is to culminate in her marriage to Judge McCoy, began several years ago in Nebraska and ripened into a mutual understanding in the early months of the present year when the Judge visited the Northwest.
CHURCH WAS PACKED: Dist. Supt M.L. O'Harra occupied the pulpit at the M. E. Church last Sunday morning and the crowd which gathered to hear the popular former pastor of the church was so great that many were turned away on account of the limited seating capacity of the edifice. Those who were present had the privilege of listening to a splendid sermon. At the close of the service the ordinance of baptism was administered to six infants.
1896 GRAPHIC: S. W. Carothers, proprietor of the Stronghurst electric light plant sold it to E.H. Allison. C.M. Davis of Nichol, Ia. purchased the W. A. Baldwin stock of groceries and the I.N. Jones stock of dry goods and notions. The Stronghurst Driving Park was saved when a number of public spirited citizens raised a fund of $400 with which to satisfy the claim of the administrator of the Dixson estate who had advertised a sale of the buildings on the grounds. Mrs. Nate Groome died very suddenly at her home south of the village on Dec. 16th. H. D. Lovitt and family moved to town from their farm near Terre Haute. Walter Simonson had sold his meat market to Joel Smith.
LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Peter Schuettier wagons reduced in price at Dixson's. The women of the Christian Church will hold a food, candy and popcorn sale in the window of the Co-operative store on Dec. 24th. Charlie Stine, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Stine who has been confined to his home by rheumatism for several weeks is able to be about again. Roy Van Doren and family moved to the house vacated by Mr. and Mrs. Grey; Roy will assist in farm work. Born to Mr. and Mrs. C.C.Painter at the Burlington Hospital on Dec.4th , an eight pound daughter named Carol Bernice. James Strickland and family are again residents of Stronghurst, having moved over from Burlington into the house on the north side recently vacated by John Tracy. Mr. Strickland will have charge of the Schell Oil Co. Station here. (At this time such news was indeed news as that is how everyone kept tract of their neighbors.)
Mrs. Anna Dickersen is chairman of the Christmas Seals sales in Stronghurst Township. John Simonson and Charles Lind spent several days in Missouri the first of the week buying feeding cattle. Dr. J.A.Bailey's residence in Biggsville was sold for $2,800; Mrs. Francis C. Bailey was the purchaser. Mr. and Mrs. R.N. Marshall and family are living at the J.C.Brook home since their home was destroyed by fire a week ago. Harold Sweasy of Point Pleasant (Warren County) is holding a closing out sale of farming effects; he and his daughter will reside with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Sweasy of Monmouth.
Raritan once again has a resident physician, Dr. L.T. Hoyt, who has been practicing at Beardstown, Ill. for some time. He has opened an office in the rooms formerly occupied by Dr. Cleveland. Dr. and Mrs. Hoyt will reside in the Reformed church parsonage. George C. Green, well known mechanic, electrician and garage man of Oquawka, died at the Burlington Hospital from diphtheria. Mr. and Mrs. Jay H. Foote left for Burlington where they will make their home temporarily while Mrs. Foote is receiving treatment from a chiropractor. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Dixson's little daughter, Eleanor, has been quite seriously ill from diseased tonsils for some time and radium treatment for their removal is being employed. Miss Lucile Butler correctly spelled the 100 words in the preliminary contest for Stronghurst Township and will represent the township at the county contest at Biggsville. In Raritan Township Carroll Caldwell won first place and Elsie Ahlers of the Cox School won second. In Media Township Reva Vaughn won first.
Baker and Baker, a firm of bakers who baked at Oquawka, disappeared from their bakery a day last week leaving various creditors in the lurch. A Ford truck purchased from an Aledo firm and on which but one payment had been made disappeared with the baking Bakers. Sam Curry and family drove over to Winfield, Ia to visit with N.E.Curry and family. A basketball club has been organized by some of the young ladies of the community. Miss Alice Wax has been selected as director. The second story of the Co-operative store building has been fitted up for a court and the members of the club are looking forward to some good games and contest with clubs from other places. (Times were different; I suppose it would have been scandalous to use the school gym.)
***OBITUARY***J.C.TOLMAN: J.C.Tolman died after a short illness of pneumonia at his home in Kewanee, Ill. Mr. Tolman for nearly half a century was the druggist in Gladstone and ran a general store and was postmaster for a long time. He had friends all over the country who esteemed him as a fair minded and honorable gentleman.
He was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Tolman of Oquawka. The deceased was born near Randolph, Mass. Sept. 7, 1846. On the maternal side he was a descendent of Thomas Tolman who settled in Mass. in 1630 ten years after the landing of the Mayflower. The family came to Oquawka in fall of 1871. To this union one daughter was born living only two years. He became a resident of Kewanee some years ago. He was a director of the Biggsville Bank at the time of his death and was the one time president of the bank in Gladstone. He was also a member of the Oquawka Mason lodge.
He was buried in Oquawka Cemetery with the Masons in charge of the service. GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: County Supt. Of schools, A.L.Beals, appointed Prof. Blackstone of Gladstone School and Miss Anna Burrus of the Lant School a committee to conduct the annual township spelling contest in the high school assembly room. Mr. and Mrs. Will Pence received a dispatch telling of the accidental death of their nephew, Mr. Albert Wall of Wilmer, Minn. Several laborers have begun work on the new hard road near the Fred Galbraith home south of town.
BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Oscar Fritts from Oregon visited his sisters, Mesdames Ida Stevenson, Willie Dixon and Effie Stewart. Mr. and Mrs. Dave McDill observed their 50th anniversary. The Booster Club has been busy soliciting funds to finance a free Chautauqua for next summer. The Ladies Cemetery Association will present the play, "The Byrds Christmas Carol" during the week between Christmas and New Years. The husbands of the Country Club entertained the ladies at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Will Whiteman. A banquet and a womanless wedding were pulled off by the gentlemen.
FASHION NOTE: Velvet slippers promise to be prominent throughout the winter. The darker shades are relieved by bright colored inlays and stitching. And velvet slippers in vivid hues will make their appearance in the evening. Sometimes gold or silver cloth or patent leather is combined with bright colored velvet.