The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1922 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, Jan. 12, 1922

CRUSHED BY A TREE: Otho Garrett, more familiarly known as "Tobe" Garrett, one of the township's best known farmers, died at the home of his niece, Mrs. James Heaps, one half mile east of Media Saturday afternoon Jan. 11th at about 2 o'clock following an accident which occurred in the timber near the Heaps home about 2 hours earlier.

Mr. Garrett and his son, Guy, had gone to the timber in the morning to cut some wood. They had felled a large tree and a large branch from this tree had broken off and lodged in another tree nearby. While they were cutting down this second tree, the large branch became loosened and fell, striking Mr. Garrett on the head and shoulder. The blow broke his shoulder blade and his hip was also broken when he was crushed to the ground. As soon as help could be summoned, he was carried to the Heaps home where he soon lapsed into unconsciousness from which he never rallied. Previous to this he had complained of severe pains in his head and it is though that death resulted from the injuries of the head.

Mr. Garrett was in his 70th year having been born near Plymouth, Ill. on March 1, 1852. He had for many years owned and operated a fine farm four miles southeast of Media. He is survived by his wife, who was Miss Flo Thompson and to who he was married on Nov. 6th, 1879. Other surviving members of the family are one son Guy, who is married and lived with his parents; one daughter, Mrs. Grace Stanley whose home is in New Mexico; one brother, Thomas Garrett and one sister, Mrs. Amanda Gilmore, both of Kirkwood, Ill. There are also eight surviving grandchildren.

Funeral service was held at the home with entombment in the mausoleum in Roseville, Ill.

ARRESTED: Roger Bosko, a young man who worked as a farm had in this vicinity during the past year and who sometimes went by the name of Baker, was arrested at Carman on evidence which tended to show that he had been implicated in the crime of breaking and entering the Carman Post office last Sunday night. The tool shed of the C.B.& Q. R.R. at that point had been entered the same night by some one having a switch key in their possession and it is presumed that the post office building was broken into by the use of tools obtained from the tool house. A switch key was found on Bosko's person when So far as has been ascertained, there was nothing stolen from the post office, but we have been informed that a quantity of cigarettes were stolen from the Babcook store in which the post office is located.

***OBITUARY furnished by family to correct earlier one***CHARLES CORYDON BUTLER: Charles Butler was the fourth child of James Henry and Nancy Jane Matlock Butler and was born July 16, 1861 on the farm four and three-fourth miles southwest of Raritan. He died Jan. 4, 1920 at the age of 60 years, 5 months and 19 days. He received his early education in the district school known as "Old Bedford." Later, he attended Eureka College at Eureka, Ill. where he spent two years and three years were spent at Transylvania College at Lexington, Kentucky.

On account of impaired health the next two years were spent in the Western states and upon his return to the vicinity of his birth, he engaged in school work, teaching in the district schools of Henderson County for three years. In 1890 he was elected to the office of County Superintendent of Schools of Henderson County serving in that capacity for four years.

Oct. 11, 1892 he was united in marriage to Miss Ruby Stine.

During his work as an educator, Mr. Butler served as principal of the Oquawka schools one year, Seaton two years, Little York, two years, Princeville, two years, New Boston two years. For some years Mr. and Mrs. Butler had divided their time between Galesburg and Stronghurst.

In March of 1919 Mr. Butler received an appointment to the insurance department of the national government but was unable to accept on account of failing health. With a renewal of his strength a year later, he accepted a position in the quartermaster's department of the Great Lakes Naval Training Station, but his strength was not equal to the task and he was obliged to resign on May 1st of last year. He and Mrs. Butler then returned to Stronghurst where they have since resided.

Mr. Butler is survived by his wife, his brother, Tobias of Stronghurst and James of Tulsa, Okla. and many more distant relatives. During the ministry of Rev. James McGuire, Mr. Butler became a member of the Old Bedford Christian church and later transferred his membership to the Christian Church of Galesburg where he served in the capacity of an elder. His first affiliation with the Masonic fraternity was at Raritan as a member of Raritan Lodge No. 727 A.F. and A.M. On removing to Galesburg he became a member of Royal Arch Chapter and later a member of Alpha Lodge No. 155 A.F. and A.M. of Galesburg.

Funeral services were conducted at the Christian church in Stronghurst with interment in the Terre Haute, Ill. Cemetery.

Mr. Butler was the first legally elected village president of Stronghurst, being chosen for that office in May 1894 and serving for one year. The village was incorporated in the spring of 1893 and a set of village officials elected the same year. This election was, however, declared illegal by the Supreme Court and Mr. Butler's election in 1894 followed.

SHE KNOWS HER CHICKENS: The Iowa Poultry Association held a poultry show in Burlington. The annual meeting and banquet was held in the Burlington Hotel and one of the speakers was Mrs. Ivabelle Stewart of this county. The honor was well bestowed as Mrs. Stewart is well known as a specialist in fancy poultry raising and has won prizes in some of the most elaborate shows held in this section of the country.

***OBITUARY***MRS. MEL BREWER: Mrs. Brewer, a former resident of Monmouth, Ill. whose maiden name was Margaret Dryden, died at her home in New York City on Jan. 6th. Mrs. Brewer, after moving to New York, became very prominent as a social settlement worker and also in politics. She also became well known in the literary world. She was a graduate of Columbia University and taught for one year in the University of Illinois. Her remains will be brought to Monmouth for burial.

REVENUES UP: The enormous sum of $6,803,307 was collected by the Automobile Department of the Illinois State Government in the year 1921. This sum represented the total amount received from 583,441 passenger auto license fees; 79,904 auto truck license fees; 7,041 dealer's fees and 124 tractor license fees. The big increase over 1920 was the good work done by the special investigators employed under the terms of the act passed by the General Assembly last spring (An investigator had canvassed the local area in 1921.)

FASHION NOTES: Both wool and tweeds are favored for outer apparel. A striking coiffure ornament is a bunch of weeping, curving cock feathers in scarlet, mounted on dark tortoiseshell prongs. Handbags for the street are of dull colored suede with ivory, amber or tortoise shell frame work. Paisleys are appearing in georgette crepe, crepe de chine and canton crepe and are found in bands, borders and inserts. Such prints are noticed on plain dark costume blouses.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Mr. and Mrs. Frank Bowen of Stronghurst have moved into the Wm. Sloan farm east of town. Little Winston Stewart has the whooping cough. The latest word from Graham Stewart who is at the hospital with pneumonia is that he remains about the same. Sam Glenn who has been suffering from sciatic rheumatism was reported not so well. Mrs. Roy Cochran is reported to be quite ill at her home north of town with what is thought to be tonsillitis. The three little boys are also quite sick with colds. Mr. and Mrs. John Foster, Sr. have gone to Eureka where they will make an extended visit at the home of their son Harry and wife. Miss Martha Douglass who has been doing work for the Overland Auto Co. in Galesburg quit her position and will spend the remainder of the winter with her parents south of town. Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Robbins are the parents of a fine baby boy. Miss Mable Rhoades who is attending high school at Burlington spent the vacation with her brother, Charles, and wife.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: The health of the community is fairly good, but many have colds. A young daughter is reported at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Pendry of the village; mother and child are getting along nicely. Miss Golda Booten is reported to be in a very weakened condition, but is being kindly remembered by friends and relatives who show her many kindnesses. The young people's S.S. class of which she is a member provides the means by which she has a goodly supply of fresh fruit each week. Mr. and Mrs. Will Hicks Sundayed at the Green Fryrear home in Oquawka. As Miss Ardis Hicks is on the sick list, the village school remains closed. Miss Violet McClinton resumed her duties at the Hopper school after several weeks of enforced vacation caused by one of the home there being quarantined.

Mr. George Sandy, who resides on what is known as the Henry Wood farm, is expecting to hold a general sale of stock and implements some time this month and the ladies of the Olena church are expecting to serve lunch. If you enjoy a "clean bite," come. Mr. Sam Lant is spending a few weeks in Burlington, Iowa, where he is being treated for cancer of the breast and his many friends are hoping for satisfactory results. Mr. Hicks, the road man, was improving the roads yesterday with the drag. His enterprising young son sees to it that the road running "north" is in spick and span traveling condition.

LOMAX LINGERINGS: The Ewing brothers have moved their poultry buying establishment as well as their families back to Stronghurst where they will continue the business. George Hoover will soon move the grocery store across the street from R.B. Moore's building. Roger Vaughn left for Ann Arbor, Mich., where he is attending school. Word was received that Mrs. J. W. Romick is seriously ill at her home in Los Angeles, Calif.