The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, Oct. 20, 1921

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: The C.B. &Q Railroad is evidently taking no chances on getting tied up by a coal shortage this winter.  A Galesburg paper says that the road has a pile of coal in its yards at that point which would be equal to a pile ten miles long, twenty-two feet wide and ten feet high.  The Willing Workers of the U.P. Church will hold their next regular tea in the basement on Oct. 28th with Mrs. G. Q. Fort, Mrs. C. R. A. Marshall, Mrs. A. H. Kershaw, Mrs. G. W. Worley, Miss Lura Speck, Mrs. Anna Dickerson and Mrs. C. M. Bell serving.  All ladies of the community are invited.  Will Ogden and wife arrive home from their auto trip to Cass County, Minn.  They say that a storm was raging in Northern Minnesota on Oct. 10th, the day they started home. Will says that the accommodations provided for auto tourists by many of the towns there and Iowa add considerably to the comfort and convenience of that method of travel. (Evidently, the tourist industry was off to a good start.)  The candy pull at the Christian Church Friday evening proved to be a jolly affair and was instrumental in adding a nice sum to the Sunday School treasury of the church.  Having disposed of the greater part of their personal property and rented their dwelling here to other parties, Elnora Maxey and her sister Garnet left for Berwyn, Ill. where they have both secured employment in private families. 

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: A. L. Beall was recently appointed a member of the executive board of the State Teachers’ Association.  Mrs. Grace Kimble was home and spent Sunday with her folks before returning to the Beulah Corzatt home near Raritan where she has been nursing.  Mrs. Kyle suddenly took ill with acute appendicitis and Mr. C. R. Pendarvis, Miss Culbertson and Rev. Kyle took her to the Monmouth Hospital.  The Community Club met with Mrs. Henry White and during the business meeting the club voted to start a branch library getting their books from Springfield.  Mr. C. R. Pendarvis returned home from Rochester, Minn. and reports Mrs. Pendarvis recovering nicely from the operation that she recently underwent there.  John Lawyer was in Stronghurst having some dental work done.  Mr. and Mrs. Artie Long and children moved to Swan Creek where he has purchased a garage. 

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: N. J. Cartwright, an employee at the Monmouth Stone Works, was very seriously hurt by an engine blowing up.  Mr. and Mrs. Harry Whitecar’s baby has the diphtheria and the place is quarantined.  This is the only case in town and the child is not old enough to go to school.  One day recently Walter Baker was badly injured when he fell from a load of corn and one wheel of the wagon ran over his abdomen.  Geo. Christy is building a new house on the property on Main Street which he bought last spring and will run an up-to-date restaurant.  The children of Geo. F. Galbraith have diphtheria at the home; they have a nurse to care for them and the place is quarantined.  Clark Alvine and family moved to Burlington where he has employment.  Mrs. Sarah Furnald went to spend the winter in the Quincy Soldiers’ home.  Mrs. Ed Gray came from Sandwich, Ill. to visit her mother and attend her sister’s Fern Cunningham’s wedding.  Mrs. Cloyd Brainard fell from the oat bin and had the misfortune to break her ribs.  Clarence Graham fell out of the swing at the school house and broke his wrist.  The M.E. people have bought the lots of J. L. Ellison near the house and will build a $3,000 strictly modern parsonage on the site.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Mrs. Judd Huff returned home from the Burlington Hospital.  Graham Stewart was taken there to be treated for a lame limb.  Wm. Mendenhall of Richland, Ia. and Herbert Mendenhall who is teaching at Donnelson, Iowa were visitors at the Presbyterian manse with their daughter and sister, Mrs. Baker.  Rev. R. H. McHenry, who has been quite ill at the home of his son, Albert, is reported in a serious condition; the children have been called.  Misses Edith Lorimier spent the latter part of the week with her sisters, Lucile and Jean, who are attending Monmouth College. 

Mr. and Mrs. Sloan moved their household goods into the home he recently bought of Zion Hill.  Jim Kilgore had the bad luck when unloading a load of corn; he had put the end gate down and it stuck and when he stepped on it, it threw him in such a way to break the collar bone.  

Relatives, friends and neighbors numbering 200 gathered at the home of Uncle J. W. McClinton to celebrate his 87th birthday and greet Judge J.G. McClinton of Seattle, Wash., Alexander C. Spence of Memphis, Tenn. and Mrs. Bell of Tarkio, Mo. sister and cousins of Mr. McClinton.  His was the first time they have all seen each other and all are over 75 years of age.  At noon the children from Coloma School came and sang a song of greeting after which Rev. Sailor of Gladstone appeared dressed as Father Time and sang a hymn.  A bountiful dinner was served including a dessert of brick ice cream and cake.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: On the Sabbath Rev. M.L. O’Hara, the new district superintendent, occupied the pulpit.  Wednesday evening in the Olena church parlors a reception was held for Rev. D. K. Sailor and family.  Mrs. Frank Hicks’ condition remains the same.  Clas Carlson has been treating his barn and other out buildings to a coat of paint. 

Hog cholera has struck this neighborhood and farmers are either selling or having their swine vaccinated.  Clifford Pendry and family moved into the village occupying rooms in the Rickels property.  Lowell Booten and family have moved to Burlington.