The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, Nov. 24, 1921

Dec. 1, 1921 1896 GRAPHIC:The fences, stalls and building of the Stronghurst Driving Park were advertised at auction by the Jos. Dixson estate. Emery Fegley, an 18 year old Carman lad, was slain by his uncle, Geo. Wilber, at the latter's home 8 miles west of Burlington, Iowa on Nov. 27th during a fit of insanity. Telephone connection between Stronghurst and Burlington over the Henderson County Telephone System was established. The Struble and Kline meat market partnership in Stronghurst was dissolved; Mr. Kline continues in business and Struble went to Raritan to open a meat market. A 16 lb. baby boy was reported to having arrived at the Charles Johnson home on the Marston Place (Yes, the paper says 16 lb.!) Z. T Baxter and P. A. Edwards had formed a partnership in the blacksmithing business in Stronghurst. Ed Grabill was committed to the county jail by Justice Morgan in default of the payment of a $10 fine for gambling. ($10=$118.90 in today's values). Drilling of a deep well was in progress at the electric light plant and hopes were high that gas in paying quantity would be struck.

***WEDDDING BELLS*** MARSHALL-GUSTAFSON: William E. Marshall, son of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Marshall of this place and Miss Alma M. Gustafson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Gustafson, were married at the parsonage of the Second U.P. Church in Monmouth on Nov. 23rd. The couple was attended by Harry Comstock of La Harpe, Ill. and Miss Laura Myrtle Gustafson, a sister of the bride. A simple ring ceremony was used in the marriage.

The bride was attractively attired in a suit of blue duvetyn (a soft napped fabric made of cotton, rayon, wool and silk) with hat to match and carried a bouquet of bride's roses. Mrs. Marshall is an accomplished popular young lady and has recently been a student in the State Normal at Macomb. The groom is a young man of sterling character and is highly thought of by all of his associates. He was in the overseas service during the late war and since that time has been engaged in farming on his father's farm west of Stronghurst.

Immediately after the ceremony the couple left on a trip to Niagara Falls. They expect to be home to their friends after Dec. 1st on the Marshall farm.

A SOCIAL EVENT: The banquet given by the ladies of the Community Club to the men of the community at the club rooms last Tuesday evening was thoroughly enjoyed by about 60 men. The menu was all that could be desired and served in admirable style by a number of young ladies.. . During the banquet the group was entertained by a number of piano selections by Mrs. Q. W. Nelson, several songs by a quartette consisting of Prof. Larson, Chas. Fort, George Widney and K.E. Yoakam. A couple of select readings were given by Miss Maree Larson. The banqueters showed their appreciation of the all by hearty encores from all entertainers.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: George Annegers, who expected to spend the winter at a southern health resort was taken seriously ill and is being cared for at the Burlington Hospital. The many friends of Wm. Hartquist will be sorry to learn that he is at present confined to his bed on account of illness resulting from what is thought to be an ulcerated stomach. Harry Moore, formerly of the country south of Stronghurst and now living in San Francisco, Cal. is reported to be critically ill. Mr. Peter Livermore, a Civil War veteran residing in Roseville Township in Warren County, has lost the sight of one of his eyes from a tumor; he will be 84 years old this month. The well preserved skeleton of an Indian was found recently by a party of explorers headed by Scott McQuown of Monmouth while excavating an old Indian mound northeast of Gladstone. There are said to be 70-80 of these mounds in the same neighborhood. A Ford touring car partially consumed by fire was found in the bottom of a ditch running under a bridge between Oquawka and Gladstone. It had been stolen from Ray Williams of Danville, Ia. Before the owner was located, however, the removable parts of the car which had not been burned were carried away by unknown parties.

LAST FOOTBALL GAME: the 1921 football season ended on Thanksgiving Day when the Ft. Madison eleven took a 6-3 victory from the local team. The game was hard fought and the local team didn't give up until the final whistle blew. The Stronghurst fans who saw the game feel that with the exception of the 3rd quarter, the Stronghurst boys outplayed the Iowa team in every way. About 64 fans exclusive of the team went over to see the game. Others who could not attend were down at the station to give the team a cheer before the final game of the season. (Read a blow by blow account on microfilm at the Henderson County Public Library.)

OBITUARY WILLARD C. TUBBS: Willard C. Tubbs, one of the leading financiers of this part of the state and one of the best known men of Warren and Henderson Counties, died at his home in Kirkwood, Ill. on Nov. 26th of an illness of several months. Mr. Tubbs was at the time of his death president of the National Bank of Monmouth and was also connected as a stock holder in the First National Bank of Kirkwood, the Berwick State Bank and the State Bank of Stronghurst. He was one of the organizers of the Stronghurst State Bank and was first vice president in addition to his activities in the financial affairs in the two counties.

Mr. Tubbs was the son of Rev. James Tubbs and Mary A. (Barton) Tubbs, who came to Kirkwood, Ill. from Troy, N.Y. in 1858 when their son was but 7 years of age. Rev. James Tubbs organized the First M. E. Church at Kirkwood and became its first pastor. The son, Willard C., received his education in the common schools in Kirkwood and at colleges at Abingdon, Ill. and Mt. Pleasant, Ia. He began his business career as baggage and ticket agent for the C.B. & Q. R.R. at Galesburg in 1871. Three years later the First National Bank of Kirkwood was organized and he was made cashier. He later became president of that bank and cashier of the National Bank of Monmouth and still later became its president.

He married on Dec. 24, 1875 to Miss Emma Smith of Kirkwood and the wife and five children survive him, the children being J. A. Tubbs, Albert R. Tubbs, Lelah M., Ruth and Henry W. Funeral services were conducted at the M.E. Church in Kirkwood with interment in the Kirkwood Cemetery. Casket bearers were J. D. Lynch, John C. Allen, E. C. Hardin, D.E. Gayer, F.O. Johnson, R. S. Russell and H. B. Safford of Monmouth and C. R. Kaiser of Stronghurst.

REAL ESTATE SELLS LOW: The sale of the Schroeder estate farm lands and town lots held in Stronghurst did not attract a very large crowd and there was very little rivalry in the bidding for the various tracts offered. The farm land adjacent to the former village of Hopper's Mills together with the town lots included in the village was knocked off to Oscar Schroeder on his bid of $4,646.40. The Stronghurst residence property, consisting of lots 8,9,10,11 and 12 in Block 16 with the dwelling thereon was purchased by George T. Chant for $1,200. The sale was conducted by Master in Chancery James W. Gordon.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Mrs. Frances Gillauthe, 65 years of age, offered to give the St. Francis Hospital in Peoria $4,000 for her room and board during the remainder of her natural life. The offer was accepted and she died within a week. Her heirs tried to have the contract set aside, but the appellate court held it good. A number of Dallas City young people report seeing a large buck deer in the road between that city and Fort Madison while they were returning home from a dance which they had attended in the latter mentioned city. The young people were riding in a truck and claimed that they chased the deer for about two miles and that it then leaped a high fence and disappeared across the fields. (This was an oddity as deer had all but disappeared from this area.) The annual Dixson family Thanksgiving reunion was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Dixson and all had a royal time.

The Blandinsville Gazette allows that things are a little out of joint when a dozen eggs will pay for a half bushel of wheat or two bushels of corn and when it takes 5 bushels of corn to buy a bushel of turnips. (After WWI farm prices were depressed.) Contracts were signed by which Mr. B.L. Mudd disposed of his 147 acre farm located 3 miles south of Stronghurst to John Ross of Ellison Township in Warren County and O.L. Beckett of this place, the latter acquiring a 35 acre plat adjoining his own farm which is located on the north of the Mudd farm and Mr. Ross taking the balance of the farm.

Marion Forbes has a position in Chicago as a salesman for the Woodstock Typewriter Co. Miss Julia Huppert, a student in Brown's Business College in Burlington and her aunt visited home folks Sunday. Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Marshall and family are moving into their newly completed and finely equipped home on Mary St. in Stronghurst. Max Barnett, who has employment in Burlington was taken seriously ill at the Y.M.C.A. rooms and was taken to the Burlington Hospital where he was operated on for appendicitis; he is recovering nicely. Mr. and Mrs. W. H. White sent their son Russell in Chicago the constituents for a fine Thanksgiving dinner by parcel post. Miss Martha Davis went to the Galesburg Hospital where she was operated upon for the removal of her tonsils for an abscess of the neck; she is recovering nicely. The pupils of the Fort school, which she teaches, are taking a vacation during her illness. The Misses Ethel and Edith Hartquist visited their sister, Miss Evelyn, who is a student at Northwestern University. The revival meetings which have been in progress at the Christian Church under the direction Elder Catlin closed last Saturday evening with a baptismal service. The meetings have resulted in quite a spiritual awakening and a number of accessions have been made to the church.

NARROW ESCAPE: Claude Renwick, oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Alf Renwick, had a very narrow escape from death. A young bull had broken into a neighbor's field and Claude had gone after it on a horse. While on their way home the young animal turned on the horse and rider and charged straight at them plunging his horns into the horse which in agony sprang forward almost throwing Claude to the ground. He managed to remain on the horse which was his only safety. He then managed to turn the horse into a neighbor's barnyard. The horse was fatally hurt and had to be killed. The young animal had never been of an angry disposition and when later captured and taken home showed no further resistance.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Graham Stewart who was returned to the hospital had his limb cut into finding a great deal of puss at the bone. Since the operation his condition has been better. The entertainment given at the high school by the grade children realized $40. Sixteen ladies enjoyed a rug rag sewing Tuesday night at the home of Mrs. J. Y. Whiteman. Refreshments of raspberries and whipped cream, cake and coffee were served. The men of the country club will entertain their ladies Friday night at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Whiteman west of town at a womenless wedding. Mrs. Eliza Smith of Monmouth has been engaged to have charge of the kitchen work. At a reception at the M. E. Church for their pastor, Rev. Morton and family, all members were asked to bring a donation of a pound of anything. A good crowd was present and had an enjoyable time.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Dennie Ahlburg has been appointed railway mail clerk. Charles Dyle is working at the West Burlington shops. The new house Mr. Oberly has built on his farm south of town is finished and they expect to move into it his week. George Christy has his restaurant building finished on Main Street and moved into it Tuesday. George Green from Bryan's Garage went to Monmouth to attend a meeting of the Elks lodge. Wallace Mitchel, who has been ill for several days, has returned to work at the Runyon Garage.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Edwin Erickson, who is attending Augustana College at Rock Island, brought home three of his schoolmates, Messrs. Erman Fredreckson and Emil Newman. The corn husking will soon be done in the area. The high school will give an oyster supper in the Community club room with proceeds going to the school. Terre Haute and Media high school basketball teams had a double header game. The first game was won by Terre Haute with a score of 33 to 19. The second contest was won by the Media boys with a score of 7 to 5. The Seed Co. basketball team expects to play the young men's Sunday school team of the United Presbyterian Church of Biggsville sometime this week.