The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Board President Resigns
On Wednesday, August 21, 2013, at the West Central CUSD #235 Board of Education Dr. Robbins informed the board that she was submitting a letter of resignation from her position as a board member to the board effective Thursday, August 22, 2013.
Dr. Robbins thanked the board for the opportunity to serve on the board and indicted she was resigning her position due to her and her family moving to Abingdon, Illinois.
The board briefly discussed how they will proceed to fill Dr. Robbins' vacant position. It was decided they will put a notification in the local newspapers informing the community of the vacancy and that interested parties should submit a letter of interest to Dr. Brent and those letters should be mailed to the Unit Office.
The deadline for submitting the letter of interest will be 3 p.m. on Thursday, September 5, 2013. The board will then meet to review the letters of interest received and then determine the next step in the process.
All board members were present at roll call except Mrs. John.
President Robbins led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
The board conducted a public hearing concerning the intent of the board to sell $2,300,000 of school fire prevention and safety bonds. There were no comments offered by members of the board regarding the proposed sell of the bonds, nor was there any written testimony presented to the board regarding this sell of bonds. District resident Barry Bigger did ask several questions regarding the proposed sell of the bonds during the hearing. Dr. Robbins closed the public hearing at approximately 7:09 p.m.
Under good news items the following successes were highlighted:
- The board recognized 11 high school students as Academic Excellence Award recipients for the 2012-13 school year. Those students who were recognized for having a 4.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale were Brad Bavery, Sydney Bigger, Somer Hill, Mallory Lafary, Andrew Lewis, Thomas Lewis, Dakota Parks, Taylor Rice, Katie Robertson, Anna Stevenson, and Audry Vice. Of this group, Brad Bavery, Andrew Lewis, Thomas Lewis, Taylor Rice and Katie Robertson had earned this recognition previously. The members of the Class of 2013 who earned this recognition were presented their award during their graduation ceremony last May.
- Flatt's Tire from Stronghurst was thanked for removing the old tires sitting between the buildings free of charge.
- The Village of Stronghurst was thanked for the street pavement work that was completed in front of the middle school circle drive;
- Zach Bundy was the featured picture on the NFHS.org website. NFHS is the National Federation of State High School Associations.
- It was highlighted that all three buildings hosted wonderful "Back to School Nights" before school started;
- The 6th and 9th grade "Jumpstart Programs" were quite successful with very good attendance
- The custodial and maintenance staff were thanked for their work over the summer making the buildings look wonderful for the start of school
- Alexis Ensminger is currently being showcased on the Western Illlinois University website for her softball achievements.
- The Henderson County Sheriff's Office was thanked for their assistance with traffic flow with the road construction that is going on at the north campus.
- The High School was recognized for making AYP.
- The Turning Page book club has made a cash donation for supplies for our homeless students.
- It was reported by the Henderson County Library that over 300 students participated in the summer reading program.
- The West Central Pre K program held a screening last week where they screened 20 students and there is now a waiting list for that program
- Matt Vancil was recognized for placing 10th in the World in trap shooting down in St. Louis.
- The board was thanked for preparing and serving the luncheon on teacher's institute day
- Elementary student Jordan Kane was recognized for his winning of the "Tough Enough Miniature Rodeo Association" bull riding last weekend.
- The board approved the agenda with the following additions:
- XVI(D-5). Employment: Millie Bundy, WCHS Dance Sponsor
- XVI(D-6). Volunteer: Adam Burrell, WCMS Football
- There was no one present who wished to address the board on any agenda items.
- The consent agenda was approved with the agenda item of student fees being pulled for further discussion. Items approved under the consent agenda included:
- Minutes of the June 19, 2013 regular meeting
- August 1, 2013 special meeting minutes
- Closed session minutes of June 19, 2013 and August 1, 2013
Under financial activity, the board approved payment of all bills as presented. They approved the June and July 2013 activity accounts for West Central High School, West Central Middle School and West Central Elementary School. They also approved the treasurer's reports for June and July 2013 as presented.
Superintendent Grimm reported that there were not any percentages in the monthly financial report as the budget has not yet been approved. He also reported that as of August 21, 2013 the State of Illinois owes District #235 an amount of $98,015. Of that total, $3732 is carry over from FY13.
The board approved a loan in the amount of $250,000 from the working cash fund to the transportation fund for FY14. This is the fourth consecutive year such a loan is being made. The loan is necessary due to the lack of state reimbursement for transportation
An agreement with McDonough District Hospital was approved to continue providing the random drug testing that has been in place in the district for the last four years. All terms and conditions of the program from FY13 will be carried over into FY14. It was noted that the testing will take place during the months school is in session and that 10 students will be tested each month at a cost of $35.00 per student per test.
A contract with Onward Health Care of Wilton Connecticut was approved for services of a speech and language therapist for the 2013-14 school year.
The board selected Stifel Nicholaus of St Louis, MO as the bond underwriter for the 2013 health life safety 10 year survey bond sale.
In other business:
- Approved a resolution regarding the reduction in force of two shuttle trips resulting in the reduction of hours for two district bus drivers. This means that two bus drivers will no longer be driving the between campus shuttle; however, they will continue to drive their regular routes.
- Heard summaries from their written reports from Mrs. Lafary, Mr. Nichols and Mr. Schneider. They briefly reviewed Mr. Grimm's curriculum report, the district technology report as submitted by Mrs. Frakes and the district special education report as submitted by Mrs. Farniok.
- Briefly discussed the summer work and the life safety work that has taken place over the summer. Mr. Grimm also updated the board on the road construction that is taking place as part of the Biggsville by-pass that is taking place at this time.
- Heard a report from Superintendent Grimm on the opening of the 2013-14 school year. He thanked the board for providing lunch for the staff on August 14th.
- Received a written summary of the 2012-13 ISAT, PSAE and ACT scores for District #235. It was noted during this portion of the agenda that West Central High School did make Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) for 2013. It was noted that this is a significant accomplishment for the high school and the high school staff and administration were complimented for their success. Also noted was that the district, the middle school and the elementary did not make AYP for 2013. A brief discussion was held concerning the change in the cut scores that ISBE enacted in January 2013.
There were no items noted under future agenda items.
The board did not go into closed session.
The board took the following personnel action:
- Accepted the resignation of Rachel Ford as a Title I associate
- Accepted the resignation of Tiffany Spiker as a district cook
- Accepted the resignation of April Hill as a part time Title I associate
- Employed April Hill as a district associate
- Employed Kris Peterson, Cindy Boyd, and Mindy Armentrout as Title I part time associates
- Employed Donna Link as a district cook
- Accepted the resignation of Barb Scott as WCHS Dance team sponsor
- Accepted the resignation, with thanks, of Ron and Sue Rothzen as volunteer WCHS bowling team coaches
- Employed Mike Lenahan as WCMS head football coach
- Employed Tyler Klossing as WCMS assistant football coach
- Employed Millie Bundy as WCHS dance sponsor
- Approved Adam Burrell as a WCMS volunteer football coach
The board approved a resolution to release closed session minutes as per exhibit "A" and "B"
The board was reminded that their next meeting is Wednesday, September 18, 2013 and that meeting will be held in the elementary cafeteria.
It was pointed out that the board will convene at 6:30 p.m. to conduct a hearing on the FY14 budget. The board will then meet and greet the teachers new to District #235.
Dr. Robbins announced to the board that she has appointed Amy John to the District finance sub-committee.
There being no other business to come before the board, they adjourned their meeting at 8:31 p.m.