The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, July 28, 1921

ONE BIG PARTY:: Practically the entire population of the village and a large number of country folk made merry at the village park last Friday evening where a Fete Champetre had been staged by the women of the Community Club. The object of the ladies in arranging the affair was to provide an evening of genuine fun and divertissement which would banish for the time all thoughts of the weightier concerns of life which are calculated to furrow the brain and promote the growth of gray locks on the head of the average citizen. Therefore, nothing in the way of speech making or exercises of literary nature had a place on the program; but old and young gave themselves up to the enjoyment of the round of sports which had been provided and to the gastronomic pleasure afforded by the festive "hot weenie," the ice cream and cooling soft drinks which were to be obtained on the grounds.

Of course, the main interest of the crowd was manifested in the various contests for the prizes which had been offered by the business and professional men of the village, and each individual contest was the center of a crowd of enthusiastic spectators whose expressions of encouragement or of derision of their efforts spurred the contestants on to do their best.

The winners of the different races and contests were as follows: Horseshoe shoe pitching-Earl Beardsley and Oscar Hamberg; Kiddie Car race for fat men-John Dowell; Newspaper race-B. G. Widney; Feather race-Ruth McMillan; Balloon race-Kenneth Decker; Three legged race-Arthur Collins; Sack race-Arthur Collins; Croquet-Donald Johnstone, Billie Lukens, Walter Woodward and Guy Stine; Bean guessing contest-Lois Shaw. A number of children's dances given in the band pavilion in the park furnished a pleasing variety to the general program.

The ladies of the community Club express their appreciation of the generosity of the business and professional men of the village in furnishing the prizes for the contests and to the community in general for the generous patronage given the fete.

TRI -COUNTY FAIR: The Tri-County Fair Association of La Harpe is making great preparations for a big Fair on September 6-9. They have erected the largest and best hog and cattle barns in this section of the country, both buildings have plenty of light and ventilation, running water and electric lights. The hog barn has cement floors in all pens.

A new Floral Hall costing $5,000($59, 480 in today's money) is now under construction and many other improvements are also being made. There will be four big days and three night shows and hundreds of dollars worth of fireworks. Racing will be one of the main features. The $1,000 stake races, together with the late closers, insure a big race meeting. Their premium lists are ready and anyone desiring it may write Secretary J.W. Minnich, La Harpe, Ill.

MOURN DEATH OF YOUNG SON: Mr. and Mrs. James Callow of Media are mourning the loss of their five year old son, James Callow, Jr., whose death occurred July 21st following an attack of diphtheria. The remains were taken to Monmouth Friday afternoon and after brief services interred in the Catholic Cemetery at that place, Mrs. Callow, the boy's mother, is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Leinbach of this place. Mr. and Mrs. S. Leinbach; Mr. and Mrs. P. A. Veech, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Hugg and Mr. and Mrs. Guy Leinbach of this place were members of the funeral party which accompanied the remains to Monmouth.

1896 GRAPHIC: What was announced as the most terrific electric storm ever known in Stronghurst prevailed on the evening of July 23rd. The O. L. Dunsworth residence was struck and set on fire by lightning and while the firemen were extinguishing the blaze, the D. Dunsworth house only about 30 feet distant and occupied by A. Mizneer was struck and a number of people standing nearby were badly stunned. The Thrush barber shop was also stuck and Thrush and his partner, Mr. Kibbey, both severely shocked by the bolt.

Mr. and Mrs. O. L. Dunsworth were surprised at their home by a company of their friends on the evening of July 24th, it being the eve of their departure from Stronghurst; and during the social time which was enjoyed, they were made the recipients of a handsome silver cake stand as a remembrance from the guests. Marion Rodman returned from a two weeks visit in Indiana brings with him a bride who had formerly been Miss Rosa Dearinger of Rexville, Ind. Mrs. Electra Hicks, widow of Marion Hicks, died at Carman, Ill. on July 27th after a lingering illness. James Hicks bought back his farm west of Olena during the week from Newt Hardin who was preparing to move out of the same.

LAUNCHED IN THE AIR: Irwin Milliken had quite an exciting experience while driving the Voorhees family Briscoe touring car home from Stronghurst. While going down the second hill south of Honey Creek, the steering gear of the car went wrong and the machine took a header over an embankment alighting top side down in a ravine by the roadside. Fortunately, a heavy growth of underbrush caught the car and made it possible for Irwin to crawl out uninjured. Saved for a broke windshield and some other slight damage, the car also came out of the wreck O.K. (Don't we wish an accident was that simple today!)

HOTEL CHANGES HANDS: Through the A. S. McElhinney real estate agency, the Pendry hotel property on North Broadway was sold to Mrs. Lillie Mahnesmith who intends to take possession as soon as the property is vacated by the present tenants. No word was received where the Pendrys intend to locate; they are advertising a public sale of some of their hotel furniture on July 28th.

ICE ON SUNDAY: Hereafter we will sell no ice on Sundays later than 10 a.m. A man will be at the car from 8-10 am to take care of the demand which comes in during that time.

FREED FROM SERIOUS CHARGE: A case was tried before Justice W. H. White in the village hall last Monday which because of its sensational nature attracted much attention and a large crowd of spectators.

On July 14th Mr. John Tracy of this place swore out a warrant for the arrest of Wm. Farrar, station agent at Decorra, charging him with the crime of assault with intent to commit rape upon the person of Mrs. David Lair of Decorra, who is the daughter of Mr. Tracy. Monday was the day set by the Justice for the preliminary examination of Farrarr and States attorney Nolan came down from Oquawka to take charge of the prosecution. The defendant was represented by Attorney Wm. Hartzell of Carthage.

Mrs. Lair was the only witness to testify in the case and her evidence was that the offence charged had been committed on the 7th of July and repeated on the 8th on both occasions the defendant, who was a close neighbor and sold milk to the Lairs, had on delivering the milk in the morning taken advantage of the fact that Mrs. Lair was alone in the house and had entered her bedroom and attempted to assault her. Under grilling cross-examination by Attorney Hartzell, the witness made some admissions concerning liberties which she had a various times previously allowed the defendant to take, which had a tendency to weaken her testimony. She also admitted that at the times the alleged offenses were committed, she could easily have summoned the assistance of nearby neighbors by making only a slight out cry. She also admitted that on her making a show of resistance to the advances of the defendant, he had desisted there from and left the house.

It was further brought out in the cross examination that the witness made no mention of the assaults to anyone until some trouble arose later between the wife of the defendant, who as away from home when the alleged offense was committed, and herself, and that she had then expressed to a neighbor her intention of showing up the defendant.

The defense put no witnesses on the stand and made no attempt to refute the testimony of Mrs. Lair as given in her direct and cross examination. In his argument of the case Attorney Hartzell confined himself to the contention that taking into consideration all of the circumstances connected therewith, the acts of the defendant did not constitute the crime of assault with intent to commit rape. This view was upheld by the court and he ordered the discharge of the defendant. Following the rendering of his decision Justice White delivered a short lecture in which he severely censured the defendant for the offence against morality and the sanctity of the home which had been shown by his acts as testified by the complaining witness although they did not, in his estimation, warrant him in finding that the actual crime charged in the complaint had been committed.

BIG RESPONSIBILITY: America's great Passion Pageant, "The Wayfarer," which it is claimed a million people tried to see during the eight weeks that it was present in New York and Columbus, is being stage in Seattle, Wash. One of the features of the pageant is a scene depicting the birth of the Messiah, in which 500 children take part; and the dramatic training of these 500 children was placed in the hands of Mrs. Ruby Crenshaw Bell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Crenshaw of this place, who was her on a visit last summer and had editorial charge of the Graphic while the regular editor was away on a four week's vacation. The Seattle Times of June 19th contained a picture of Mrs. Bell along with a number of other principles chosen to officiate in the production of the Wayfarer.

Some idea of the immensity of the pageant maybe gained from the fact that there are 3,000 singers in the trained chorus, that 2,000 actors take part in various scenes and that seven car loads of scenery and costumes, costing $265,000 are required in the production. The proceeds of the pageant will go for to the University of Washington Stadium.

APPOINTED RURAL CARRIER: Lloyd Rankin received notice of his appointment as rural mail carrier on Route 2 out of Stronghurst to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Jed Maxey last April. Since the death of John Salter, all three routes from here have been without regular carriers and have been served by substitutes. Elnora Maxey served Route 1; Roy Shook did Route 2 and Walter Gregory handled Route 3. Mr. Rankin was one of 6 applicants who took the civil service exam for carrier.

A CORRECTION: In the brief article last week concerning the death of Ernest Reese at Mooseheart, Ill., we stated he was at the time of his death an inmate of an orphanage there. In a letter received from the boy's Mother, Mrs. Beulah Reece of Media, she states that Ernest was a student at the Mooseheart vocational school for children of deceased members of the Loyal Order of the Moose only. The letter also gives the following information concerning the drowning accident in which the young lad lost his life.

"Ernest went in bathing with the other boys and the life guard last Friday evening at about 7 o'clock and was with them until a short time before they came out. When they came out of the water, Ernest was gone. A search was started at once and his body was not found until 3 hours later. The coroner's verdict was "accidental drowning," but the doctors of Mooseheart were of the opinion that he had suffered an attack of acute indigestion as there was very little water in his lungs and his stomach was much distended."

ATTEND STATE FAIR SCHOOL FOR GIRLS: Misses Merle Adair and Stella Marshall will represent Henderson County at the State Fair Girls' School at Springfield. These young ladies were appointed to take the places of Misses Martha Davis and Maxine Lovitt, who were unable to attend. This is the first time Stronghurst has been represented at this school. The appointments were secured through the auspices of the Domestic Science Department of the Women's Community Club.

PLEAD GUILTY TO ASSAULT: Last Saturday Allie Bruce appeared before Justice W. H. White and entered a plea of guilty to the charge of assault and battery which had been preferred against him following the street fight which occurred on July 13th in which G. W. Williams, a traveling comb peddler had his nose broken and was otherwise injured.

The court assessed a fine of $20.00 and costs against Bruce after the latter had expressed contrition for his action and had agreed to pay for the medical services required by Williams and also for his board and lodging during his enforced stay here. He also gave William $10.00 as additional compensation for the injuries he received. The total amount of the fine, costs and incidentals was about $66 (about $785 in today's money). The county also filed charged against Bruce in connection with some other charges growing out of the affair, but a settlement of these has been effected.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Miss Leota Mayfield, formerly of this place and now a resident of Red Oak, Iowa visited the Ralph Ingram home near Terre Haute. Amongst those who took the examination for teachers' certificates at Oquawka were the Misses Alice Wax, Martha Davis, Icel Rezner, Ardis Hicks, Thelma Peterson and Ether Johnson. The streets of Raritan are to be oiled, the sum of $400 having been raised by popular subscription while additional funds will be provided from the proceeds of a social given by the local Community Club. Claus Ahlers, son of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Ahlers of the southeast country had a diseased gland of his throat removed at the Monmouth Hospital; his sister, Miss Anna Ahlers, is also receiving treatment at the hospital for an infected hand. Oliver Chandler of Fort Collins, Colo. has been greeting friends during the past few days. Mrs. Emma Simonson and daughter Bernice of Louisiana, Mo. arrived for an extended visit with Mrs. Frances Bailey and daughter Bessie at the Corteyou Manor farm.

Amongst the entries in the "better babies" contest being conducted by the Herald Examiner and the Monmouth Daily Atlas are Eva, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Guy Lanphere and Elizabeth Jean, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Riley. For the past two weeks, workmen have been dynamiting the foundation of the old concrete bridge which spanned Honey Creek near the Wm. Bricker residence northwest of Raritan and which was damaged by a flood which occurred last year. The bridge itself remaining intact and will be raised to the proper level and a new foundation built underneath. Mrs. J.H. Peasley is suffering from a broken arm which injury she sustained when she fell down a stairway in her home 4 miles southwest of Stronghurst.

The scales at the railroad stockyards have been rebuilt and put in first class condition by their owner, Mr. L. A. Wilson, the work being done by Mr. Chas. O'Haven of Galesburg, who is an expert in work of that kind. (Stronghurst was once a major shipping site for livestock on the Santa Fe). County Supt. of Highways, C. R. A. Marshall reports the completion of the new concrete bridge across Honey Creek on the road leading south from Raritan. The bridge commissioners of Henderson and Mercer Counties met at Seaton and let the contract for the construction of a 4 x 4 concrete culvert on the Henderson-Mercer county line. This is said to be the first time within the last 50 years that the two counties have cooperated in the building of a county line bridge. E. O. Barnes, editor of The Raritan Reporter, announced that he and his wife were leaving for a three weeks vacation trip through the west, including a visit to Yellowstone Park. Having had only 3 weeks vacation in the past 37 years, Mr. Barnes feels that he has earned and is entitled to another 3 weeks.

Peter Bainter, who is quite ill for some time, is receiving special treatment at the Burlington Hospital. An event which we are rather late in recording was the birth of a young son to Mr. and Mrs. Perry Stamp at their home on July 17th. W. C. Ivins, B.G. Widney, Roy Park and George Chant went to West Point, Ill to inspect a farm which they are joint owners. The Nauvoo Rustler very pertinently remarked: "Look where the price of wheat is today, then glance at the price of flour. Doesn't it make you feel like swearing?" (Some things never change.) Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Peterson, J.A. Peterson and family and daughter Lillian and Chas. Lind and daughters Frances and Esther were present at a Peterson family reunion picnic at Crapo Park, Burlington.

Notwithstanding the severe spell of dry weather and the fearfully hot weather which has prevailed in this section for weeks, the early corn appears to be earing remarkably well and promises a big yield. The late corn is, however, showing the effects of the adverse weather conditions and unless rain comes soon, will yield little more than a good crop of fodder. A social dance will be given at the Raritan Opera House Friday evening; music will be furnished by a six piece orchestra from Stronghurst. (Who were in this group?) A county tubercular clinic was held in the Masonic hall in Stronghurst under the auspices of the County medical Association. Dr. J. W. Petit of Ottawa, Ill., a representative of the state Tubercular Association was present and with the assistance of local physicians, examined nine patients who had presented themselves. Dr. Petit later delivered a lecture on tuberculosis.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Mrs. Lena Kilgore and daughter Jane and Miss Lucile Zimmerman returned home from Bloomington where they attended Normal the past six weeks. A number of people from here made trips to Monmouth to enter their babies in the contest. Mrs. Jennie Bailey arrived from Santa Barbara, California to visit her sister, Mrs. J.Y. Whiteman. Eighteen dollars was realized at the ice cream supper given by the Community Club. Lynn Jamison left for Chicago where he entered the Chicago University to specialize on the work he will teach the coming winter in the high school. William Sloan shipped his fat cattle to Chicago. He expects soon to move to his home on Zion's hill in the west part of town. (Where is this?) A cistern is being put in at the north side of the U.P. church which will be quite a convenient addition to the church kitchen.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: John Johnson of Monmouth is the instructor for the Gladstone band boys and now they will have a band concert every Thursday evening on the street. Mrs. John Cisna is reported among the sick. Will Morris, who has been in the Burlington Hospital for nearly a month, was able to come home; he was one of three who were in the auto and train wreck just north of town. Mr. John Fryer, the other man injured, is getting along fine, but it will be some time before he can come home. Miss Edna Jamison had her tonsils removed at the Monmouth Hospital.

OBITUARY***MRS. BEN BASS*** Mrs. Ben Bass died at her home July 18th and the funeral was held at the U. P. Church with Rev. Wright of Rozetta in charge of the services. Interment was in the Biggsville Cemetery; she leaves her husband and three children to mourn her loss which will be a great one in the home.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: Mr. Peterson and his crew have been very busy in the neighborhood with their threshing machine. The Olena church had a picture show on Monday evening. At a special meeting in the church parlors, the group voted to have a "community" or Home-Coming in Olena in the near future. Miss Thelma Peterson is the owner of a Ford car. Lowell Booten and family moved their household effects into the Detrick property. Mrs. Margaret Peyton is acting as matron of "Shawnee Camp" near Fairview, Iowa, a girls' summer camp.

CARMAN CONCERNS: Quite a large crowd of Stronghurst young folks enjoyed an outing at their club house near the Vaughn Lake. (Where is this?) Rev. Arthur Marston of Terre Haute made pastoral calls in the community. Rain is the most talked of subject, but it still stays dry.

KANRED WHEAT YEILDS WELL IN COUNTY: Just a few years ago 20 bushels of wheat per acre was considered a good yield. But with Kanred that seems low. Test after test has proved Kanred to be superior to other varieties in this section. In some cases Kanred has double the yield. Joe Dixon, Ralph Painter and E. G. Lewis report 40 bushels per acres. No doubt some yields are higher. The demand for Kanred wheat is growing, and Mr. Lewis will ship several car loads out of the county for seed. Dr. Marshall and S. N. Mather expect to use 400 bushels of Kanred on their farm in Pike County.