The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, August 11, 1921

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Mrs. J. W. Hicks is confined to her home by a sprained ankle occasioned by stepping into a post hole in her yard. Ralph Marshall, who has been making his home with his son Norton in Adams County, is reported to be in serious condition at St. Francis Hospital in Burlington. Paul "Baker," who has made his home with his aunt, Mrs. J. H. Baker for the past 8 years, has gone to Lincoln, Nebr. to his future home with his father, H. C. Tutwiler. Editor W. T. Frye of the Lomax Searchlight accompanied by his brother, Richard Frye and family of Media, left on an automobile trip to their old home in Eastern Tennessee.

A. E. Moore, contractor, and his force of workmen are engaged in building a new standard school building on the site of the old stone structure which has served district No. 14, the Peasley district west of Stronghurst, for many years. Mrs. Flo. Tillotson of Moline, formerly of Stronghurst has been engaged as teacher for the coming school year. Newspapers in neighboring towns have recently been featuring under prominent headlines the news that C. W. Walker, who "mysteriously" disappeared from this community last spring, had been seen by Ed. Bowen of this place at a picnic in Aurora some time ago. The disappearance of Mr. Walker has long since ceased to be a matter of mystery to most people in this vicinity and the news of his being found has created scarcely a ripple of excitement.

LICENSE THAT CAR: Through the more of less kind offices of a special law enforcement official who dropped into Stronghurst, a number of people in this vicinity have been made acquainted with the provisions of the state automobile laws and especially those sections which apply to the procuring of licenses both for cars and for drivers of cars and trucks owned by other people. We understand that disregard of the law was overlooked in some cases where there appeared to be no intent to defraud the state and where promise was made to obey law in the future. We have been informed, however, that in a few flagrant cases of violations of the laws, stiff fines were imposed.

DALLAS CITY EDITOR DIES: Charles H. Kistner, editor, business manager and one of the principal stockholders of the Dallas City Enterprise, died at the Lomax Hotel in Lomax on Aug. 4 at 5:45 following a sickness of about a week from fever and chills. The remains were taken to Dallas City the same evening and remained at the undertaking rooms of Jarvis and Martin until Saturday afternoon when they were taken to Fort Madison under escort of the K. of P. lodge of Dallas City of which the deceased was a member. After short services, interment was made in the Fort Madison Cemetery.

The following facts were gleaned from the Dallas City Review, August 9th:

"He was born in Fort Madison on September 30, 1858 where he spent the greater part of his life. He was one of four children, two sisters dying in their youth and his parents both preceding him. He was 62 years, 10 months and 6 days at the time of his death. He is survived by one brother, Louis Kistner of Fort Madison.

Charles Kistner was an old-time master printer, learning his trade on the Fort Madison paper when a boy and before the time of machines. Some seventeen years ago he started a paper at Niota, later moving to this city and starting the Enterprise. He has also been interested with W. T. Love in the New City of Lomax and is printing ventures and we believe was still interested there in the printing business at the time of his demise.

He has a host of friends here and at Lomax and Fort Madison who mourn his passing. He was also prominent in musical work and our bands and orchestra. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias and Elks Lodges and we believe held membership to the Eagles and other fraternities. He was for many years a member of the Fort Madison Fire Department as well as bands and orchestra there."

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Miss Eleanor Kyle and mother, Mrs. John Pogue and Miss Faree Mathers motored to Monmouth and attended the conference there. Quite a number attended the dance at Raritan Saturday night. About 90 attended a Pendarvis reunion held at Crapo Park on Sunday. J. B. Palmer just finished drilling a well at his home. The drillers are now drilling for Mrs. S.A. Pendarvis. Miss Lena Azdell, Mr. Percy Neumann and Mr. Lloyd Shughart, all of Little York and Miss Juanita Howell from here enjoyed a picnic dinner at the big bridge Sunday. (The railroad trestle?) Miss Opal Wolfe, post mistress, is again at her post of duty after three weeks vacation visiting several of the Midwestern cities. She attended the postmasters convention at Des Moines, Iowa, where she and Miss Ruth Carr of Salix, Iowa, were honored as the two youngest post mistresses in the United States. Mrs. Strong and Mrs. Beulah Reece are cleaning the public school building readying it for the starting of school which will open on Aug. 29th. Mrs. Barnard White has been employed to teach the primary room.

Mr. and Mrs. George Wax, Mr. Charles Wax and daughter Alice of Stronghurst motored to Starved Rock and spent the day Sunday. A car load of road oil arrived here and was hauled to Raritan for the streets. An auto inspector was in town reminding owners that they did not have the right kind of numbers and licenses for their cars. Mr. Joe Huff of Stronghurst has been appointed rural mail carrier here. An airplane lit in a field just south of town and Mr. Ward Gibson had the pleasure of taking a ride in it. Quite a number from here have been going to Oquawka the past week and bringing home loads of fine watermelons.

HEADLINES OF THE DAY: "Plymouth Sees New Mayflower; Sox Players Freed (Seven Baseball Men "Not Guilty" of Throwing Games); Rockefeller Must Pay Tax; Enrico Caruso Dead; Western Canada Farmers Rejoice Over Bountiful Harvest and Mexico Puts Tax on Autos."

***OBITUARY*** MARIN WILBUR BICE: Marion Wilbur Bice, son of William H. and Mary E. Bice was born Dec. 28, 1865 near Gladstone and was a lifelong resident of Henderson County except for about eight years spent in Kansas. The last 25 years he has lived at Media where he was engaged in farming, having leased and operated the same farm all these years and by his industry, his strict integrity, his modest retiring disposition, and by his ready response to help his neighbors and those he came in contact, he goes to his rest without an enemy in the world.

During the last six months he has been a great sufferer and about two weeks ago, hoping in vain that his life might be spared, he was taken by his sisters to St.Mary's Hospital in Galesburg where relief came Aug. 5. aged 56 years, 7 months and 7 days.

He leaves to mourn his loss one brother, Jess W. Bice of Wallace, Neb. and five sisters: Mrs. Sarah Mathers of Weiser, Idaho; Mrs. Cynthia Bell of Monmouth, Ill., Mrs. Maude Lang of Tama, Iowa and the Misses Katherine and Lucy Bice at home. Services were conducted Sunday morning and burial was at the Olena Cemetery.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Mr. and Mrs. Harry Foster of Eureka visited his father, John Foster, who lives north of town. Mrs. John Dixon is quite ill and Dr. McClenen of Kirkwood was called. The teachers institute will be held here on Aug. 22 to 26th. Mr. Joe Mitchner and family moved from the John Fagan rooms into their new home recently finished. A Gibb picnic was held at Crapo Park, the families of Francis, John and Dave Gibb, Mrs. Elizabeth Sterrett, James Wilson and Mrs. Ellen Gibb and Mrs. Paul Gibb were present. Faye Booth of Red Oak, Iowa visited at the home of his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Graham. A dinner was held at the home of Mrs. Clyde Campbell, a company of 100 persons being present; Mrs. Campbell and children expect to leave soon for California to make their home.