The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, June 16, 1921 

PENALTY FOR KEEPING WEDDING SECRET: Last Thursday evening the Tuesday Evening Club of this community imposed upon a newly wedded couple belonging to their ranks a penalty which it had been decreed they deserved for failing to disclose the fact of their marriage at a social gathering of the club held after the ceremony had been performed and from which gathering the couple had stolen away unnoticed to start on their wedding journey.

Along about the twilight hour, the attention of the people of the village was drawn to a Ford truck which was being driven through the streets and on which was a big wire enclosed cage containing the two offenders. A miniature "wash" was also displayed on a line stretched across the truck while a large farm bell suspended between two uprights fastened to the vehicle proclaimed in brazen tones the fact that the hour of retribution had come for the transgressors. Following the Ford truck came a larger one containing the members of the social club all standing up tooting horns, waving flags, shouting and gesticulating in various ways to call attention to the main exhibit carried by the first vehicle.

As the prisoners stood within the cage with clasped hands and silently submitted to the plebeian gaze of the populace, fortitude and resignation seemed written on their countenances. It required, however, only a slight effort of the imagination on the part of the observer to be able to read in the glances which the pair bestowed upon each other, the thought: "Let them do their worst, we still have each other."

It is stated that Dale Davis put up quite a fight before he was safely landed in the cage, and that he only became tractable after a pair of hand cuffs had been brought into requisition.

After the parade through the village streets the procession proceeded to the country home of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Lynch southeast of Stronghurst when the prisoners were freed and where they became participants in a merry social gathering.

GRADUATED FROM MONMOUTH: Miss Evelyn Fort graduated from the Conservatory of Music department of the college. She has become very proficient in the musical art and while pursing her regular course in college found time for the exercises of her talent in much outside works having acted as organist at the 2nd U.P. Church of Monmouth and also for a special Glee Club. She has been engaged to take a position as instructor in the Monmouth College Conservatory next year to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Miss Marie Kettering. Miss Fort also expects to take a summer course in music at the Northwestern University in Chicago.

***OBITUARY***C. A. FLOYD: Friends in this vicinity of Chas. A. Floyd, the cattle man who several years ago made his headquarters in Stronghurst, Il. will be sorry to learn that he passed away about a month ago from an attack of heart trouble while on a train near Sterling, Colo. He was on his way from Denver, Colo. to Edgemore, Okla. and was feeling fine when he started on the journey. The attack of heart trouble came on suddenly when the train was near Sterling and death resulted in a few minutes.

THE DOG CAME BACK: Something like a year ago, the Robert Moir family of Burlington lost a pet dog. Advertisements offering reward for the recovery of the dog were inserted in many newspapers including the Graphic. A Chicago detective was also employed on the case, but the search proved fruitless and was finally abandoned. A few days ago the little canine returned to the Moir home apparently of its own accord and the secret of its whereabouts during the past year will probably go down in history as one of Burlington's mysteries.

***OBITUARY***MRS. SARAH KELLEY TALLIFERRO: Mrs. Sarah Kelley Talliferro of Roseville died at Monmouth Hospital on June 12th from the effects of a fractured hip received about May 1st. The parent of Mrs. Talliferro, Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Kelley, were amongst the first settlers of the village of Raritan and her early life was spent there where she was very active in community and church life. At the 50th anniversary jubilee of the Raritan Reformed Church, held about 20 years ago, Mrs. Talliferro and her daughter, Mrs. Myrtle Dixson, sang a section in which was recounted some of the incidents connected with the early history of the church. After her marriage to Dr. Talliferro and removal to Roseville, she continued to be active in social and church affairs.

***OBITUARY***MISS JANE GALBRAITH: Miss Jane Galbraith passed away at the home of her sister, Mrs. John Reynolds of Monmouth June 11th. Miss Galbraith was born March 1, 1850 near Gladstone, Ill. and had been a resident of that and Smithshire vicinity practically all of her life, only moving to Monmouth a short time ago.

She was the aunt of Miss Jennie Galbraith and Mrs. Claire White of this place, who have both been at her bedside and assisted in caring for her in her last sickness. Funeral services were held from the home and burial was in the Kirkwood Cemetery.

IT BURNED UP! Last Sunday evening while Frank Bowen and wife were returning from Media in their car, a five passenger Overland; the machine caught fire, supposedly from back firing, about one half mile east of Stronghurst and there being no means at hand for subduing the flames, all of the car excepting the parts made of iron was quickly consumed.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Mrs J.H. Voorhees has been suffering a severe attack of pleurisy. Mr. and Mrs. Sam Claybaugh are the parents of a young son born June 11th. Mrs. Laura Knisely of Biggsville, a former Stronghurst resident, celebrated her 60th birthday being visited by a company of relatives who brought with them a sumptuous dinner. Mrs. Flo Tillotson and son Connie accompanied by Mr. Chas. Deal came down from Moline, Ill. by auto; they are visiting old friends and neighbors. The doctor started with them but was taken ill on the road and was obliged to abandon the trip at Aledo. The name of the station on the club grounds between Gladstone and Burlington has been changed from "Crystal Lake" to "Lakeside:" on account of there being another station in this state named Crystal Lake. Rumors say that the erection of an elevator and freight station at that place is being considered.

Clyde Garner, who was one of the graduates of the high school this year left for St. John's, Mich. where he expects to spend the summer with J.H. Miner and family and then enter the Michigan Agricultural College next fall. J. H. Voorhees shipped over 200 spring lambs to Chicago. Miss Mary Dixson has a large class of piano pupils who began their instructions this week. Miss Christie Worley of Blandinsville School won the highest honors in the county in the eighth grade central examination in writing. Miss Hazel Dodds is staying at Blandinsville assisting in caring for her grandmother, Mrs. Mathew Huston; the latter has recovered her speech and hopes soon to be able to move about. Miss Ruth McMillan has been engaged as playground instructor for the children of the community this season. (The playground in the park was new and town fathers thought children needed instruction by age group on how to use the apparatus.) Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Butler have moved to their farm south of town for the summer in hopes that the change will prove beneficial to Mr. Butler's health.

A special train carrying Shriners to Des Moines for the national convention ran down Mr. Jake Wever, a Kirkwood resident, and killed him instantly as he was walking on the right of way between Monmouth and Kirkwood. Joseph Houlton, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Houlton of Jackson Corners in Warren County is said to be in a critical condition as the result of swallowing a dose of bi-chloride of mercury while staying at the Y.M.C.A. rooms in Monmouth; the drug was declared to have been purchased for use on an in-growing toe nail. C.E. Peasley accompanied a shipment of five loads of cattle to Chicago consigned by his sons John and Joe. Mr. L. D. Lynch was best man and his wife matron of honor at the marriage of Miss Nelle Jayne on Monmouth on June 8th. The Thomas Howell family moved their household goods from Oquawka to Media where he has a position with the Media State Bank. Nelse Ingerson, a former resident of Hoppers' Mills and later of Smithshire and Dallas City died from cancer of the stomach at his home with the Bennington Bros. in Dallas City.

The work of interior and exterior decoration of the Stronghurst M. E. Church has been completed and the regular services will be held in the edifice again beginning next Sunday. John Salter has returned from Galesburg where he has been receiving special medical treatment; his recovery is, however, not sufficiently advanced to allow him to resume his duties as rural mail carrier on route 1. Mr. and Mrs. R. A. McKeown and Mr. and Mrs. John Marshall entertained the south country club at the home of the former; 65 were present. Messers. Peterson and Emmons of the Danville ranch near Oakland, Calif. have been purchasing Hereford Cattle from members of the Hereford Cattle Association. Three carloads in all will be shipped accompany by Frank Murphy, veteran livestock chaperone.