The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, May 26, 1921 

KILLED NEAR MEDIA: A Mexican laborer by the name of C. Flavio Huereca met death at about 6 o'clock last Sunday morning at the east end of the big Santa Fe railway bridge near Media when the axle of a flat car loaded with iron on which he and a companion were riding broke and derailed the car. Both men attempted to leap to an adjacent car when the one on which they were riding began to sway. Huereca's companion was successful, but Huereca fell between the cars and was ground to death beneath the wheels, an arm and leg being severed and other terrible wounds inflicted. The body was pinned beneath the derailed car for several hours before the wrecker arrived and removed the car. The county coroner was notified and in inquest held, a verdict was rendered in accordance with the facts.

The remains of the unfortunate man were taken charge of by undertaker Regan and prepared for interment. It was learned from the dead man's companion that Huereca was a singe man, 26 years of age and had a sister and brother living at Durango, Mexico. The two men had been in the Eastern states and were attempting to get back to Mexico by stealing rides on trains. The remains of the dead man were kept at the Regan undertaking rooms until Tuesday afternoon when in the absence of any word or instructions from relatives or friends, they were interred in the cemetery here.

The remains were enclosed in an air tight metal casket and the relatives of the dead man notified that if they desired the body forwarded to Mexico, it would be exhumed and their instructions carried out. From papers found on his person and also from what could be learned from his companion, the victim was evidently a man of some education and the member of a well-to-do family.

1896 GRAPHIC: A contract for instituting long distance service through the medium of the Bell Telephone System was signed by Henderson County Telephone Co. At the 5th annual commencement of the Stronghurst High School the following were graduates: Hattie Thompson, Izetia Carothers, Maude Allison, Sadie Bowen, Burnham Fort, Ed Fort, Jr., Fred McKinley and Willie Annegers. A cyclone which swept over St. Louis on May 27th took a toll of almost 1,000 lives and caused property damage running into the millions.

The strawberry crop of the country was so abundant that Michigan berries were selling on the Chicago market at 50 cents per crate. A horse race pulled off at the Santa Fe Driving Park saw Dr. E. W. Salter's running horse, Willow Bark matched against Campbell and McLaughlin's horse, Mercury, which was brought here from Kansas City. The Salter entry won the race and a lot of money for some of the local sports.

HONEYMOON IN HENDERSON COUNTY: Roland Davidson and bride arrived in Stronghurst the latter part of last week from Niagara Falls, N.Y. where they were married on May 18th. The happy couple are guests at the home of the gentleman's parents, Mr. and Mrs. F. M. Davidson and they have been busy since their arrival receiving the congratulations of "Davy's" many friends and former associates.

The lady whom Mr. Davidson has brought on a honeymoon trip to his native state and community was formerly Miss Edith C. Channing of Niagara Falls, N.Y. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer C. Channing of that city and is directly descended from William Ellery, one of the signers of the American Declaration of Independence. The marriage ceremony which united her destinies with Mr. Davidson took place at the home of her parents on the evening of May 18th. "Davy" is one of Stronghurst's young men who is making good in the business world. He has for the past few years been engaged in work for a well known chemical research firm of Boston, Mass. and is at the present engaged by the American Proteid Co. of Buffalo, N.Y. which has a plant with the Jacob Dold Packing Co. of the same city. At the conclusion of their honeymoon tour, Mr. and Mrs. Davidson will be at home at Buffalo, N.Y.

"OBITUARY" CHARLES A. LANT: Charles A. Lant, the eldest son of George and Sarah Gibson Lant, was born on the old homestead east of Olena, Ill. Oct. 2, 1850, and passed away at his home 3 miles north of Stronghurst on May 18, 1921, aged 70 years, 7 months and 16 days. He was united in marriage to Miss Jessie L. Burrell, Feb. 21, 1878. To this union eight children were born, three of whom proceeded their father in death. He leaves to mourn his departure his beloved wife, five children, six grandchildren and five brothers and many other relatives and friends. His children are Mrs. Ruth Browning, Nellie and Margaret at home, Ross of Burlington, Ia., and Paul of Flint, Mich., all of whom were at his bedside when the end came except Paul who arrived for the funeral. The deceased grew to young manhood on the old home place east of Olena, making this his permanent home with the exception of four yours. On May 11 he took a severe cold which soon developed into pneumonia and although all that medical skill and loving hands could do to stay the disease and relieve his suffering, the end came the evening on May 18, 1921. Early in life he became a member of the Olena United Presbyterian Church later transferring his membership to Stronghurst and was a faithful member of this organization throughout his life. He was a man of sterling upright character and will be greatly missed in the home, the church and community. To have known him leads us to believe that while earth's sun was setting for him, it was rising "over yonder."

Funeral services were held in the Olena M.E. Church conducted by Rev. Anderson of Stronghurst, Ill. ably assisted by Rev. Sailor of Biggsville. A special choir of the Stronghurst singers composed of John McElhinney, Douglas Prescott, Miss Alice Wax and Mrs. McAndrews with Miss Worley at the organ rendered comforting music. Pall bearers, all relatives, were Messrs. Herman, Irving and Bert Burrell, S. C. Lant, Edwin and Frank Lant. George Lant of Laurel, Iowa was called by the passing away of Mr. Lant and will remain for a short visit with relatives.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: Mr. Roscoe Detrick and family have moved up near Media and Mrs. Allen will soon move to her property vacated by them. Oscar White is shipping fat cattle and several are delivering fat hogs to Stronghurst for shipment. H. S. Lant and family of Oquawka are moving back to the farm. J. L. Fort's condition is not improving. Miss Golda Booten is enjoying better health and was able to attend church services on the Sabbath.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Mrs. Grace Kimble purchased a double tub electric washer from Don Lee of Biggsville. John LaVelle of Arcadia, Kan. visited home folks for the first time in five years. A large crowd from the surrounding country was down to the big bridge Sabbath morning to see the wreck; there being nearly one hundred autos at one time. Thomas Howell motored to Oquawka to attend his daughter's high school commencement. Only a fair crowd attended the play given at the Academy by the Raritan home talent.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: People are anxiously awaiting the oiling of the streets then the housewives can finish the house cleaning. Four members of the Community Club had a good sale of pop corn balls that were peddled through the town; the money will benefit the flower sale held in the fall. Orval Boyd and Miss Wheeling of Stronghurst spent last Sabbath at the home of Mrs. Robt. Boyd.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Miss Maree Larson was the victim of a slight attack of ptomaine poisoning and was unable to attend her duties in the school room. While stooping over to lace his shoe, Sol. Kessinger had the misfortune to throw his hip joint out of place. The dislocation was reduced by a physician and complications resulting from the injury have developed which have kept Mr. Kessinger confined to his bed for several days. Jacob Kershaw of Somerville, N.J. while returning from a business trip to Quincy, Ill. stopped to see his brother A. H. Kershaw and family. Mrs. Joe Wilcox has been serious ill from pneumonia for some days. Elmer Churchill of Raritan was the victim of a painful accident. He had been using an army truck which Raritan Township recently secured from the government for road work and had poured gasoline over his hands to remove some grease when a slight explosion of the truck threw some fire on his hands and ignited the gasoline, burning his hands quite severely. W.H. McQuiston, pioneer business man of Monmouth, died at his home in that city May 21st at the age of 85 years, 5 months and 13 days. Benj. Hardisty of Blandinsville took home from Stronghurst a fine Hudson Speedster car purchased through the P. W. Wallin agency.