The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, Jan 27, 1921 

NEW HOTEL OPENED: Stronghurst's new hotel was formally opened, the occasion being marked by a banquet served in the finely appointed dining room of the hostelry and participated in by nearly 250 guests. Invitation cards containing printed menu which included roast turkey with all the accessories and trimmings had been distributed by the management and the response was so generous that the problem of taking care of the crowd was one which taxed the facilities of the new inn to the limit.

The problem was met, however, in a manner which gives assurance that all demands which are likely to be made by the general public in the future will be adequately met. The guests included not only a large number from Stronghurst and vicinity but many from nearby villages and cities, including Burlington, Iowa.

The dining room of the hotel affords facilities for feeding about 50 people at one time and was filled with diners from 5:30 p.m. to about 8:30 p.m. A special orchestra from the Baby Vamp Musical Comedy Co. furnished music for the guests during the afternoon and early evening. The company also gave a show at the Lyric in the evening and the banquet guests were furnished with a free admission ticket with each dinner ticket purchased.

A prize of $10 ($118.90 in today's value) had been offered for the most appropriate name suggested for the new hotel and out of something over 100 names proposed; the committee appointed for that purpose selected the name "Nuvon." This combination of letters constitutes a phonetic spelling of the words New Vaughan and was the suggestion of Mr. Paul Salter, who was awarded the prize.

The new hotel fills a long felt want in the village and Mr. Vaughan deserves great credit for the spirit of enterprise and faith in the future which he has shown in putting the project through, especially during a period in which the exceedingly high cost of everything connected with building has practically caused a suspension of all kinds of construction.

The hotel, which is on the west side of Broadway in the center of the block between Main and Nichols Streets, has a frontage of 26 feet on Broadway and a depth of 80 feet. It is a full two-story structure with basement. It is steam heated and electric lighted throughout with hot and cold running water, toilets, baths and other accessories demanded by the modern traveling public.

The first floor is occupied by the Caf, dining room, wash rooms and kitchen. The dining room is especially attractive and inviting having long panel mirrors set in the walls, the latter being finished in a rich mahogany color half way to the ceiling while the upper half of the walls and the ceiling are finished in light tints. The tables are topped with white enamel and there is about the whole room an atmosphere calculated to enhance the pleasure of dining. The kitchen is equipped with the latest appliance for the preparation cooking and serving of food and especial attention will be given by the management to the cuisine of the establishment and to the table service.

The second story of the building contains a reception hall and parlor, 12 nicely furnished bedrooms, 2 baths rooms, linen rooms, closets, etc. all arranged with the idea of the comfort and convenience of the guests in view. While there yet remains some finishing work to be done on the rooms, reservations are already being sought by the traveling public and indications are that the patronage will from the very start be limited only by the extent of the accommodations which it provides.

NEW QUARTERS: The Stronghurst Telephone Company's central office is now located on the second floor of the First National Bank building. The change in what Manager Rehling declares was made in record breaking time. Service was suspended at noon on Sunday when the switchboard was disconnected at the old office. The work of removal and re-installment in the new office was then taken up so rapidly by the force of six experts who had been brought here assisted by the local force and the operation was ready to handle emergency calls by nine o'clock that evening.

NEIGHBORHOOD NOTES: Mike Gallagher, a farmer living near Monmouth, bought some cattle to feed last spring. After keeping them on pasture for some time he started feeding them corn and after they had consumed about 75 bushels a piece, he shipped them to Chicago and received between $220-$300 less for them than he gave in the spring.

The Snowden Bros. of Indianapolis, Ind. who had extensive holdings in the Plymouth-Colmar oil fields in McDonough County, have sold out to the Ohio Oil Co. and it is reported that the latter named company intends to put down some deep test wells in the Plymouth field.

John H. Ross, an aged and highly respected citizen of the Smithshire neighborhood, died at this home on Jan. 21 at the age of 88 years. "Wick" Crenshaw of Warsaw, Ill., who was convicted recently of the murder of Bert Langford on the Carthage fairgrounds last fall and who was sentenced to the state penitentiary for a term of 14 years, has filed an appeal in the State Supreme Court and pending the disposition of the case, will be released from the Carthage jail if bail to the amount of $10,000 ($118,900 in today's value) can be furnished.

The Grove garage at Dallas City was destroyed by fire early Wednesday morning of last week. The building was in close proximity to the Riverside Hotel and the latter structure was badly scorched before the firemen succeeded in subduing the flames. Four autos which were in the garage and all the tools, tires, repairs and other contents of the building were ruined by the fire.

The Strickfus Line's big new Steamer Capitol which was put in commission last summer and the steamer Sidney, which is being rebuilt and enlarge at New Orleans, and which will be re-christened "The New Sidney,"' will both be assigned to the upper Mississippi this summer. This looks as though the Stickfus people are optimistic regarding the river excursion business during the coming year.
The business section of the village of Danville, thirteen miles west of Burlington, Iowa, was practically wiped out by a fire which occurred last Monday night.

OFFERED ROADMASTER POSITION: Mr. T. E. Walker, section foreman here for the Santa Fe has been tendered the position of Roadmaster of the territory from Chillicothe, Ill to Fort Madison, Ia.. He held this position for about 11 months a year or so ago and when he was sent back here to take charge of the local section, it was with the understanding that as soon as the system of promotions in operations would allow, he would again be given charge of a division.

Since coming to Stronghurst the second time, however, Mr. and Mrs. Walker have decided that the place offers attractions as a place of residence sufficient to offset that of the increase of salary which the roadmaster's job offers. In conversation, Mr. Walker said that he would probably turn down the offer of the bigger job with better pay. While Stronghurst friends will be glad to know that they will remain here, they will be sorry that Ed could not get the substantial increase in pay the pro-offered position pays.

DOUBLE WEDDING AT BURLINGTON: On Jan. 21st Herbert Barnett of Stronghurst and Miss Isabelle Oaks of near Kirkwood and Louis Dixon and Miss Ines Dye, both of Biggsville, Ill. were united in marriage at Burlington, Ia. at the parsonage of the First Congregational Church. The ring service was used in the double wedding ceremony. Only the necessary witnesses were present and following the ceremony the happy couples repaired to the Hotel Burlington for a wedding supper after which they returned to their Henderson County homes. Mr. and Mrs. Barnett are now at home to their friends on the Barnett farm 3 miles north of Stronghurst which the groom has operated for the past two years.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: The Martha Society of the Lutheran church served lunch at the Frank Johnson sale and netted about $50.00. Mr. and Mrs. Cliff Kessinger recently moved to the Henry Adair farm south of Stronghurst where Mr. Kessinger will work during the coming season. Reports from Michigan are that this is an unusual season for the maple syrup industry. The maple sap is said to be already running freely and Otto Steffy has several hundred trees which are producing. At the annual meeting of the Media Farmers Grain Co., R. N. Marshall, Jake Livermore and Paul VanArsdale were elected directors for a three year term. A 7% dividend was declared by the board of directors. Frank Butler, son of Mr. and Mrs. Hezekiah Butler, is recovering from pneumonia in Los Angles, Calif. Correction: Kendall Tillotson's new dental office is in the Stevens Building on State Street in Chicago.

(Long list of those attending the funeral of Mrs. Elizabeth McMillan in this issue.)

1896 GRAPHIC: Robert Adair, the 19 year old son of William Adair, met his death on Jan. 25th through the accidental discharge of a shot gun, the charge of shot entering his breast just below the collar bone. The accident occurred while the young man was hunting rabbits in a field near the Frank Graham place 4 miles north of Stronghurst. No one was with the young man at the time and the body was discovered shortly afterward by Frank Gibb who was passing along the road near the spot where the accident occurred.

Bob O'Connor, a Stronghurst youth who had but recently served a term in the State Reform School, was arraigned before Squire Morgan on the charge of stealing lap robes and other articles from J. H. Tadlock and Chas. O'Gren. He pled guilty to the charge and was sentenced to the county jail.

Miss Cora Peasley was attending school at Valparaiso, Ind. Will Allison has taken a position as assistant at the State Bank of Henderson County in Stronghurst. Though the month of January had almost passed, no ice had yet been harvested in this locality (everyone had icebox and depended on the delivery of ice-the icebox predated refrigerators).

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: The Holstadt family moved into the Bowen house in the east part of town. Mr. and Mrs. Sol Kessinger have disposed of their farm in Missouri and purchased the old Stevenson property in the west part of town from Joe Wilcox. Judge J. W. Gordon of Oquawka is said to be seriously considering entering the race for the nomination for circuit judge for the 9th judicial district.

Dr. John Highfield went to Chicago to receive special treatment for his hand, which has been badly infected for some time.

Wm. Turner was here from Missouri to arrange for a horse and mule sale which he will hold at the Hereford sale pavilion next Thursday.

Gear Putney fell down several flights of stairs in an apartment house in Kansas City and fractured an arm and the bones of his nose. W.J. McElhinney, who is in the Augustana Hospital in Chicago, underwent an operation for bowel obstruction; reports are that he is recovering nicely.

R. M. Cassell, widely known Poland-China hog breeder of La Harpe, held a dispersion sale and will retire from the business. The 99 head composing the herd sold for $5,027.50.

The ice in the Mississippi River at Oquawka went out last Friday and some believe it will not freeze over again this winter. The ice man may have his inning yet before the March winds blow.

A break in one of the oil pipe lines along the Santa Fe right of way near the old Tulin Nelson place east of town resulted in the loss of a large quantity of the black fluid.

A dam was thrown across a ditch down which the oil was flowing and a large pool was soon formed. This was set on fire and the huge volume of black smoke which arose attracted the attention of people from miles around.

A. E. Jones went to the Burlington hospital for an operation on the bones of his nose to relieve difficulty in breathing.

Mrs. James Bowen sold her residence in the east part of town to her son Ed and has gone to Aledo, Ill. to make her home with her daughter, Miss Nellie. G. W. Worley left for a few weeks of rest and recuperation at Hot Springs, Ark. Mrs. Worley is helping with the work at the drugstore.

Miss Annis Drew, who is employed as a teacher in a business college in Peoria attended the funeral of Mrs. Elizabeth McMillan and remained here for a visit being the guest of Miss Hortense Harbinson.

The ladies of the U.P. church will hold a tea in the church basement Friday afternoon. Those serving are Mrs. Knutstrom, Mrs. Ralph Rankin, Mrs. A. C. Allison, Mrs. F.E. Yaley, Mrs. Begley, Mrs. Elbridge Fort and Miss Emma Marshall.

OBITUARY-VERNON LONG: Vernon G. Long, son of Joseph and Mabel Long, was born in Stronghurst, Ill. July 19, 1898. He passed away at the National Sanitarium in Johnson City, Tenn. Jan. 18, 1921, aged 22 years, 5 months, and 29 days. The deceased enlisted in the U.S Navy in Jan. 1917 and did service on the battleship Texas. He was discharged from service Oct. 25, 1918.

While in the service of his country he contracted tuberculosis which was the cause of his death. He was under medical treatment several months in a hospital at Portsmouth, N.H., later in a hospital in Chicago and from there was sent to the National Sanitarium at Johnson City, Tenn.

He was joined in the holy bonds of wedlock to Miss Cora Kimmett on Jan. 23rd, 1919. To this union one son, Vernon, Jr. was born 11 months ago, who with the bereaved young wife, his father, mother, grandparents, brothers and sisters and many other relatives and friends are left to mourn his untimely passing away.

In early young manhood he had accepted Christ as his savior and untied with the Christian Church in Burlington, Ia. After enlisting, he transferred his membership to the Christian Church in Portsmouth, N.H.

Funeral services were held in the Olena Methodist Church Jan. 22 conducted by Rev. D.K. Sailor. A choir with Harvey Lant at the organ offered comforting music; also a solo which fitted the occasion very nicely was sung by the pastor.

The funeral escort was composed of former sailor boys from Stronghurst in full uniform. At the Olena cemetery the interment service was read by the pastor while the comrades stood at attention. Far away the notes of a bugle blown by one of the squad could be sounding "taps." The pastor pronounced a benediction and the sorrowing party had paid their final tribute.

The members of the funeral escort were Ernest Putney, Clarence Hartquist, Max Sanderson, Charles Fisher, Orville Boyd, James Marshall and Ernest Mudd as bugler.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: Mrs. Braun of Oquawka, County Chairman of the Red Cross, attended the funeral of Vernon Long and had Rev. Sailor announce that the deceased was drawing full compensation from the government for himself, wife and child from the date of his discharge.

Rev. Sailor was accompanied to his Olena charge Sabbath afternoon by the noted Jewish evangelist, Dr. W. C. Sensibaugh and Harlin J. Roper, director of song. Dr. Sensibaugh delivered an intensely interesting and tender sermon and gave the audience many interesting facts regarding the Hebrew nation. As he said, he laid bare his early life-telling how for his new found faith in Christ he was twice thrust from his father's door, disinherited and turned down a vast fortune from an uncle. . .

Dr. Sensibaugh and Mr. Roper begin a 3 week evangelistic meeting in Biggsville.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Miss Hazel Ellison is ill with tonsillitis. Mrs. Nancy Sterritt from near Fullerton, Nebraska visited her mother,

Mrs. W .J. Graham. Mrs. Elmer Pence and Mrs. Glen Tribler entertained the M.E. Ladies Aid at the Pence home.

An express package was stolen from the depot; the agent sent for detectives and T.M. Mowry and C. G. McElroy, acting for the Express Co., discovered that the package had been taken by two sixteen year old boys here.

The boys' parents have made a deposit covering possible claims for loss so the boys will not be prosecuted.