The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Stronghurst Graphic, Nov. 25, 1920
VOTE ON FARM BUREAU LOCATION: At a meeting of the executive committee of the Henderson County Farm Bureau various township chairmen voted that each member be given an opportunity to vote on the location of the central office for the next three years. Stronghurst and Biggsville are the only towns asking to have the office and referendum vote cards have been mailed to every member with the names of these town printed on them. Cards are to be back by Dec. 4th. .
***OBITUARY***G. W. YALEY: Mr. Yaley who spent 20 years in the latter part of his life in the village passed away Nov. 18th? at the home of his daughter-in-law. He had been gradually declining in health. Mr. Yaley was born July 20, 1835 in Lancaster, Ohio, and was in his 86th year. He moved when a young lad with his mother and sister to Des Moines County, Iowa, where the family settled on a farm about 8 miles south of town. Later he moved to a 160 acre farm at West Burlington near where the R.R. shops are now located. Still later Mr. Yaley engaged in the livery business in Burlington
He married on May 19, 1863 Miss Sarah J. Harris of Burlington. In 1879 Mr. Yaley moved with his family to Kansas where they lived for 11 years returning in 1890 to Henderson County, Ill. and locating on the Mellinger farm, 2 miles east of Burlington.
In 1892 Mr. Yaley purchased the McCue farm near East Burlington which he operated for 7 years and which he traded for the Davidson farm north of Stronghurst now occupied by O. W. Rankin. He did not make his home on that farm but came to Stronghurst where he purchased a seven acre tract in the north part of the village and where he built the home where he and Mrs. Yaley lived until the death of the latter in June 1913. During the last two years he has made his home part of the time here and part of the time in Burlington.
Mr. and Mrs. Yaley were the parents of six children, four of whom are deceased, namely, George, who died in infancy; Horace and Frank who were well known Burlington citizens and Mrs. Etta L. Tifft, who at one time was a resident of this vicinity.
The surviving children are Mrs. Ida Mellenger of Boise, Ida. and A. C. Yaley of Media Township. Funeral services were held at the home of his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Laura Yaley, 521 Maple St., Burlington, Iowa with interment in Aspen Grove Cemetery.
GENEROUS ACT: On account of the waning of the horse rising industry in these parts, the Henderson County Horse Show Association under the suggestion of its treasurer, C. E. Fort, has donated the remaining balance of $79 in their treasury to the Stronghurst Women's Club to further their work.
THANKSGIVING DAY OBSERVANCES: Thanksgiving Day in Stronghurst will be observed by a general suspension of business and by the usual number of public and private function of a religious and social nature.
A union service will be held in the morning at the Swedish Lutheran Church and in the afternoon at 2 p.m. the local high school team will take on the Warsaw boys in a gridiron contest on Sanderson's field.
No public dinners or entertainments have been announced aside from the picture show at the Lyric in the evening.
GLADIOLUS BULB FARM: Perhaps comparatively few people know that on a farm near Keithsburg, Ill. this year there were grown something like 120,000 gladiolus bulbs. Wm. Phelps raised these bulbs on a few acres of sandy soil and considers his experiment a success.
He sold his entire crop to one small order house and raised the considerable amount of fruit and vegetables as a side-line. As Henderson County contains many acres of land similar to that owned by Mr. Phelps, the raising of flower bulbs might be made one of the county's profitable industries.
FASHION UPDATE: Furs of the coming season will be more luxurious than ever before.
Especially costly and attractive are the new coats which feature a strikingly extraordinary large collar. One of the smartest coats shows a deep shawl collar and panels in front and back, which are drawn together and held in place at the sides by means of cords and tassels of fur.
Many show linings almost as gorgeous as their exteriors. Made of costly satin and brocades the linings are trimmed with elaborate hand embroidery. Some times this is used as a border around the bottom of the coat, in others single flowers, among these pansies are favorites and are scattered over the entire lining. Many dyed furs, such as skunk and marten, are being used with seal and squirrel also very popular.
1895 GRAPHIC: Pres Edwards bought the blacksmith shop on Mary St. formerly owned by B. L. Manuel. Chas. Kirby went to Gorin, Mo. to close a deal on a 200 acre farm.
The weekly number of business failures through the country was reported to be almost as great as during the panic year of 1893.
Arrangements were being made to make the Media Exchange Bank a State Bank with W. G. Pogue, David Barry, John Dalton, Fred Ross, G.M. Garrett, Alex Rankin, R. H. Cowell, Jno. Weaver, R. L. Wray and Patrick McCleary as incorporators.
LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: The 1919 corn crop on the J. D. Lynch farm is being shelled and delivered to local dealers. The old reliable and popular Gordinier Stock Co. will put on a series of plays in the Raritan Opera House Dec. 2, 3 and 4th. A little daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Ribas at the home of the grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Graham, Nov. 17th. The annual bazaar and food sale conducted by the ladies of the Lutheran Church realized a sum of $218 ($2,323 today). The bridge near the King place north of Raritan, which has been undergoing repairs, was opened to the public again. This probably finishes the repair and reconstruction work on Honey Creek bridges washed out by the freshet last May. The Biggsville Community Club netted $236 ($2,515) from their flower show and dinner; the funds will be used to furnish the village public library. Dr. and Mrs. Harter were at Fort Madison to attend the funeral of Mr. Edward Ebinger. The Ebinger family is one of the oldest in Fort Madison and has been amongst the foremost in the up building of the city.
The little folks of the first four grades of the Stronghurst public school enjoyed a Thanksgiving feast of fried chicken, salads, cake and other good things at the school house under the supervision of their teachers, Miss Kirby and Miss Hartquist. Ray Rankin and family arrived here from Wilcox, Sask. It was decided that the condition of Ray's health made it advisable for him to spend the winter in a milder climate than that of Canada; the family may decide to locate still farther south than this. Mr. and Mrs. J. L. VanTine whose home is in Washington State and who have been visiting relatives in Oklahoma and elsewhere during the past few weeks arrived in Stronghurst enroute to Raritan where they will visit former friends of Mrs. VanTine, who before marriage was Miss Lizzie Staats. Parties in this vicinity who leased their lands last spring to the Johnson Oil Co. received their first quarter's rent. These lands were leased on an 8-month option and the payment of rent is taken by some to indicate that the proposition of drilling for oil is still under consideration.
McDonough County now has 10 farmers' elevators, the 10th being organized at Bardolph recently. Last year 762 cars of grain valued at $1,624,860 were shipped by farmers' elevators. All of the teachers of the local high school attended the teachers' conference at Urbana and some of them witnessed the closely contested football game between the Illinois and Ohio State University teams in which the latter won by a touchdown and goal made during the last few seconds of play. The football game at Carthage between the high school team of that city and the Stronghurst high school team resulted in a score of 41 to 6 in Stronghurst's favor.
***OBITUARY*** MRS. WILL GALBRAITH: Mrs. Will Galbraith died at the Burlington Hospital Friday after an illness of several weeks. She was laid to rest in the South Henderson Cemetery. Effie Drew was born in 1867 near Gladstone and was united in marriage to William Galbraith some 33 years ago. They lived in this vicinity until last March when they moved to Bowen, Ill. Mrs. Galbraith leaves to mourn her loss a husband and one daughter, Wilda at home, and one son, Robert of Bowen, Ill. Two sisters, Mrs. Bessie Bixby of California and Mrs. Mollie Wall of Jacksonville, Ill, and two brothers, Perce Drew of Kewanee and Abner Drew of Detroit, Mich. as well as two grandchildren, Dewain and Loraine, survive her. She was a member of the Eastern Star and Mystic Workers and of the M. E. Church.
BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Miss Jessie Claybaugh is again answering telephone calls at the telephone office during the night. A large number of people from here attended the funeral of Mr. Gideon Dixon at the M.E. Church at Reed. A number of friends and relatives gathered at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Stewart a night recently and gave them a surprise. The family expects to leave some time in December for California to spend the winter. At the congregational meeting at the U.P. Church Rev. Will Lormier was called to be the pastor of that congregation. Mr. and Mrs. Glen Campbell south of town are the parents of a nice baby girl that arrived at their home last Sabbath. Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Knutstrom and daughter left for Colorado to spend the winter. Clendon Welch left for Portland, Oregon where his brother Charles has a position.