The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1920 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, August 19, 1920 

PENDARVIS FARM SOLD AT RECORD PRICE: What was probably a new high mark in the price of a quarter of section of Henderson County land was reached when the southeast quarter of Section 26 in Media Township belonging to the L.A. Pendarvis estate, was sold at public auction for $62,625 or $391.40 per acre. This farm is located 3 miles southeast of Media and 4 miles east of Stronghurst and is one of the best improved and most fertile farms to be found in the Illinois Corn Belt.

The purchaser was Robt. M. Thompson, who is the owner of several other tracts of land in the same neighborhood and who is therefore in a position to understand the real value of the property. The sale was conducted by auctioneers Fred Gray and A. S. McElhinney of Stronghurst.

PICNIC IN THE PARK: The members of the U.P. Sabbath School drove to Crapo Park on Friday and spent a very pleasant day. The weather was ideal and the splendid equipment at the park furnished entertainment for young and old. A ball game was played by the men and some thrilling scores made.

At noon the contents of well filled lunch baskets consisting of fried chicken and all of the good things which go with it were spread on the tables with which the park provides. The feast was finished off with ice cream and a variety of cakes; this was, of course, the main feature of the event. There were something over one hundred present and all alike commended the superintendent and her helpers on the cusses of the occasion.

TOP HOG: Good-Enuff Pathfinder, the fine Duroc boar owned by Del Dixson and C. W. Walker of Stronghurst won the grand honors at the Galesburg District Fair taking first prize in the class entered and also the grand champion prize over all exhibits of boars in the show.

Messrs Dixson and Walker naturally are highly gratified over the showing made by their entry and they are making arrangements to show him at the coming Illinois State Fair and also at the Iowa State Fair.

WEDDING BELLS-EVAN & ROLLINS: Friends at Stronghurst have received the announcement of the marriage of Miss Margaret L. Rollins of Omaha, Nebr. to Mr. Marion L. Evans of Stronghurst on Aug. 14th at the M.E. parsonage at Galesburg. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Rollins of Omaha and has many friends at that place. After a honeymoon trip to Glacier Park, Mont. the Evans will be at home at "Fairview Farm" west of Stronghurst.

KENNETT-MUDD: The marriage of Miss Juinata Mudd to Mr. Carl Kennett of Blandinsvillle Thursday evening was a surprise to her acquaintances. Because of her remarkably happy disposition, Miss Juinata has made an unusual number of friends among the young people of this vicinity who will be glad to know that she will still be near as she expects to make her home in the future near Blandinsville. Mr. Kennett is a young man of excellent character and well worthy of his young bride.

HIT BY A TRAIN: Camp Point, Ill., Aug. 14-Mrs. Gordon Mealiff of near Mendon and her four children, the eldest seven years old, were almost instantly killed near here this afternoon when the automobile in which they were riding with Mr. Mealiff was struck by the Burlington passenger train which leaves Quincy for Chicago at 4:30. Mr. Mealiff, who had badly injured was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Macomb where hope for his recovery was held late tonight.

The children are Maxine, aged 7; Floyd, 6; Foster, 3; and Benjamin, 1. The mother was hurled more than 100 feet from the track and her body landed on a barbed wire fence. The body was decapitated and terribly mangled. The bodies of the children, while not so badly mangled as that of the mother; apparently, they had every bone crushed.

Mealiff was conscious when picked up and blamed the thick dust for the accident, declaring that he could not see the approaching train. "I think every bone in my body is broken," he groaned as he lapsed into unconsciousness. Mr. Mealiff is a nephew of Mrs. George Chant of Stronghurst. Mr. Geo. Chant, son Lloyd, and daughters Mrs. Ruth Wilson and Mrs. Ethel Doty of Dallas City attended the funeral at Mendon, Ill.

OBITUARY: MERLE FERGUS: Merle R. Fergus, one of Bussey's most prosperous young farmers, passed away at Oskaloosa Sunday morning after an operation the previous evening for appendicitis at Abbott's hospital. Merle had been sick for nearly two weeks but his ailment was not diagnosed as appendicitis until late in the week and on Saturday morning he was rushed to the hospital but it was too late for medical skill to help him. Merle has an industrious young man and held the respect of the entire community and his untimely death came as a shock to all.

Merle R. Fergus, the only son of Mr. and Mrs. James Quince Fergus, was born June 29, 1897 in Marion County, Iowa near Bussey and grew to manhood in that place. The father passed away when Merle was only seven years of age.

He united in marriage with Miss Bernice Tucker, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B.L. Tucker of Stronghurst, Ill., Feb. 12, 1919 and to this union one daughter was born. He departed this life at Abbott's Hospital, Oskaloosa, Iowa, Aug. 1, 1920 at the age of 23 years, 1 month and 2 days. Those left to mourn his departure are his wife and little seven months old daughter, Pauline, his mother and grandmother, a host of other relatives and an entire community.

STOLE THE MELONS: Last Friday evening Wm Fliege of Oquawka left a truck load of muskmelons which he expected to drive to market on the following day in his yard. On going out early Saturday morning he found that some one had driven up in the night and carried off the entire load.

On Saturday Clarence Knox of Oquawka was arrested at Burlington he having been traced to Monmouth with the melons which he disposed of there. Knox was placed under arrest by the Burlington police and taken back to Oquawka by Sheriff McDill of Henderson County and lodged in the county jail. But that was not all of it. The back door of the jail was not locked which young Knox learned and proceeded at once to make good his escape. Authorities are again searching for the man.

1895 GRAPHIC: Miss Bertha Apt, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Apt, married John Fordyce of Deorra vicinity on Aug. 19th. Geo. Chandler had finished a 150 foot well at a cost of $450. The water rose 100 feet but sunk until the well had only 30 feet of water and was abandoned as a failure. Harry Putney, Lute Adams and Charley and Lee Campbell left for Arkansas in a covered wagon. J. E. Hummer of Bushnell opened a photo gallery in town with W. Montgomery in charge. Joseph Thompson purchased the Brelsford residence on Main Street. Miss Maud Allison and Thomas Nichols of Stronghurst had gone to Columbus, Ohio to attend the big meeting of the young people's society of the U. P. Church. Dr. and Mrs. Harter and sons, Virgil and Waldo, left for Boston. They joined a party from Burlington in a special car to Chicago thence to Niagara Falls. The trip included the journey by water down the St. Lawrence among the Thousand Islands and a railroad ride through the White Mountains down to Boston. Peter Groome was acting as agent for the Santa Fe here during W. H. Dean's absence. Bob McDill's "colts" scooped up the glory by defeating Monmouth with a score of 22 to 9. Ice cream sold at the Shook & J. S. Gilmore restaurants for 90 cents per gallon.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: A. E. Jones, the local grocer, is taking orders for peaches at $4.50 per bushel-delivery the first week in September. Frank Kessler of Minnesota arrived to help his mother pack her household goods preparatory to removing to Vancouver, Wash. G. V. Fort left for Wausau, Wis., where he expects to be married next Tuesday to Miss Consenella Jawort of that place. Mr. Fort has accepted a position in the chemistry department of the schools in Shenandoah, Iowa and will begin his work there in September. A son was born to Edgar and Vera Rankin at the Burlington Hospital on Aug. 13th Fort Hicks will represent Henderson County at the State Fair School for boys at Springfield. Mr. and Mrs. Ralph VanSant of Gladstone are furnishing a Children's Ward with three beds at the Burlington Hospital as a memorial to their own child, which passed away. Miss Elizabeth Bailey and sister, Mrs. Wm. Bailey, entertained a delightful three-course dinner Tuesday evening at Cortleyou Manor. The pink and green color scheme was tastefully carried out with smilax and pink asters. Covers were laid for twelve. The occasion honored Miss Margaret Rankin and Miss Marjorie Thompson who will soon leave for the West.

F.A. Liebeck of Terre Haute Township was seriously injured from falling with a load of sheaf oats which he was hauling to the threshing machine. In falling, he jumped in such a manner as to throw himself head foremost causing paralysis of the entire body. Dr. H. L. Marshall was summoned at once and all the medical skill can do is being done to make the patient comfortable. Ernest Putney went to Chicago on vacation.

Mrs. J. S. McMillan was called to Canton, Ill. by the sudden death of her mother, Mrs. Ketchem, who was thought to be making a satisfactory recovery from a recent surgical operation. Mrs. Ketchem had been a sufferer from a complication of maladies for some time and had resorted to an operation hoping to be relieved. Mrs. Fred Gray and children are visiting Fred's mother at Ashland, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Otto Steffey surprised their relatives and friends by driving in from their home in Michigan.

No mail was received at the local post office until the afternoon trains on account of a derailed train at Lorenza. Grant Miller of Terre Haute was quite seriously injured by falling while working about a threshing machine which he was helping to operate. Otalia Barr of Dallas City shot and seriously hurt her father and brother. She claims that she acted in self defense. A deal was closed between the management of the Curtis Cafˇ at the corner of Broadway and Main in which A. W. Bruce became owner of that business. Mr. and Mrs. Paul Hulet are rejoicing over a young daughter who arrived on Aug. 6th. Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Sutliff and family and Miss Jennie Galbraith attended the funeral of Mrs. Marcellus Galbraith at Gladstone Sunday. The new organ which the U.P. congregation has been expecting since early summer arrived. A boat excursion from Burlington to Oquawka Wednesday evening attracted a number of Stronghurst young people. The trip was heartily enjoyed by the 1,920 people onboard.

When S. H. Bradfield, who lives near Lomax, went to his garage Sunday, he found that his Essex sedan car had been stolen and the engines of two other autos which he owned had been damaged so that pursuit of the thief was cut off. Mrs. George Cavins of Raritan has been a patient at Monmouth Hospital for the past eight weeks where she is recovering from a very serious surgical operation. Her many friends besides remembering her in various other ways last week sent a gift of $100 to help out on the expenses. Mrs. S .J. Gilmore, who has spent some time visiting relatives and friends at Stronghurst and in and about Raritan left for Abingdon where she will spend some time with her sister, Mrs. Katherine Johnson, after which she will return to her home at Oklahoma City, Okla. One of the most pleasant events of her visit was a day spent at the old homestead, the John Nevius farm where many pleasant memories were recalled. The farm building on this place was built by her father 64 years ago, he being a carpenter. The frame of barn was hewn and fitted-not a nail being used in its construction. The rock needed in the foundation was quarried on the farm and the building today stands intact.

BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Miss Jennie Pearson left for northern Minnesota where she will enjoy a couple of weeks camping with friends. Some of the McKinley people held a family dinner at the home of Mrs. Maggie McKinley Whiteman. Those present were Mrs. Mettie Gilmore and daughters, Mrs. Mable White and children, Mrs. Luther Graham and children of Morning Sun, Iowa, Miss Lizzie McKinley and Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Kilgore and daughter Leone. An enjoyable afternoon was held at the home of A. P. McHenry when their little daughter, Dorothy, entertained 15 little people at her 10th birthday. The time was spent with games ; refreshments of home made ice cream, pink and white cake and little heart shaped cookies were served. The Cemetery ladies will serve lunch at the Home-Coming picnic Aug. 19-20. Wm. Whiteman is showing some fine hogs at Galesburg. Earl Holmes is carrying the mail on route 2 now; Mrs. Weigand quit the job.

Mr. and Mrs. Walter Rankin are the parents of a fine boy born at the Burlington Hospital. Ed Stotts expects soon to have work started on a new building for a grocery store. The building will be made of concrete blocks and will be a two story house 30 x 60 ft. According to the contract, it is to be finished by Oct. 1st. Wm. Weigand will hold his first pure bred Poland-China hog sale at his farm a little northeast of Biggsville. Dr. A. C. Douglass received a letter from his son Ralph written on shipboard and brought back by a passing steamer. The boat reached England Aug. 1st and the boat on which he was to go to Egypt direct will leave Liverpool Thursday. P. H. Weigand began sawing lumber at the new saw mill three miles west and a half mile north of town. He has been clearing timber for a site for the rendering works.

OBITUARY-MRS. MARCULLUS GALBRAITH: Mrs. Marcellus Galbraith passed away at her home near Gladstone on Aug. 12, 1920. Funeral services were held at the M. E. Church at Gladstone with the remains laid to rest in the Olena Cemetery. Minerva Elizabeth Whiteman was born near Gladstone in 1869 and was united in marriage to Marcellus Galbraith in 1894. To this union were born two daughter, Mrs. Albert Lineburg of Wever, Iowa and Frances P. at home, who with the husband mourn her departure.

MRS. MATILDA GLAD: Mrs. Matilda Glad, widow of the late Charles Glad of this place passed away in the Burlington Hospital Aug. 18th. Her death resulted form a fractured thigh which injury she sustained at the home of her son Charles near Carman. Mrs. Glad was born in Fesserum Parish in the province of Jonkoping, Sweden, Nov. 27, 1844. She immigrated to America in 1871 and arrived in Burlington, Iowa July 4th the same year. During the epidemic of cholera which broke out in that vicinity, Mrs. Glad lost her former husband and was remarried on Aug. 27, 1874 to Carl August Glad, who had lost his former wife during the same epidemic.

The family afterwards moved to Stronghurst in the vicinity of which they spent many years in farming and the last years they lived in town until the death of Mr. Glad. Mrs. Glad, as well as Mr. Glad were charter members of the Lutheran congregation here and she took an active part in church work; her pew was never found empty when the day of rest came and the Word of life was proclaimed and the few times that mother Glad's pew was empty, due to unavoidable circumstances, caused a questioning among the members whether she was sick. When a faithful church goer's pew is empty, it is always noticed.

The last time that Mrs. Glad was seen in church was at the Children's festival. She was called to her reward Wednesday evening at 8 o'clock, Aug. 18th.

She was 76 years, 8 months, and 21 days old when she passed. She is mourned by one son, Charles and wife and four grandchildren.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Mr. and Mrs. Jess Smith left on an auto trip to Wisconsin to visit relatives. Mrs. Sam Yates and daughter from Kenosha, Wis. came to visit her mother, Mrs. Nancy Ellis. Sam Duncan, who has been suffering from a bruised knee, was operated on at the Burlington Hospital. A barn social was held at the Taylor Galbraith home on Thursday evening. It was very successful socially and financially, the total receipts for the evening being $35($373 today) which will benefit the U.P. Church.