The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1920 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1920

Stronghurst Graphic, May 13, 1920 

STRONG-HURST SUCCESSFUL AT MILITARY TRACT MEET: It begins to look as though a special trophy room will have to be provided for the exhibition of the banners, plaques, medals and other emblems of victory which Stronghurst High School is accumulating this season in track and literary contests.

Following a clean sweep made at La Harpe in the Triangular Meet, representatives of our school went to Elmwood and in competition with 13 other schools, composing what is known as the "Military Tract" league, captured first place in the track and field events, first in the boys' oratorical contest and second in the girl's de-clamatory contest. The schools contesting were Abingdon, Alexis, Aledo, Biggsville, Rushville, Strong-hurst, Normal Academy, Yates City and Elmwood.  The day was ideal for outdoor sports and an enormous crowd was in attendance. 

Quoting the Galesburg Republican Register: "Strong-hurst, the dark horse of the Military Tract meet, won yesterday's meet in Elmwood with a total of 26 points; Abingdon came in second with 17 marks. This is Stronghurst first year in the Military Tract, but her win was not altogether a surprise as the showing made in the Lombard meet by this team was good.  Normal Academy was third with 14 points and Aledo fourth with 13.(Look in this issue to discover the contests and winners.)

TAXES AND ROADS: Robert N. Clarke of Strong-hurst, who represents the 14th district on the Executive Committee of the Illinois Agricultural Association, was in Chicago attending the regular monthly meeting of the committee. Mr. Clarke led the group in the stand it took against the hard roads proposal where the farmer whose land bordered the road would be assessed the full values of the cost of the road. . .

GRADUATION ACTIVITIES: May 21st is the date on which the local high school year will end and arrangements have been completed for the customary events and exercise marking the period preceding the closing date. The Baccalaureate sermon will be delivered at the M.E. Church on Sunday evening by Rev. V. A. Crum-baker, pastor of the church.  On Wednesday afternoon Class Day exercises will be held in the Study Hall in the high school building. On Thursday night at 8 p.m. the Senior Class will present three one-act places at the Lyric Theatre under the direction of Miss Maree Larson. Commencement exercises will be held at the Lyric Theatre on Friday evening beginning at 8:15 with Dr. J. L. Conger of Knox College delivering the address. 

***OBITUARY***BERT SILSBEE: Notice of the death of Bert Silsbee at his home in Lincoln, Nebr. on May 4th.  Eben Hobert Silsbee, son of A.H. and Caroline Sils-bee was born at Galesburg, Ill., March 31, 1871 and died at Lincoln, Nebr. on May 4, 1920, aged 49 years, one month and three days.  As a young man he came with his parents to Stronghurst something like 20 years ago and was employed at carpentering and in the grain dealing business here for a number of years.  He married Clara E. Wackernagle on Sept. 24, 1892 at Bristol, Wis.  As constant companions, they have walk down life's pathway.  Through his many months of illness she was constantly at his side doing all that human hands could do to comfort and relieve.

For the past 16 years Mr. Silsbee has been with Updike Grain and Coal Co. of Omaha and his efficiency was shown by the many visits made by the managers of this company during his illness and the beautiful floral offerings sent during his sickness and after his death. For the past 6 months or more he had been in failing health due to kidney trouble with other complications.  He was a man of many estimable traits of character and during his residence in Stronghurst formed many firm and lasting friendships. He is survived by his wife and two children, Fred, aged 24 and Edna Caroline, aged 20, both at home and by his aged mother, Mrs. Caroline Silsbee of Stronghurst and one brother, Frank, now living in Louisiana.  He was a member of Lancaster Lodge No.54 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.  According to his wishes he was laid to rest in Wyuka Cemetery at Lincoln, Neb.

MARRIED IN GALES-BURG: Mrs. Flora Salter, who recently returned from California and disposed of her residence on Elizabeth St., was married in Galesburg on May 1st to a gentleman by the name of Wilmot.  It is understood that the groom has been employed as chief accountant for the Peacock Jewelry firm in Chicago and that he recently resigned that position to accept a similar one with a Los Angeles, Calif. firm of jewelers, said to be the third largest concern of that kind in the U.S.  He and his bride are reported to have left for Los Angeles soon after the wedding ceremony.

1895 GRAPHIC : A freeze with ice forming to the thickness of an eighth of an inch occurred on May 13th with disastrous results to gardens and fruit prospects.  Messers. H. M. Allison, Her-man Annegers, E. B. Camp-bell and O. L. Dunsworth purchased two lots on the west side of Broadway in the interests of the State Bank of Henderson County, which was contemplating erection of a bank building of its own.  They were purchased of J. P. Graham of Quincy, Ill., who bought them for an investment when the village first started.  The price paid for the two lots was $250 and amount realized from this sale was $1,000. (quite an investment!) T.J. Hunter was remodeling his dwelling on Mary Street. Miss Fannie McQuown had gone to the Presbyterian Hospital in Chicago for treatment.  George Marsden married Miss Mamie Gibb at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Gibb north of Stronghurst on May 15th.

JUNIOR-SENIOR BANQUET: The members of the Senior class of the Stronghurst High School and the faculty were the guests of the Juniors at the Community dining room where Mrs. Johanna Wheeling, assisted by the girls of the sophomore class, catered a five course supper.  The table decorations were daisies, the Senior class flower, with smilax and ferns. 

The color scheme of yellow and white was carried out throughout the banquet and in the decorations of the room.  A basket of flowers was suspended above the center of the table and from it festoons of yellow and white extended to the outer walls.  Below it yellow butter flies were suspended by invisible threads fluttering.  The menu for the occasion consisted of the following: creamed chicken, fruit cocktail, mashed potatoes, pea patties, rolls & jelly, olives & pickles, butterfly salad, wafers, ice cream, angel food cake, mints & chocolate, and fruit punch.  Prof. Larson acted as toastmaster orchestrating the following program: To the seniors-Ardis Hicks; we thank you-Jack Regan; End of H. S. days-Mary Dixson; never part friendship-John Stine; yesterdays-Evelyn Hartquist and a solo by Miss Larson. 

***OBITUARY***LEE SHAW: Lee. W. Shaw, who was a resident of Stronghurst for 12 years prior to 1901, living with his family in the house now occupied by C. W. Kirby, died suddenly at his home in Dallas City.  Lee W. Shaw, soldier and citizen and long a resident of Dallas City died May 11th while engaged in assisting his wife in some light work at home.  He was downtown yesterday and had to be assisted home. 

He had anticipated the end which came today.  Mr Shaw was born near Carman on May 20, 1846 and lacked only a few days of being 74 years old.  While a young man he enlisted in the service of his country, serving about six months or until the close of the war.  On 26th of January 1865 he was married to Miss Euphema Babcook of the same vicinity.  After living on a farm near Lomax a number of years, the family moved to Stronghurst.  In 1901 the family moved to Dallas City.  Seven children were born to this union, two of whom died in infancy.  A sister, Mrs. Sarah Jones, is living in Los Angeles.  Mr. Shaw was a member of the Christian Church and a member of the A.P.X.A. Masons of this city. He was a quiet citizen and a very exemplary man.

FAREWELL TO PASTOR: A reception and banquet given by the Stronghurst Lutheran Church in honor of Rev. J. O. Lindstrom occurred last Friday evening.  Between 40-50 members, mostly the younger element, were present at the reception and feast. 

Rev. Lindstrom was presented a purse of $40 by this group in appreciation of the services he had rendered.  Rev. Lindstrom expects to visit his home at Pawtuket, R.I. for a few weeks following the close of the school year at Augustana Seminary and then he will go to Alta, Iowa to supply a vacant pulpit there during the summer.  In the fall he will return to Augustana. 

LOOKING FOR BILL HUGHES: Henderson County officials are engaged in a search for "Bill" Hughes, a Negro who had been employed on the Smith farm near Gladstone for several months and who committed a brutal assault on the 16 year old daughter of the Smith's last Tuesday evening while she was engaged in feeding the horses in the barn.  The miscreant made his get-a-way following the assault and officials of adjoining counties have been notified to be on the lookout for him.  He is described as being about 24 years of age, six feet tall, medium build and having a sagging lower lip.

SHOT THE DOCTOR! Dr. A. R. Stotts, one of Galesburg's most prominent physicians, was shot in the throat and seriously wounded last Saturday afternoon by C. E. Carlson, a local baker who had called at the latter's office. 

The injured physician is in the Galesburg hospital where at latest reports his condition was said to be encouraging.  His assailant, who is lodged in the county jail, is said to be a drug addict and it is thought that he was mentally unbalanced at the time the deed was committed.

POLLTAX DUE: All residents of Media Township who are liable to poll tax-this includes every able-bodied man between the ages of 21 and 50 years-are notified that the $2.00 must be paid on or before the first Monday in June.  Payment may be made to Supervisor, Gust A. Swanson, treasurer or to the State Bank of Media. (Today, no poll tax is charged to vote; did it increase the turn out back then when good, hard money had to be spent?)

CARMAN CONCERNS: Thomas Dixon has been suffering with an infected eye caused by a chip striking him.  The doctor thinks he will soon be all right.  The community was shocked and saddened Sunday on receiving a message of the deaths of Mrs. Maggie Marsden, widow of the late W.H. Marsden and their daughter, Mrs. Lillian Gailey of Burlington, Ia. 

They spent many years of their lives here and had many friends who will mourn their departure.  Mrs. Virgie Mead and Mrs. Ruth Marsden entertained about 30 young folks Saturday evening in honor of Miss Cora Johansen of Burlington and Miss Ora Kemp of West Branch, Ia.  Fred Siegworth will teach the Kirby School this fall.  Paul Pendry came home from the Burlington Hospital and is feeling fine.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: The M. E. Church of Dallas City have just signed a contract with the Bennington Bros. of that city for the erection of a new church building to cost in the neighborhood of $28,000.  Tom Zimmerman of Biggsville had the misfortune to lose several of his toes as the result of an accident which occurred while working with a steam shovel gang at the Gladstone stone quarry.  Prof. L. Fairfax, who has served as superintendent of schools at Warsaw, Ill. For 24 consecutive years, has been re-elected to the position for the ensuing year at the increase in salary of $200. 

The garage of James McFarland in Lomax burned to the ground.  One car and practically all of the tools and accessories in the building were completely destroyed with no insurance carried by the proprietor.

W.B. Gregory has purchased from his sister-in-law, Mrs. Lelia John-son, a half interest in the Johnson garage in this village and hereafter the business will be conducted under their joint name. A card from P. A. Stamp locates him and his family at Tulsa, Okla. and reports them well. The Helen Blair, one of the best known and most popular of the Mississippi River steamers in former years, was destroyed by fire at St. Louis. The steamer was valued at $50,000 and the loss is total as the insurance had been allowed to lapse a few days before the fire. C. E. Pea-sley and C. E. Fort were at Springfield attending the state conventions of the republican and democratic parties.  Both report much enthusiasm.  They say that the big bunch of Thompson claqueurs from Chicago made a lot of noise in the republican convention and put forth a lot of energy in trying to put their program over but found a too stiff and well organized opposition from the Lowden forces to permit them to accomplish their purpose.

News that Stronghurst is now offering special attractions to members of the feathered songster tribe in the way of handsome and convenient homes, seems to have become known in ornithic circles. A large flock of small birds of brilliant black and yellow plumage, and which some people have designated as "wild canaries," have been observed here lately and excited much comment. When this flock of little songsters alight on a lawn and spread themselves over it, the effect produced is like that of a sprinkling of bright colored flowers amongst the verdure. (The editor needed to fill space, no doubt, and in the post Victorian manner simply says that the gold finches have arrived.)

Miss Sara Voorhees closed her second year's work as teacher of the Dutch Row School.  Mrs. Lois Tulsen of Galesburg spent Sunday with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. H.

D. Lovitt.  Twenty-eight pupils of the 7th and 8th grades took the final examination at the public school house on Saturday with Prof. Larson in charge.  Phil Rowley, former editor of the Biggsville Clipper, who has been visiting his brother Harry at Two Rivers, Wis. for several weeks, returned to Biggsville and is now a victim of the lagrippe.  The Henderson school of which Miss Myrtle Gustafson has been the teacher for the past two years, closed with a picnic dinner and a Maying party in the woods nearby.  Miss Marie Mudd, who has taught in the Raritan school for the past 3 years has finished her school and returned home. She has been employed at Little York for the coming year at a salary of $120 per month($1,279.20 in today's values). A series of evangelistic meetings which has been conducted for five weeks past by Dr. George W. Ridout at the M. E. Church in Oquawka, will close with a special "round up" service.  Dr. Reed Salter escaped from what might have been a serious accident when a horse which he was doctoring at Joe Dixson's kicked a bottle of iodine in his face. Fortunately, none of the particles of broken glass struck his face but the iodine was splashed on his face and entered his eyes, making immediate medical attention necessary. Lloyd Chant has resigned this position at the First National Bank here and accepted one in Chicago. New walks are being laid on the west side of the Harter block (one on which the Quill sits today), at the Lutheran Church and a crossing is being laid across Main St. at the Cooper St. intersection (no crossing there today).  Miss Mary Morgan returned from Beunavista, Colorado, where she spent several weeks visiting her brother, G. R. Morgan and wife, who have been there for some time seeking the recuperation of Mr. Morgan's health. Dr. Reed Salter is quarantined to his home on account of his daughter, Lillian, having scarlet fever. Miss Edna Salter is helping care for the patient and every precaution is being taken to prevent spread of the disease. 

C. E. Fort, Jr., who has been sojourning in Oklahoma City, Okla. for several months, has returned to Stronghurst and will with his brother, J. B. Fort, be engaged in the management of their father's farm west of town. Miss Ethel Hartquist suffered from what appeared to be an attack of appendicitis and was unable to take charge of her classes in the Stronghurst public school.  Happily the attack was of a temporary nature and she was able to resume her school duties the following day. Earl Huppert, who has been assisting his father, J.P. Huppert, with the work at the harness shop, left to take a job as fireman on the C.B.&Q. Rail-road. He will have a freight run between Chicago and Galesburg and live in Chicago.

Jay Foote, who went up into Canada last year to help with the wheat harvest and spent the winter in Vancouver, B.C. with his son Oliver, returned home accompanied by his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Oliver Foote and her little 3 year old daughter. Charles Abrams, who has been manager for the Live Wire Supply Co. here during the past year, gave up that position and with family left for Macomb.  Raymond Shields, who has been employed as lineman and repair man for Western Utilities Co. will succeed Abrams as manager of the Live Wire Co.  O.J. Sanderson and sons, James and Kenneth, called at the John Weir home in Biggsville.  W. B. Gregory and Glenn Marshall left for Detroit to drive a consignment of Ford cars back for the Johnson garage. On a day recently 45 Ford cars and trucks were seen to pass the Weir fruit farm at one time. As a badge each had a red handkerchief tied on it. The second floor of the Davis Building first door north of the post office will be used as temporary headquarters for the Farm Bureau this summer. Miss Hartquist's public school pupils went into the woods north of town for a picnic lunch.  Frank Ford, who has been hovering between life and death for a number of days at the home of his grandmother, Mrs. Hamburg, remains in very critical condition. Miss Naomi Cooper should be given honors for her early garden display.  Potatoes planted on Good Friday have made rapid growth and for several days she has been furnishing early plants of various kinds to many people.  The agricultural class in the local high school has been marketing a lot of White Wyandotte baby chicks hatched in an incubator recently added to the equipment of the school. 

After a week of fine weather, which the farmers made good use of in preparing much corn ground and implanting quite acreage, a cold rain set in and lasted for three days. Between 3 and 4 inches of rain fell and the ground will not be in good shape before the end of the week. While temperatures have become decidedly cool, no freezing weather has damaged tender garden plants or fruit blossoms.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Melvin Galbraith and Miss Agnes Dalton of Hopper, Ill. were married in Burlington.  Melvin is the second son of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Galbraith; he is a successful farmer.  Miss Dalton taught school last year in the drainage district and is a successful teacher. 

Mrs. John Fryer was called to Stronghurst by the serious illness of her mother, Mrs. Catherine Hudson.  Mrs. Opal Galbraith is quite ill.  Quite a number from here went on the Sunday excursion on the river out of Burlington to Fort Madison.  Harold Galbraith, who is employed with a band in the south, visited his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Taylor Galbraith.  Mrs. Walter Roff of Galesburg visited her mother, Mrs. L. Hotle and attended the Com Evan funeral at Olena.

MEDIA MEAN-DERINGS: The agricultural class and their instructor of the Stronghurst High School visited the Lewis Seed Co.  The Company has had to work a force of men a number of evenings to keep up with the large demand for seed corn.  Mr. Everett Pendarvis of the Dutch Row neighborhood had the misfortune of breaking his leg.  Miss Hazel Leinbach was able to be brought home from the Galesburg hospital where she recently underwent an operation.  John Wever is quite poorly. 

Miss Opal Wolfe's school south of town closed with a picnic dinner.  In Lomax M. F. Williams and family of Chicago arrived to make Lomax their home.  He is the foreman for the Economy Manufacturing Co. plant.