The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1920
Stronghurst Graphic, Jan.15, 1920
FARMERS' DAY IN STRONGHURST: The farmers of this community numbering about 100, who compose the Stronghurst Grain and Mdse. Co., devoted the whole of Wednesday to demonstrating that this cooperative company is not only a going and successful business, but also an organization which includes amongst it aims and purposes the cultivation and promotion of the true community spirit, social fellowship and good cheer. Handsome printed folders containing the day's program along with place cards for the noonday luncheon had been sent out to the stockholders and invited guests.
Practically the entire membership responded and participated in the day's doings. The regular business session was held in the forenoon at the Lyric Theatre. The yearly report was read showing that it had been a very prosperous year, earning 14% on capital investment. The following directors were elected: Wm. Hartquist, E.G. Lewis and W.W.Ross. At the directors' meeting which followed the old officers were unanimously re-elected: O.J.Sanderson, Pres; Wm. Hartquist, V. Pres.; C.R.A. Marshall, Sec.-Treas. And G.B. Warren, Manager.
At noon members, officials of the company, and a number of invited guests repaired to the community dining room and sat down to a feast prepared by the ladies of that club. Table decorations were smilax and cut flowers. The menus was as follows: oyster cocktail, celery, pickles, smothered chicken with sage dressing, pressed beef, peas and pattie shells, mashed potatoes and gravy, cabbage salad, cranberries, pie A la mode, rolls, Tea, Coffee and cigars.
Excellent piano music by Mrs. R.W. Upton and vocal music by Messrs. C. Larson, D. Prescott, K.E. Yaokam and Miss Mary Dixson was rendered during the serving of the luncheon and at the close, the whole company joined in singing number of songs from a song leaflet published by the Co-operative Journal Co. of Chicago.
Immediately following the luncheon stockholders received their checks and all adjourned to the Lyric Theatre for the afternoon program which featured Wm. Stickney of Chicago, the man largely instrumental in organizing the Farmers' Co-operative Grain Dealers Association. He was followed by Mr. McDermott of Peoria, federal income tax representative for this district. (If you are interested in what they said, read the microfilm at the Henderson County Public Library for this issue).
STATE BANK MEETING: The share holders of the State Bank of Stronghurst held their meeting its banking rooms and increased the capital stock from $70,000 to $105,000. Richard W. Marshall was elected a director (this honored the memory of his father, John Marshall, who was the president of the bank of 20 years as well as its first president). The bank's capital is now represented by 1,050 shares-every one is owned by land owners in Henderson County, making the bank a 100% Henderson County institution. On account of the satisfactory earnings of the past year, the employees were remembered by increases of salary from 10 to 90 %
ROBBERY: The office of the Illinois Bankers Life Insurance Association in the Woods & Hallam Building in Monmouth was entered by burglars some time between the closing hours on last Saturday evening and the opening on Monday morning. One hundred dollars in cash was taken from the safe and cash drawer along with $1,500 in Liberty bonds. About $500 in Thrift Stamps which were in the safe were overlooked by the burglars.
ANOTHER BIG HEREFORD DAY: Stronghurst, the world's Hereford cattle center, was the scene of another big sale when 55 head of Polled bulls, cows and heifers were disposed of at auction by Col.Fred Reppert in the Association's sale pavilion. Packed to the limit with buyers and spectators, the sale featured animals from well known local breeders. The sale was topped by the 16 month old bull, Don Edward consigned by Frank E. Painter and Sons of Stronghurst which went to Fran Heath of Joliet, Ill for $2,700 ($32,103 in today's value). Another young bull, Duke's Dandy consigned by Ralph Painter and Sons of Stronghurst went to A.C.Yaley of Media Township at $1,500 ($17,835 in today's value). (List of buyers and prices paid in this article.)
FIRST STATE BANK HOLDS ANNUAL MEETING AND BANQUET: The regular annual meeting of stockholders of the First National Bank of Stronghurst was held at the bank's office with over one-half of the stock represented. Casher Widney reported that the bank showed a profit of over 18% the last year. The board followed the suggestion of the bank examiner and voted an increase of stock.
The same directors and officers were re-elected as well as the following working force: Cashier, B.G.Widney; assistant, J.F. McMillan; bookkeepers, Ruth L. Mains and Lloyd Chant; their salaries were increased. At noon the officers and those who had held official relations with the bank with their wives were banqueted at the community dining room by the wives of the resident directors. Covers were laid for twenty and a magnificent feast was served. Table decorations were Jacquimot roses and ferns and a center piece of strawflowers sent by Dr. and Mrs. I.F.Harter from California. A menu consisted of fruit cocktail, roast turkey with oyster dressing, pressed chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, pimento salad, cheese balls on lettuce leaves, cranberry jelly, apple sauce, pickles, hot rolls, chocolate pie, fruit cake and coffee. Misses Mary and Doris Dixson entertained the guests with vocal and instrumental music. (List of attendees in this article.)
1895 Graphic: W.F. Morey sustained severe injuries when he fell from a ladder on which he was standing while helping to take down an old awning on the King restaurant in the village. Grove Foote, who was holding down a position as motor man on the Burlington Electric street railway, was struck by a motor car and hurled several feet striking his head on the brick pavement. He was rendered unconscious by the blow and remained in that condition for nearly a day. Newt Hardin sold his restaurant to his brother-in law, Art Hillman of Blandinsville. Evangelist H.H.Bell closed his revival meeting at the U.P.Church; the services were packed to the doors and many were unable to gain admittance. The series resulted in 33 professed conversions.
The weather had turned extremely cold since the previous week and ice from 11 to 14 inches in thickness was being harvested. At the election of officers of the Media State Bank, W.G.Pogue was elected president, John Dalton, vice president and R.L.Wray, cashier. Joseph Thompson had just closed a deal in which the south quarter of the old Campbell farm east of Olena was sold to George Scott of Dallas City for $50 per acre.
CARMAN CONCERNS: Kenneth, the little son of Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Mead, met with quite an accident while he and his youngest brother, Junior, were returning home from school. They had their sled tied behind a wagon when they noticed an automobile approaching and began to run in different directions. The driver put on his brakes and sliding sideways hit the boy on the head with the fender of his car. The lad was rendered unconscious and remained in that condition until near morning, but the doctor found no bones broken. A nurse has been caring for him since the accident. The driver of the car was from Media, but Mr. Mead does not hold him responsible for the accident. Mrs. Norton Parks was brought home from the Burlington Hospital. The sale of W.H.Johnson was well attended and the ladies cleared $25.05 with their dinner. Word was received of the birth of a little son to Mr. and Mrs. Clarence DeHague in Wever, Iowa.
GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: John Allen was severely hurt by a tree falling on him while cutting wood out at the Brainard place. Miss Margaret Porter, who was operated on for appendicitis at the Burlington Hospital, is some better. Fred Pence is very ill with rheumatism. Harold Galbraith, the census enumerator is about the busiest fellow around here. David Sage has bought the Charles Dowell property in the village. Mrs. Anna Robbins has moved to Kirkwood. The Ladies Aid met at the home of Mrs. David Cook with about 20 ladies present; they declared her to be a royal hostess. A box social will be held at Bryan's Hall for the benefit of the Gladstone orchestra.
MEDIA MEANDER-INGS: Miss Merle Drain was taken to the Galesburg Hospital for an operation. The community club met at the home of Mrs. John Lawyer with a good attendance. Dainty refreshments of fruit salad, wafers, sandwiches and coffee were served. In two weeks the club will meet at the home of Mrs. Henry White. Walter Goodman of Kirkwood is filling the position at the bank vacated recently by Joe McCleary who went to Monmouth.
LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Mrs. Zora Salter is having her residence improved and modernized. The W.C.T.U. will hold a jubilee meeting at the M.E.Church. Irwin Milliken went to Wisconsin to enter the employ of the Monarch Co; Emmet Milliken here is the local agent from the firm. Elbridge Fort is at the Burlington Hospital recovering from an operation for hernia and appendicitis. Lyman Ross and wife are looking after his farming interests during his absence. Raritan and Media and residents of the road between the two towns have about completed the wiring preparatory to using electricity from the Monmouth plant. The line is being brought west from Raritan to the Dan Crist and Bailey farms and no doubt will come the four miles intervening between the LaHarpe line and that point adding great advantages to the farm homes along the way. Rudyard Kershaw is the new switch tender for the electric light company.
Jack Montroy and family moved to the Guy Lanphere place. Miss Merna Vaughn is attending Brown's Business College at Galesburg taking a special course in bookkeeping. Harvey Duncan and family moved from Newton Marshall's tenant house 4 miles southeast of town to the Ralph Morse place, 1 miles southwest of town now owned by Mr. Marshall. At the local W.C.T.U. meeting held at the Community room the bible question contest was brought to a close. Mrs. H.M.Allison, well known as a very capable Bible student, proved to be the only one among the members having all of the questions answered correctly. The losing side was required to sing a song which they graciously did.
OBITUARIES-MRS. C. Z.BLACK: Catherine Zerlina Hinman, daughter of Eli and Ann Hinman, was born Dec.16, 1841 in Oneida County, New York and died in her home southwest of Stronghurst, Jan.7 at 4 p.m. being 78 years and 22 days old.
At the age of 16 years she moved with her parents to Illinois where she lived until her decease. She married Samuel Wilson Black Sept.4, 1862 and on the present site of the homestead they built a little cottage where they lived many years, toiling and enduring the hardships of pioneer life.
To this union were born ten children, the two eldest, Emma and Ella, having died in infancy, the remaining eight are left to mourn their loss: Mrs. Etta Satterly of Lincoln, Nebr.; Mrs. J.B.Watson, Ft. Collins, Colo.; Mrs. Edwin Lant, Stronghurst, Ill.; Mrs. Ida Belle Atken, Youngstown, Ohio; Mrs. Florence Marshall, Stronghurst, Ill.; Samuel F. of Littletown, Colo.; Dr. A.E. of Chicago, Ill. and Wilbur, C., who resides on the farm. All but two of whom were present at her bedside.
Her last illness extended over one year, having an attack of the flu from which she never fully recovered and gradually grew weaker day by day. Although a great sufferer she insisted on being around the greater part of time and until last Friday, she was able to come to the dining room table.
She was patient and enduring through her sickness, these two elements being her strong characteristics. She was a tender, sympathetic, helpful, hospitable, loving, devoted wife, mother and neighbor. Cheerful to the very last, conversing with friends and the family almost until the last breath had died away and making requests for final arrangement concerning her demise, one of which was the singing of the old, old song-"The Gate Ajar for Me."
She was a member of the Olena U.P. congregation, but her letter had never been transferred after that congregation had dissolved.
MRS. ALZORA MAT-HERS: Alzora Powell, daughter of Nathan and Mary Powell, pioneer residents of Henderson County, was born in Dearborn County, Ind., April 26, 1837. With her parents, she came to Illinois in 1855, the family settling on what is known as the "old Powell homestead," 2 miles north and 1 mile west of Raritan in Media Township. In 1859 she was united in marriage to Robert Mathers and they immediately went to housekeeping on the farm where she entered into rest.
Seven children, four sons and three daughters, were born to Mr. and Mrs. Mathers, of whom four survive to mourn the loss of their parents, namely: Eugene, Samuel N. and Ethel (wife of E.G.Lewis) at home; James J. of Media Township. The deceased children are Mrs. Dora Irons, Mrs. Lois Cavins and Robert Ellsworth. There are seven grandchildren: Lewis Cavins, Effie, Logan and Otis Irons, Robert Mathers, William and Edwin Lewis. Also she had three great grandchildren, Hansel V., Alta Hilbert and Cameron Cavins. Mr.Mathers passed away on May 8, 1907 at the age of 79 years.
The oldest son, Eugene, has been an invalid since he was fourteen which fact has kept the mother at home the greater part of her married life, hence only those who came in contact with her in her home life learned to know her. And to know her was to love her. Her life was one of motherly devotion and a lesson in patient endurance.
At an early age Mrs. Mathers untied with the Methodist Episcopal Church on her home community in Indiana to which faith she held to the end of life. Funeral services were held at the house and interment was in the Walnut Grove Cemetery.
***E.RAYMOND*** E. Raymond, who many in this vicinity knew when he held the position of Div. Supt. of the Santa Re R.R. with headquarters at Chillicothe, Ill. several years ago and who had since been prompted to the position of Ass't Gen. Manager of the Eastern Grand Div. of the system, died at the hospital in Topeka, Wed. Jan.14th.
Mr. Raymond had gradually worked his way up from the lowest round of the ladder in railway activity, having started in as a section hand. He was a man possessing many remarkable as well as likable traits of character and had many friends in this section of Illinois. Funeral services will be conducted at Topeka, Kan. Mr. T.E.Walker of this place, former roadmaster of this division of the Santa Fe will attend the obsequies in company with a number of other division officials.
***RALPH ROWLEY*** Ralph Rowley, formerly of Biggsville, died at the hospital at Kramer, Ind. last Saturday night,
ENGINE EXPLODES: F.I.Sylves, engineer, and Henry Engle, foreman of Galesburg and R.E.Totten, brakeman of Bushnell, Ill. are all dead as the result of a terrible accident which occurred on the Burlington road near Danville, Iowa at 12:50 p.m. last Monday. The three men were riding in the engine of a freight train when an explosion occurred which literally blew the big engine into pieces, many of which were thrown the distance of a city block.
The engineer and fireman were killed instantly, the former being hurled into a bank of earth along side the track and the latter blown back into the tender and buried beneath the coal. Brakeman Totten was hurled through the air a considerable distance and struck along the right of way where he was pinned down by a heavy piece of iron from the engine.
He managed to free himself and make his way to a farm house several rods away. He was taken to Mercy Hospital in Burlington and passed away at 3:30 p.m Tuesday afternoon after a brave fight for life of over 26 hours.
While causes of the explosion are not definitely known, the railroad officials give it as their opinion that it was caused by low water in the boiler of the engine