The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

Biggsville Village Board

Wed., April 2, 2008 Minutes:

The board met in regular session with President Dale Allenbaugh presiding and the following present: Trustees-Brian Cochran, Marilyn Evans, Jennifer Hopkins, Gloria Minard, Bob Onion, and Brian Sterett. Treasurer-Gloria Jones-Clerk-Frank Jones. Visitors-Terry Thacker and Richard Johnson.

President Dale Allenbaugh opened the meeting at 7:00 p.m. by leading the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.

Roll call was called by Clerk Frank Jones.

Terry Thacker asked the board if the alley behind his property was open. If the alley is open he would like it graveled so he could build a garage. Dale Allenbaugh will check at the court house to see if the alley is closed and Dale asked Mr. Thacker if he would check with his neighbors if it is okay. Marilyn Evans moved if the alley is closed to have it opened as long as the neighbors are okay with it, seconded by Jennifer Hopkins. Roll was called and all present voted yes.

Dale Allenbaugh reported on the water project. Dale Allenbaugh, Rural Development WIRC, and the village attorney met at the attorney's office to finalize the loan with Rural Development.

Rural Development reported the loan repayment would be $42.63 per month per customer. This assumed the water purchased from Dallas Rural Water is $2.50 per 1,000 gallons of water.

Minutes of the regular meeting were read by Clerk Frank Jones. Brian Sterett moved the minutes stand approved as read and seconded by Gloria Minard. Roll was called and all present voted yes.

Treasurer Gloria Jones presented the treasurer's report. Brian Sterett moved the treasurers' report be approved as presented and seconded by Marilyn Evans. Roll was called and all present voted yes.

Bill were read by Clerk Frank Jones. Brian Cochran moved the bills be paid as read and seconded by Gloria Minard that orders be drawn on the treasurer for the same. Roll was called and all present voted yes.

Brian Cochran said that Floyd's would pick up the trash for $52.00 for three months. Brian will ask what the second pickup would be. The village is now paying $87.74 for three months for two pickup places.

Floyd's will provide trash containers for Trash Bash also. We will try to set this up for the first weekend in June.


Parks and Recreation-Richard Johnson reported on the Parks and Recreation meeting. Use of the ball field was the topic. They discussed lights, field condition, mowing, and revenue. The infield needs more absorbent clay. This is estimated at $1,700 and will last four years.

The committee recommended revenue ideas to the village. 1) No fees charged to the teams, they will pass the hat for each game. Proceeds will go to the village for field expenses. 2) Recommendation-for special events charge each car $10.00 admission/parking fee. 3) Concession stand will be ran by the teams.

President Dale Allenbaugh suggested to have a celebrity baseball night as a fund raiser. This would include food, raffles, and ball games. He suggested Saturday, May 26 as the date.

Bob Onion had a price for the clay for the diamond. Ten ton $2,150, 15 ton $2,850, and 40 ton $4,100 plus freight.

Brian Cochran moved the board accept the recommendation from the Parks and Recreation Committee's not to charge the teams to play and to pass the hat for the purpose of maintaining the ball park and field, seconded by Bob Onion, Roll was called and all present voted yes.

President Dale Allenbaugh reported the Garden Club is interested in doing more flowers in the village. Dale said the Parks and Recreation would be in charge of this.

Public Relations-Marilyn Evans reported she had an inquiry why the Jake Brake signs were not installed on Highway 34. This was looked into previously and it was going to be very costly and there would be no one to enforce it.

Water-Brian Cochran asked if Biggsville could be mixed with a low mix blend of Dallas Rural Water to cut costs. Dale Allenbaugh will ask the village engineer.

Sewer and Lagoon-Dale Allenbaugh hd an inquiry about using water in the building at the east end of town. There is no sewer at this location and Dale will look into this possibility of a water only customer.

The meeting adjourn at 9:21 p.m. with the next regular meeting to be on Wednesday, May 7, at 7 p.m. at the Community Building.

Frank H. Jones-Clerk