The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1919 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1919

Stronghurst Graphic, August 7, 1919 

NORTH MEETS THE SOUTH: The farmers of the northern half of Henderson County will be the guest August 11th of the farmers of the south half in a grand farm and livestock inspection tour by auto and a big picnic dinner at the "Foot Prints Farm" near Decorra. The affair, which had its inception in the fertile brain of county farm agent J. Howard Miner, has been arranged for the purpose of bringing the farmers from the two sections of the county into closer relationship with each other, also to afford an opportunity for the inspection of some of the fine herds of pure bred stock for which the county is becoming famous, and for observing the success which may be attained in the raising of special crops through intelligent and scientific effort.

The point of rendezvous for the north end farmers and their families will be Biggsville at which place they will be met by their south end brethren, who are to do the honors. The procession which is to tour the south half of the county will be formed leaving Biggsville at 8 o'clock a.m. Any one who desires to do so may join the procession at any place along the route and participate in the remainder of the tour. It is expected, however, that those living south of Biggsville, who intend participating in the big picnic dinner to be served at "Foot Prints Farm" will go provided with viands enough to feed themselves and some of the north end guests. The general arrangements for the dinner are in the hands of a competent committee of ladies and the affair will undoubtedly be a social event long to be remembered by the participants.

The schedule of the tour is as follows: 8 a.m. leave Biggsville going south. First stop at Edgar Rankin farm where large cattle feeding yards will be inspected; second stop at R.N.Clark's where soy beans planted with corn may be seen; also hollow block silo damaged by lightning; third stop at E.G.Lewis Seed House in Media. 9:30 a.m. leave Media going south; fourth stop at D.A.King's and inspection of Percheron horses; fifth stop, Roy W. Hixson's inspection of Chester White herd of swine and the alfalfa fields of Mr. Corzatt just across the road. 10:00 a.m. leave Raritan, going west; sixth stop, A.B.Corzatt's alfalfa field; seventh stop, Earl Brokaw's and inspection of Poland China hogs. 11:30 a.m. eighth stop at Ed Stine's and inspection of Hereford cattle herd; ninth stop, Ralph Painter's and inspection of Herefords; tenth stop C.W.Walker's and inspection of Duroc-Jersey swine. 1:00 p.m. Chas. E. Peasley's "Foot Print" pasture for picnic dinner. 2:30 p.m. leave picnic grounds going north through Decorra; eleventh stop, Fred Chandler's inspection of Short Horn cattle and limestone demonstration; twelfth stop, Harry Lovitt's and inspection of Aberdeen Angus cattle; thirteen the stop, Jesse Elston, inspection of Short Horn cattle; fourteenth stop, Conrad Eckhardt & Son's at Dallas City where show herd of Poland China hogs being prepared for exhibition at Illinois State Fair will be inspected. 4:30 p.m. leave Dallas City returning via Lomax; fifteenth stop, W.H.Wyatt's where limestone demonstration will be made; sixteenth stop, C.B.Vaughn's where the beneficial results of limestone application to the soil will also be seen. Here the tour will end and the procession disband.

This will be one of the most unique and interesting events in the history of the agricultural development of Henderson County, and with good weather prevailing will no doubt be taken part in by a large number of farmers and others in the county.

1894 GRAPHIC: H.F. Turner purchased Sime Nevius stock of groceries in Stronghurst and combined it with his own. Chas. O. Starr of Belfast, Iowa and Miss Carrie L. West of this village were united in marriage in Fort Madison on Aug. 3rd. A breach of promise suit in which a young lady of Hobart, Ind. sought $10,000 damage for her wounded feelings from a former teacher at Raritan, who was about to lead a lady of this vicinity to the altar, was the subject of considerable gossip. Hal Rankin has just rented the Foote Building in Stronghurst and was preparing to enter the hardware business. Roy Shook had accepted a job as printer's devil at the Graphic office. F.J.Silsbee left to take a position with the Santa Fe R.R. at Marceline, Mo. About 40 guests celebrated the birthday of the two Harter brothers, I.H. and H.B. at the home of the former on Aug. 8th.

CHAUTAUQUA IS OVER: Stronghurst's six day Chautauqua closed Wednesday evening and while it might not be altogether accurate to say that the end came in a "blaze of glory," it certainly did come accompanied by a magnificent display of heavenly pyrotechnics and a demonstration by the elements which surpassed anything which might be hoped for from the most enthusiastic audience. (It stormed.)

The program for the evening, which included the children's pageant, "Columbia in Fairyland" and a concert by the Clifford A Foote Trio were carried out accompanied by crashes of thunder and a downpour of rain which at times almost completely drowned out the voices from the stage and turned the performance into a pantomime. The audience, however, accepted the situation with the best grace and evidently found consolation in the thought expressed by Superintendent Abels, that while the rain was hard on the Chautauqua, it was good for the corn.

Despite the storm preventing a number of the children who were to take part in the pageant from being present, the spectacle as staged was one which was highly enjoyed by the audience and reflected much credit upon the work of Miss Reher, the Junior Superintendent, and her assistants. Concerning the entire program which was put on this year, there is some diversity of opinion regarding its excellence as compared with former years, depending largely upon the individual point of view. There was perhaps not so much diversity in the entertainment as has marked previous assemblies, and in the estimation of some, the "after the War Patriotism" idea, a subject on which the public is considerably "fed up" at present, was given too large a place proportionately on the program.

Be that as it may, however, there can be no question that the entertainment, instruction and inspiration to higher ideals afforded by such lectures as those given by Dr. Gordon and others and by such music furnished by the musical organizations were worth the individual patron many times the sum which the Chautauqua cost them.

While pledges for tickets numbered 275 for next year, the local committee has thought it advisable to defer making definite arrangements for it until they have sounded out the sentiment of the community in regard to what is desired in the way of talent. From a financial standpoint this year's assembly was one of the most successful which has ever been held her and the local committee will probably find themselves in the possession of a nice little balance when the expenses are all paid.

SATISFIED CUSTOMER: During the past week, we delivered to M.L.Evans for use on his farms near Decorra, the second Ford ton truck. Mr. Evans also owns a Ford Coupe and a Ford Touring car. We will deliver to Mr. F.Allen Annegers of the Decorra neighborhood his second Ford Sedan car equipped with self starter. Mr. Annegers was a recent purchaser of a new Ford Touring car. These repeat orders from men of sound judgment and discrimination should be sufficient to convince prospective purchasers of trucks or cars of the reliability of the Ford Products-Johnson's Garage

***OBITUARY*** CLARENCE KIMMITT: Clarence Kimmitt, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ira Kimmitt, passed away at the Monmouth Hospital Aug. 5th. The young man was the victim of typhoid fever and had been sick about three weeks. A week ago he was taken to the hospital for treatment and was thought to be out of danger but suffered a relapse which terminated fatally. Clarence was born March 10, 1899 near LaHarpe and was the second child of Mr. and Mrs. Ira Kimmitt. Most of his life was spent at Stronghurst where he lived for 13 years. Eight months ago the family came to Monmouth. He leaves to mourn his death his father and mother and three brothers and three sisters: Ethel, Esther, Edith, Ray Harold and Roy-all of the home. One sister, Helen Louise, died Oct.13, 1917. It is understood that the body will be brought to Stronghurst and interment made in the village cemetery.

BOUGHT THE BOAR: Maurice Lee, Fred Gray and Earl Brokaw of this vicinity and Dave Lee of the firm of Lee Bros. of Little York were at Villisca, Iowa where they attended the Poland-China hog sale conducted by Monroe McCoy and Son. They bought one of the four boars of a litter of last fall pigs which brought the record price of $7,660. One of the four animals brought $3,500, said to be a world's record price for a fall boar under one year old. The difference in weight between any of the four animals was only 20 lbs. Col. Duncan, the auctioneer, said that the sale was remarkable in that 40 head of swine were sold at an average price of $500 each. The men from this vicinity were well pleased with the purchase they made and think they have bought the coming Poland-China boar of this section of Illinois.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Donald Galbraith went to Clifton Hill, visit his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Galbraith. Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Pence and Mrs. Glenn Tribler, who were visiting friends in Chicago several days, say that the riot was something terrible.(race riots) Mr. Sharp of Galesburg, a soldier boy who served a year in France, spent Sunday with his uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Dave Bryans. Mr. Will Galbraith sold his farm south of town to Thomas Harney of Keithsburg. Henry Rhoads has bought the house of J.W.Hancock and will fix it up for a home soon.

MEDIA MEANDER-INGS: John Gibson returned from several months spent in Michigan at an automobile school. A number of houses in town are wired for lights. It is hoped that the line between here and Biggsville will soon be completed.T.W.Wilson is having a new cellar put in below his house. Several here saw an aeroplane that passed over here last Saturday afternoon. It seemed to be following the Santa Fe. The Grand Union Tea Company man from Burlington delivered goods in town.

LOMAX LINGERINGS: A Curtis bi-plane with Pilot Wright and Mechanic Schroeder was forced to land on account of fire in the Pence field just east of town at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. They were enroute from Chicago to Atchison, Kansas where the latter's home was. After a friendly stay of three days, the boys left in a good as shape as before landing. W.C.Freeland's horse, King, will start at the LaHarpe races Thursday. More new steel is being laid on the main tracks of the Santa Fe. H.F. Pence has a new "Dort" car. Go slow Harry on the start.