TThe Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1919 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1919

Stronghurst Graphic, June 5, 1919

COMPLETED HIGH SCHOOL COURSE: A class of 12 Stronghurst High School seniors, looking very dignified in their caps and gowns, stood on the stage of the Lyric Theatre Tuesday evening and received their diplomas. This class of 1919 was composed of eight young ladies and six young men, namely: Maxine Lovitt, Ruth McMillan, Blanche Russler, Martha Davis, Genevieve Adair, Thelma Steffey, Marjorie Gibb, Gladys Rankin, Russell Jaggers, Carl Schierbaum, Manly Staley, Gilbert Simpson, Robert Adair and Lloyd Chant. Genevieve and Robert Adair were prevented by sickness from having a part in the public ceremony. Class exercises on Wednesday in the high school assembly room and the Baccalaureate services delivered by Rev. A. Jaggers at the U.P.Church on Sabbath evening were events associated with the graduation of this class. Rev. Jaggers in this sermon took the text " Build for Character, not for Fame." The commencement exercises proper were opened by an orchestra selection followed by an invocation by Rev. K.R.Anderson. Manley Staley, Salutatorian, then paid due honor to the assembled guest, who had gathered to witness the graduating ceremonies, to the school board and faculty and to all the community who had shown an interest in the school life of the class of 1919.

The address, which was in greater part directed more to the audience in the seats before the speaker than to the class upon the platform, dealt with the rising generation as the incomparable greatest asset of the community state or nation. Rev. Ferris proved himself to be not only a man with a message but a brilliant and polished orator. The address was followed by another selection by the orchestra and then Miss Maxine Lovitt as the class Valedictorian, spoke the farewells to faculty, classmates and all those between. Mr. J.F.Mains on behalf of the school board addressed the class with a few well chosen words and handed each member the diploma which had been earned. Prof. Robison of the Canton, Mo. University offered the closing prayer and dismissed the audience.

CELEBRATES MEMORIAL DAY: Memorial Day was fittingly and appropriately celebrated in the village last Friday. Business of all kind was suspended during the greater part of the afternoon and a large concourse of people gathered at the Lyric Theatre at 3:30 pm to participate in exercises held in honor of the nation's fallen heroes. The Stronghurst Band played a number of selections on the street near the theatre entrance. The exercises were opened by the orchestra playing "The Star Spangled Banner" followed by the singing of the National Anthem by the audience. Rev. Jaggers led the assembly in prayer. A vocal solo by Miss Marie Davidson, a harp solo by Miss Erma Kaiser and another vocal solo by Miss Alice Wax followed.

Mr. J.F.Mains, chairman of the occasion, then introduced Rev. W.E.McCullough, D.D. of Pittsburg, Pa. as the speaker for the afternoon. Afterward Misses Sarah McElhinney and Elizabeth Bailey each sang a solo and then the audience left and took up the line of march to the village cemetery.

The procession under the direction of Mr. J. Howard Miner was made up of the band, a company of flower girls, a company of returned soldier and sailor boys, members of the Red Cross Society in uniform and a long line of citizens on foot and in autos The cemetery exercise consisted of a number of songs, drills and recitations by the children under the direction Miss Mary Morgan and the placing of garlands of evergreens and flowers on the graves of the soldier dead. Services closed with a brief prayer and benediction by Dr. McCullough and the call of "Taps" on the bugle by James Brown, late of the American Expeditionary Forces in France. (This celebration involved the whole town; perhaps, we in 2007 might honor our soldiers by buying a brick for the cannon base in the Stronghurst Park.)

DOUGH BOY IN U.S.: Stronghurst's real "DOUGH BOY" has arrived safely from overseas. Mrs. Bert Putney received a message stating that Bert had reached Hoboken, N.J. safe and sound. The appellation of DOUGH BOY is especially appropriate in Bert's case as he has in his capacity as baker in the army probably handled more dough than any other member of the American Expeditionary Force from Henderson County.

1894 GRAPHIC: The graduation exercises of the Stronghurst High School brought out an immense crowd only about one half were able to get inside the opera house. The salutatory was delivered by Fred Baldwin and the valedictory by Grace Slater. Other graduates were Lulu Dixson, Ida Annegers, Elma Rambo, Maggie Ross, Nettle Annegers, Claude J. Doty and Elmer Rambo. Prof. Crose of Biggsville gave the address.

1919***OBITUARY***REV. ANDREW RENWICK: Rev. Andrew Renwick, pastor of the South Henderson U.P. Church from 1875 to 1888 and who has during the past ten or twelve years lived on his farm near Gladstone, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. T.R.Ferguson at Alexis, Ill. at an early hour last Thursday morning, May 29th. His death was very sudden, being caused by heart trouble.

The deceased was born in Idaville, Ind. Oct.11, 1842, making him 76 years, 7 months and 18 days old at the time of his death. He was a student in Monmouth College at the time of the Civil War broke out and gave up his schooling to enlist in the Union Army. He returned to college after the war and graduated with the class of 1865. His first ministerial charge was at LaFayette, Ind. Later he went to Kansas and from there he came to Gladstone in 1875 and became pastor of the South Henderson Church. During his 13 years there he came to be well known, respected and loved by many in this and surrounding counties.

In July 1888 Mr. Renwick resigned the South Henderson charge and became pastor of the Alexis U.P. Church. Here he remained six years resigning in 1894 to accept the position of financial agent of Monmouth College. In 1906 he went to South Omaha, Nebr. where he preached for a few years and then retired to the farm near Gladstone, Ill. where he spent the remaining years of his life.

Rev. Renwick was married Sept.26, 1867 to Miss Lida Deanon and to this union were born five children, four of whom survive, namely: Mrs. M.W. Lorimer of Denver, Ohio; Mrs. T.R.Ferguson of Alexis, Ill.; Miss Evelyn Renwick of Chicago and Mrs. R.N.Towl of Omaha, Nebr. The mother of these children having passed away, Mr. Renwick was married in 1883 to Miss Mary M. Jamison who survives him.

Two children blessed this second union, namely: James H.Renwick, who died in 1905, and Mrs. R.M.Van Sant of Gladstone. In addition to the widow and children Mr. Renwick is survived by four half brothers, Rev. J. A. Renwick of Topeka, Kans; J.A.Renwick of Idaville, Ind.; D.Renwick of White Pigeon, Mich. and Rankin Renwick of Monticello, Ind. Funeral services were conducted at the South Henderson Church Sabbath afternoon, June 1st and interment was made in the South Henderson Cemetery.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: The potato crop prospect was perhaps never better in this locality. The Stronghurst M. E. congregation and the Stronghurst United Presbyterian Church will observe Children's Day with appropriate exercises at the churches next Sabbath morning. The Monmouth Daily Review says that thus far in the month of June the rain fall in that locality has averaged one inch a day. Such excessive rains and lack of sunshine has been injurious to the strawberry crop, causing the berries to rot before they ripen. Mrs. W.C.Walker and daughter, Mrs. Eva Burdon and family have gone to Dallas City to make their home and Mr. and Mrs. Ed Wanders will move into the house vacated on Cooper St.

Private Clyde Snodgrass of Oquawka gave a very interesting talk at the Lyric Theater last evening on his experience as a soldier in France and Belgium during the recent war. His stories of the horrible atrocities which the Germans inflicted upon the defenseless Belgian people and of which he saw the evidences were calculated to make the listener believe that the peace terms imposed upon the German nation are far too lenient. Mr. W.P.Moore of Terre Haute underwent an operation for appendicitis at the Burlington Hospital. Miss Ethel Schierbaum, having completed her term of teaching at Manhattan, Ill., has returned to her home here for the summer vacation. Get a jar of Marshmallow Creme for your cakes, pies and other pastry at Lovitt's Grocery.

Licenses recently granted by the village board of Roseville for the operation of pool rooms in that village have been revoked by village president Conlon on the ground that there is an ordinance against the operation of pool or billiard rooms on the village statute books. Carl and Elmer Nelson, two boys whose home is 3 miles east of Biggsville, have been placed under bonds for $750 to answer to the charge of stealing a large belt and other articles from Dan Lee of Biggsville. It seems that stealing is not the only offense of which the young men are suspected and that they have acquired a reputation for degeneracy in the locality in which they live. One of their favorite diversions is said to have been driving nails into pieces of belting and placing them in the road for the purpose of puncturing auto tires. Lieut. Chas. Fort, who has spent the past four months in Oklahoma City, Okla. came home yesterday. County Farm advisor Miner went to Little York to look after the loading of a car of wool. Mr. and Mrs. Sam Lant received notice of the safe arrival at Hoboken, N.J. from overseas of their son, Calvin. Miss Martha C. Armstrong, who closed her term of high school teaching here, returned to her home at Princeville, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Bert Johnson are the happy parents of a fine 9 pound daughter on May 30th; the little new comer has been named Pauline Martha. Miss Mary Hicks, who has taught during the past two years in the Ellison Valley district north of Carman, has been engaged as teacher in the intermediate department of the Biggsville public school for the coming year. Mrs. W.C. Regan entertained the girls of her Sunday school class at dinner at her home with the Misses Martha Davis, Blanche Russler, Ruth McMillan and Maxine Lovitt of the high school graduating class as guests of honor.

J.E.Hardin and wife returned from their Indiana visit after purchasing a tract of agricultural and timber land in the southern part of the state. As soon as they can collect their personal effects in Illinois and Nebraska and on the road between these two states, they intent moving to the Indiana tract and engaging in farming. Ed thinks that at the price he paid for the land, the timber on it alone will more than pay for it. T.C.Knutstrom has begun the demolition of the brick building on Broadway just south of the Santa Fe right of way and which served the community originally as a laundry and later as a grist mill. The two enterprises never flourished and the site is to be utilized for the conducting of an industry which has developed with marvelous rapidity during the past few years, namely the garage business.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: The ladies of the Red Cross will give an entertainment and banquet at the M.E. church in honor of the soldier boys who are home. The boys and their families are invited. Mr. Henry Rhoades, having sold his house and lots and had an auction of household goods, expects to go to the Green Bay Bottoms in Iowa. Miss Fannie Galbraith is in training at the Burlington Hospital. Miss Myrtle Ellis is home now resting after working steadily for the past two and a half years in S.E.Duncan's store.

***OBITUARY*** From the Albion, Nebr. Weekly, May 29, 1919: WILLIAM H.MORRIS: Mr. Morris was born in Knox County, Illinois, Jan.8, 1834. He removed to Henderson County with his parents when about four years old where they remained ten years and then moving to Rock Island County. On Nov.5, 1856 he married Miss Harriett E. Layton at Oakland, Iowa. To them were born six children, four boys and two girls, only two of whom are now living, namely, Commodore of Arvada, Colo. and Fremont of Albion, Neb. His wife died May 27, 1873 and on Jan. 30, 1875 he married Miss Mary E. Kinzer. To this union were born seven children, 5 girls and 2 boys, 3 of whom are still living in Neb. where he lived twelve years. His second wife died Nov. 20, 1907 and two years later he married Miss Rebecca A. Robbins at Gladstone, Ill. on Oct.20, 1909.

LOMAX LINGERINGS: Mrs. Mable Logan and children of Wever, Iowa, came for a visit at the W.H.Wyatt home. W. Murtland has been employed to teach the Gladstone School for the coming year. The extra gang on the Santa Fe who have been doing tack work have been transferred to LaRose, Ill. Max William, infant son of Harry and Millie Cartwright, passed away at the parental home May 27th, age four days. A short funeral service was conducted at the house with burial at LaHarpe Cemetery.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: Plenty of rain the last twenty-four hours; some of the farmers have begun cultivating their corn while others are not through plowing and planting. Most victims of the mumps are either over them or convalescing. Miss Vera Deitrick is said to be entertaining a case of the measles. Mrs. Allen Prier remains quite ill. Relatives of Corporal Calvin Lant received news that he had arrived at an Eastern port from overseas after having spent almost two years in France. Archie Lant is now in Camp Grant and will soon be honorable discharged. Mrs. James McDermitt of Oakland, Iowa, is visiting at the home of her grand daughter, Mrs. James Brewer. Wm. Marshall attended the automobile show and races at Indianapolis last week. Mr. Martin Jacobs and family of Ellison Valley have purchased a new Dort automobile. The Jamsion brothers have just returned from the south part of the state where they went to look after their land recently purchased there. The last report from George Dowell, who was so badly hurt, was that he was getting along as well as could be expected. Miss Kathern Jacobs is helping the Dowell family in their hour of need. The Burrell brothers are baling hay for Mr. Clas Carlson. A young son has arrived at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Burrell of the Hopper neighborhood. A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Bert Johnson of the Stronghurst vicinity. Mrs. Allen, who formerly was in business in Olena, was visiting her daughter, Mrs. Earl Dye; she has shipped some of her household good to Flint, Mich. where she has been living the past year. Quite a number from here attended the Decoration Day Exercises in Stronghurst and notwithstanding the extreme heat enjoyed the exercise very much.

CARMAN CONCERNS:Alvin Cargill and family and Mrs. Jeff McCannon and grandchildren and Mrs. W.H. Marsden of Burlington were here to decorate graves. Miss Mary Hicks closed a very successful term of school at Ellison Valley with a picnic at Mr. Wiliam Bigger's lawn. Messrs. Fritz and Louie Dannenburg, Charlie Kirby and Henry Jones motored to Bushnell Sunday. The Royal Neighbors will give an ice cream and strawberry social at the M.W.A.Hall Saturday night.