The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1919 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1919

Stronghurst Graphic, June 26, 1919 

THEY CRASHED! A Canadian bombing plane in which Harry Patten, a returned army aviator and his mechanic were making a flight from Chicago to Burlington, Iowa, fell at 6 o'clock Friday evening in Gust Swanson's corn field three miles east of Stronghurst and was badly wrecked, the propeller being broken off and the framework of the machine more or less smashed up.

 Patten recently purchased the plane from the Canadian government and he and his companion started on their flight about 5 o'clock Friday afternoon intending to follow the C.B. & Q. R.R. from Chicago to Burlington. The storm which came up in the evening caused them to loose their course and as their fuel supply was running low, they decided to make a landing.

They alighted safely in a clover field belonging to Roy Rankin and sent a telephone message to Raritan for gasoline. A ten gallon supply of fluid was brought out by Ed Wells and after it had been transferred to their fuel tank, the aviators prepared to resume their journey. They made a successful "take off," but when they had reached a height of 50 or 60 feet their engine stopped and the machine made a swift decent landing in the Swanson corn field. The wheels below the machine broke the force of the fall somewhat and the men escaped injury beyond a severe jolting.

Their craft was so badly damaged, however, that they decided to leave it and continue their journey by auto and rail. Fred Gray brought them to Stronghurst where they took the midnight train for home. They returned by auto on Saturday and since that time have been engaged in repairing the wrecked machine. We understand that an expert from New York is now on the scene and that as soon as the necessary new parts have been received and the plane repaired, another flight will be attempted. It is a safe conjecture that there will be a large and interested crowd of spectators present when the flight is resumed as the wrecked machine has been an object of much interest and visited by hundreds at the scene of the accident.

FINAL DISCHARGE FOR PUTNEY: Bert Putney, who after serving the commissary department of the American Army in France for more than a year, received his final discharge and arrived in Stronghurst on Santa Fe train NO. 5 last Thursday night. The news of Bert coming had gained pretty general circulation during the day and when the train pulled in at about midnight, a delegation of two or three hundred people from the village and the vicinity together with the Stronghurst band were awaiting him at the depot. A hearty and noisy demonstration greeted him as he stepped from the train and the eagerness with which the crowd pressed about him to grasp his hand was sufficient to leave no doubt in his mind as to the fact that Stronghurst was genuinely glad to welcome him home safe and sound.

28TH B.B.CLUB ANNUAL OUTING: The B.B.Club enjoyed their 28th annual outing at Clear Lake last Friday, June 20th, 38 members in attendance. They had an ideal day and enjoyed themselves hugely. They disposed of 60 lbs. of catfish and a 4 lb. baked ham besides the trimmings. Those present were Frank Crenshaw, C.E.Fort, Dr. F.M. Henderson, Geo. T. Chant, H.D.Lovitt, C.E.Peasley,; J.F.Mains, M.E.Bearsdley, T.R.Johnson, C.W.Walker, Fred Gray, D.C.Dobbin, Walter Dobbin, Thos. Dodds, William Patterson, Chas. Lind, James Sutcliff, E.F. Grandey, B. G. Widney, H. N. Vaughn and Frank Gustafson of Stronghurst; William Kaiser and Ed Starkey of LaHarpe; Carl Steingraber, Henry Black, L. Cronwell, Link Logan and Phillip Farren of Dallas City; Harry Crane, John Dowell, Claude Vaughn and Bev. Vaughn of Lomax; W.T.Weir, Walter Gridley, Geo. Rezener and J. Y. Whiteman of Biggsville; Roy Park, Chas. Pogue, and Robt. N. Clark of Media. Letters of regret were received from C.H. Lanter, Quincy, Ill., Dr. A.M.Austin, Mendon, Ill., Walter Martin, Oquawka, Ill. and Hon. Wm.J.Graham, Washington, D.C. (This organization exists today. Founded in 1891 it will be 116 years old and still having fun.)

***OBITUARY***MRS. MARY A. LOVITT: A long and useful life was terminated on June 12th, 1919 when Mrs. Mary A. Lovitt bid goodbye to this world and slipped away to be forever in mansions prepared for her in God's eternal city.

Grandma Lovitt, as she was familiarly known, was a woman of sterling worth. In the constant varying experiences of life and the perplexing cares of building and maintaining the earthly home, she never wavered nor found time to complain nor find fault. In the sunshine and in the shadows (and both were known to her) she never lost her vision of the things of true worth. And as the burden of years settled heavier and heavier until the body was broken and the strength gone, and she knew that the physical must soon go the way of all the world, yet her only concern was for her children and her friends; as for herself she found rest and peace in the promises of her God., and her faith was indeed an anchor, steadfast and sure, reaching even within the veil. Eternity alone can reveal the fruitage of this noble woman and in the other world a large company will acknowledge the power of her influence of her life of faith.

Her maiden name was Cooksey; she was born on May 30th, 1831 at Dresden, Muskingum County, Ohio and was married on Sept.7th, 1849 to William Lovitt. They moved to Henderson County, Illinois in 1855 settling on a farm. The rugged demands of pioneering were their lot and amid the meager comforts of the pioneer life they set up their hearthstone. But not all was vexation of spirit to these sturdy settlers and soon the country itself yielded bounteously until the meager surroundings gave way to the comforts of the well equipped, up to date farm home.

In 1891 they moved to Kansas, living for some years in Thomas County, later moving to Topeka. Mr. Lovitt preceded his wife in death by some five years. One son Lincoln Grant Lovitt died Feb. 17th, 1892 at Colby, Kansas. Another son, Frank S. Lovitt, came to his death on June 8th, 1919 at Kearney, Nebraska and was buried only a few days before his mother's death.

Following are the names of the children who survive, besides there are numerous other relatives and a multitude of friends: Perry T. Lovitt, Stronghurst, Ill.; L.S.Lovitt, Topeka, Kansas; Sarah E. McLimans, Hot Springs, South Dakota; George A. Lovitt, York, Neb.; Rhoda A. Rogers, Omaha, Neb.; Cynthis A. White, Topeka, Kansas; William Lovitt, New England, North Dakota and Walter R. Lovitt, Hazard Neb.

Funeral service was held at the home, 1022 Polk St., Topeka, Kansas and was conducted by Rev. A.E.Peterson, a long time friend of the family.

NAUVOO-BOOTLEGGING CENTER: Nauvoo has been having a rushing liquor trade the past few weeks; it seems that the entire dry territory within a radius of 50 miles have been shopping in Nauvoo and the proprietors of the booze parlors were kept busy dishing out the stuff that will tide the dry regime over for a number of days. Bootleggers especially have been stocking up; you can tell every one of them; they all have the same look on their faces and an officer who can't tell them is surely blind or don't want to see. Those fellows have been waxing fat in dry territory-Nauvoo Rustler

1894 GRAPHIC: The Hon. Paul D. Salter of Kirkwood became the proprietor during the week of the drugstore which had been operated by Dr. W.E.Salter in Stronghurst. H.H.Thomas had just purchased A.Main's interest in the Broadway livery stable and was extending the structure out to the street in front. A.H.Silsbee paid 46 cents per bu. for a load of oats during the week which was a few cents higher than the price being paid for wheat. Our neighboring village of Raritan was all stirred up over the arrest of one of her hitherto honored and respected citizens on the charge of defaming the character of the lady principal of the public school at that place through the medium of anonymous letters sent through the mails. Henry Wickwire, an employee on the Foote farm west of town was very seriously injured when a race horse which he was training at the Stronghurst driving park stumbled and fell with his full weight on Wickwire's body. The village school board had just engaged the following corps of teachers for the coming year: Principal-W.C.Ivins; Grammar room- Miss Flo Spangler; Intermediate-Miss Hortie Harbinson;-Primary-Miss Bessie Graham.

POWELL BARN BURNED: The barn on the Ben Powell farm, three and a half miles west of Stronghurst was consumed by fire shortly after the noon hour. The fire, which is supposed to have started in the hay mow had gained much headway before it was discovered, and the men, who were at work in the garden near the house, had barely time to liberate the four horses which were stabled there in before the structure collapsed.

The heat was so intense that Mr. Powell had his back severely blistered while getting the horses out and one of the horses had its mane and hair badly singed. Several tons of hay, a quantity of oats, two buggies and numerous other articles were included in the loss, which is well covered by insurance.

The origin of the fire is a mystery, the theory being advanced by some that the intense rays of the sun beating down upon the corrugated metal roof of the barn started a blaze in some combustible material in close proximity to it. The report came to Stronghurst that the residence, which is situated several rods north of barn site was in danger and many people went out in autos to render assistance in saving the home. It was found; however, that the prevailing of the wind had carried the sparks in an opposite direction and that there had been no serious danger of the house taking fire.

VICTIM OF FOUL PLAY: Frank S. Lovitt, brother of P.T.Lovitt of this village, met his death at Kearney, Nebr on June 8th and from information received by the brother seems to have been the victim of foul play. Little is known and another message stated that Frank had been murdered in cold blood and that no clue had been found as to the perpetrator of the deed. The victim of this tragedy was born and spent his early days in the vicinity of Terre Haute. He was the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. William Lovitt.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Joseph Walter Sebring, who has been a long sufferer from a paralytic stroke, died at the Burlington Hospital June 19, 1919. He was born at Dubuque, Iowa, April 1845 and was married in 1872 and in 1875 came to Gladstone and has resided here ever since. He had twelve children of whom eight are living. A wife, two sisters, two brothers and a number of grandchildren are also left to mourn his loss. The funeral was held at the M.E.Church with interment in South Henderson Cemetery.

Mrs. Will Fryrear and children of Memphis, Mo. are visiting Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Kemp. Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Fishell from Tivoli, Ill. visited the lady's parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Warner and family. Charles Kemp accompanied his car load of cattle and seven car loads of hogs to the Chicago market. Miss Myrtle Ellis of Oquawka is helping to care for her sister, Mrs. Chas. Babcook, who fell out of a cherry tree and was quite severely hurt, breaking an arm and hurting her back very badly. Miss Blanche Rust of Spokane, Wash. is visiting at the home of Mr. S.E.Duncan and family. Ivan Cunningham, who has been in the service overseas, came home looking fine. Oscar Johnson was given a hearty welcome when he returned from overseas. Mr. and Mrs. Fred Galbraith and daughter, Ethel, and Mr. and Mrs. Will Galbraith went to Oquawka and were taken into the Eastern Star lodge.

CARMAN CONCERNS: Mrs. William Coen entertained the following relatives at her home: Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Dixon and son Earl of Denmark, Iowa and Mrs. Charlie Lindeen of Burlington, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. T.H. Misner and children of Lincoln, Nebr. spent a few days with their uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. A.A.Runge. Mr. and Mrs. U.L. Marsden invited a few friends June 18th to help them celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary. The guests included Mr. and Mrs. M.L. Meador of Oakville, Iowa; Mr. and Mrs. William Pendry, Sr and family and Mrs. Pendry's sister, Mrs. Edna Brock of Fort Worth, Texas; Warren Persian, Ernest Putney and Miss Effie Powell, Earl Marsden and family of Lomax; Charlie Bowylou and family, Clyde Mead and family. Junior, the little son of Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Mead is carrying his arm in a sling having fallen and broke it a few days ago.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: Frank Murphy, who accompanied a shipment of Hereford cattle to Helena, Mont., arrive home; he was not very favorable impressed with the appearance of the range lands of Wyoming and Montana, which he says present almost a desert appearance because of lack of moisture. Only 19 ballots were cast in the school election to replace J.F.Mains, who had resigned. The two highest candidates, O.J.Sanderson and R.W.Upton tied so cast lots for the job with Sanderson winning. J.H.Bowen, Jr., wife and two little girls from Whitefish, Mont. are visiting his parents Mr. and Mrs. J.H.Bowen, Sr. Jay King, wife and two daughters of Des Moines, Iowa are visiting O.A.Rankin home north of Stronghurst. Mr. King formerly carried on extensive farming operations in the neighborhood southeast of here.

One of the largest and finest crops of raspberries ever grown is now maturing in this locality. O.J.Sanderson received word that his son Max is making a second trip across the Atlantic in the transport service. Max had been located at the Naval Fuel Supply Depot at Bayonne, N.J. Quite a number from this area attended the big Masonic celebration at Monmouth. The heavy rains of the preceding night put the roads in a terrible condition and also made it impossible for the army airplane which had been advertised for a flight to get away from Chanute Field at Rantoul, Ill.

Bert Cogswell, who works for Wm Reedy, southeast of here had an ankle broken when a tree which he was cutting down on the old W.H.Penny farm fell against a wind mill toppling it over in such a way as to catch Cogswell beneath the wheel. The large barn on the Bailey farm west of Raritan was struck by lightning during Saturday's storm and set on fire up in the gable. The destruction of the building was prevented by the strenuous efforts of C.R.Kerfoot, the hired man, and Mrs. Bailey. The former climbed up the inside of barn with a bucket of water which he threw on the fire; Mrs. Bailey then threw him a rope by means of which he drew up other buckets which she filled and soon had the blaze extinguished.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: The ravages of the army worm in this vicinity have, after all, not been great and the pests seem to be rapidly disappearing. The farmers are, however, now somewhat concerned over the fact that the wheat heads have been affected by scab which has interfered with proper filling and which it is believed will materially shorten the yield.

Mr. and Mrs. J.E.Harden have been busy as bees during the past few days gathering their scattered possessions and loading them in a car for shipment to their new home at Shoals, Ind. They have about completed the task and are preparing to take their departure by auto today.