The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1919 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1919

Stronghurst Graphic, September 4, 1919 

VISIT CRUSHER PLANT: Last Monday was visitors' day at the site of the Monmouth Stone Co's crushing plant near Gladstone. Mr. H.E.Bilger, chief engineer of the new company and a number of the officers and incorporators were present to explain to visitors the details of the project and answer questions in regards to the practically unlimited supply of limestone rock which is available for the plant and to be converted into fertilizer, road material and building stone. . . A number of tractor outfits were at work excavating and grading the preparation for the erection of the crushing plant and visitors were told that something over a 100 men would soon be at work on the site. Visitors from this vicinity who were present were B.G.Widney, I.F.Harter, Wm. Hartquist, E.D.Rankin, A. H. Kershaw, Russell Brooks, C. E. Lant and possible one or two others.

***OBITIUARY*** MRS. FRED JOHNSON DEAD: Mrs. Fred Johnson passed away at her home three and a half miles south and a half mile east of Stronghurst Wednesday morning after a prolonged illness. She leaves a husband and two children and a brother and sister in this country, and parents and brother and sister in Sweden. Funeral services will be conducted at the Stronghurst Lutheran Church.

1894 GRAPHIC: Chalmer Salter came down from Kirkwood to take a position in the Servatius Drugstore. The congregation of the Christian church had just closed a contract with A. Struble of Raritan for the erection of a new house of worship. The Stronghurst schools opened with an enrollment of 172 pupils. Mrs. Rev. Hood (formerly Mrs. John Bruen), daughter of Judge Preston Martin of Biggsville, died at her home in Galesburg on Sept. 5th. Nineteen towns in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota were wiped out by forest fires during the preceding week, the loss of life being over 300 with $12,000,000 in property.

CELEBRATION AT OAK GROVE FARM HONORS HEROES: In a big public demonstration, Henderson County paid tribute to her living and dead heroes of the late world war last Thursday at Oak Grove Farm. The celebration was held under the management of the Henderson County War Service League and marked the end of the league's faithful and loyal service as an organization.

An ideal and central location for holding the celebration and almost perfect weather conditions were features which contributed to the success of the affair. While there have been perhaps but few occasions in the history of the county when a larger number of people were assembled, the hopes of those who planned the celebration were not fully realized in the matter of attendance. More would have been present if the affair had been given wider publicity by means of poster and newspaper advertisement. While this and adjoining counties gave considerable space to preliminary write-ups, the publicity committee of the league did not seem to consider it necessary to use display space in the papers nor large poster advertising as a means of attracting people to the celebration. (Newspaper editor was in the business of selling space and printing posters so probably was giving a bias opinion.)

A conservative estimate of people in attendance would be between five and six thousand. Something over 600 auto parking checks were issued while there were perhaps as many more autos which were not parked on the grounds.

The program for the day was carried out in a highly satisfactory manner and every one present seemed to enter into the spirit of the occasion. A registration booth had been provided and each soldier or sailor who registered was presented with a silver signet ring to serve as a memento of the occasion. Gold signet rings were also presented to the next of kin of the boys from the county who laid down their lives while in their country's service. A souvenir program booklet containing the "Honor Roll" of the county and an admission ticket to the play which was staged in the evening also was presented to the veterans.

The day's program began at 11 o'clock with music by the Stronghurst band. Judge J.W.Gordon, chairman of the day, followed with a short speech of welcome. More music and an exhibition drill by the Oquawka Boy Scout troop under the command of Rev. Sailor concluded the morning program. An old fashioned picnic dinner was enjoyed at noon and at 2 p.m. the crowd was again summoned by band music to the natural amphitheatre facing speaker's stand. A double quartette from Gladstone, dressed in costume, opened the afternoon exercises after which Circuit Clerk John Lugg of Monmouth delivered a brief address on the American Legion. More music by some Terre Haute people followed and County Chairman Ivins of the War Service League made a brief address in which he stated that the expenses of the celebration including the cost of the souvenirs presented to the veterans had been assumed by the league and urged it a the patriotic duty of every one present to assist in returning this amount by purchasing a ticket for the play which was to be put on in the evening.

Chairman Gordon then introduced the principal speaker for the day, Ex-Governor and present Congressman, Richard Yates. The speaker, whose reputation as an orator is very extensive, was at his best on this occasion. . .Following his address the people enjoyed several hours of visiting previous to the closing event, the presentation of the play, "Sergeant Jim" by a company of Stronghurst talent. Over 1,000 tickets had been sold and the performance was thoroughly enjoyed by the immense audience.

Probably 300 uniformed soldiers and sailors from the county present at the celebration were registered during the day. The committee, however, purchased enough souvenir rings to furnish one to each of the veterans in the county and also one to each Red Cross nurse who served during the war. Those who were not present will receive their rings just the same.

NEIGHBORHOOD NOTES: A farm of 135 acres and eighteen business and residence properties in LaHarpe belonging to the estate of the late J.M. Campbell were sold at public auction for $46,885. LaHarpe's Chaut-auqua closed with a slight deficit which will be covered by the promoters, but this fact was not allowed to deter them for launching a project for an assembly next year. Sharon H. Dixon, village marshal of New Boston, Ill. was found dead in his auto near that place; circumstances surrounding the case seem to point to murder. Twenty-six cars of fruit were wrecked on the Santa Fe R.R. near Wyaconda, Mo. The fruit is said to have been piled up as high as a house and many wagon loads were carted away by the natives. Lee Heller, a Raritan youth, is languishing in jail at Oquawka charged with the theft of a Ford car belonging to Jake Waymack of Raritan. He is also wanted by the Iowa authorities for stealing a Ford car belonging to Irving Thompson of Mediapolis, Ia. The Way-mack car was stolen at Monmouth, Ill. and the Thompson car at Burlington, Ia. The largest land sale in the history of Knox County, the 1551 acres belonging to the estate of W.H.Reynolds, sold at the court house in Galesburg for $395,500. The land was first put up in eight separate tracts and then the entire property was put up and bid in by Mrs. A.E. Werts and Frank Reynolds, two of the heirs to the estate.

***OBITUARY***DAVID BARRY: David Barry, a well known and highly respected citizen of Henderson County whose home was in the northeast corner of Raritan Township, died from heart failure last Saturday afternoon at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J.B.Smithwick at Wood River, Nebr. where he was visiting. The remains arrived at the home of the deceased last Monday evening and funeral services were conducted at St. Patrick's chapel northeast of Raritan. Interment of the remains was made in the St. Patrick's Cemetery.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: Rev. Russell returned from the Evanston Biblical Institute and delivered an interesting sermon to his congregation Sabbath afternoon. Grant White's threshing machine with its complement of men finished up threshing in this neighborhood the first of the week. The social given in Olena for raising funds for sidewalk crossings was quite well attended and $30 was cleared making a sum of $80 now in the treasury for that purpose. The Olena School opened with Miss LaVelle as teacher. Miss Milligan began her term in the Heisler district, Miss Burrell in the South Prairie school, Miss Shaw in the Evans district and Miss Lefler in the Marshall district. Mr. Morgan and wife are preparing to build a house on land west of the village which he recently purchased. Mr. and Mrs. Lovitt and family of Chillicothe, Ill. and Arthur Biddenstatt of Flint, Mich. were recent guests of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Dye.

BURRELL REUNION-The ninth annual reunion of the descendents of Sylvester Burrell was held at the Charles Lant home two miles east of Olena. A special feature of the occasion was a miscellaneous shower given in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Will Carman of Morning Sun, Ia(newly weds). Mrs. Carman is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Montgomery of Colorado and a grand-daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sylvester Burrell. A most beautiful repast was served at the noon hour on the lawn and very social time enjoyed by those present. Following is a list of those in attendance: Mr. and Mrs. Herman Burrell and daughter, Miss Irma; Mr. and Mrs. Dan Burrell; Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Burrell and babe; Mrs. Irving Burrell and daughter; Calvin Lant, wife and babe; Miss Georgetta, Miss Eva and Floyde Burrell; Joseph Marsden and family, all of the Olena neighborhood; Mr. and Mrs. Ross Lant of Burlington, Ia.; Mrs. Helen Burrell and family of Strong-hurst; Mr. Chalmer Perdue and family of Olena; Mr. and Mrs. August Hagan and son of Monmouth; Mr. and Mrs. James Brown and family of Kirkwood; Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Logan and family of Gladstone; Mr. and Mrs. John Gibb and family of Biggsville; Leslie Perdue and children; Mr. and Mrs. Earl Adair and children and Mrs. Veda Rankin of Biggsville; Mr. Homer Palmer of Media; Mr. Carl Goldberg of Kirkwood and Mr. Archie Lant of Stronghurst.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Prof. Harry C. Black-stone, who visited at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Taylor Gal-braith, returned to North Henderson where he will teach school this winter. Mr. Frank Jacob went to Chicago where he will take treatment. Prof. Murel of Carman moved into Sam Stevenson's house and will make it his home for the coming year. Mrs. Len Ditto went to Kansas City sight-seeing and on business. Guy Parkins has his honorable discharge and is visiting his friend, Robert Galbraith. Guy was with the famous Rainbow Division in France. Mr. and Mrs. H. Whittaker had a call from the stork which left them a fine baby girl.

CARMAN CONCERNS: Mrs. William Coen sold her property to Mr. Wm. Finch, consideration $900. It formerly belonged to the late A. Babcook and wife. Kenneth Hupp of LaHarpe will spend the winter here with his uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Will Lightner, and attend school. Miss Joy Digger of Dallas City has been employed to teach the Kirby School this term. Rev. Bon Johnson and wife left for their new field of labor in Fresno, Cal. Rev. Johnson and his wife (Minnie Barrett) Johnson occupied the M.E. Pulpit here Sunday and Monday night. Misses Marie and Ida Pearl Rehling started to Lomax School Monday and their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Rehling, are going to move back there this week.

MEDIA MEANDER-INGS: A new chimney is being built on the village hall. Both the Academy and public school opened there this week. Miss Arminda Clark is principal of the public school and Miss Furr of Kirkwood the primary room. The Academy has three teachers this year. Mr. Spruit, who was principal last year has been employed this year. The term opened with 24 pupils, the largest number for some time. It is reported that Media will have electric lights again the latter part of the week. Mr. Rodin Fee and Charles E. Pendarvis spent the week at the Galesburg Fair in the interest of the Lewis Seed Co. Miss Opal White is teaching the Rankin School south of town. Miss Anna LaVelle will teach the Olena School. Miss Grace Hickman was a passenger to Stronghurst Tuesday. (Trains stopped in each town and were a major form of transportation.)

LOMAX LINGER-INGS: The Economy Mfg. Co. is installing their machinery this week. L.M. Neff returned home after spending three weeks in the Dakotas. Harry Sparrow returned home from Canada after spending the summer there; he was not favorable impressed with the country. Ray Smiddy and wife have moved to the Ot Rice farm. Robt. Scott of the south country will hold a public sale Sept. 10th giving up farming entirely. The old has been razed to the ground and Gus Nixon, who purchased the site, will erect a modern bungalow there. This closes the history of one of Lomax's landmarks the church having been erected in the early "70's.

BIG AMUSEMENT COMPANY REHEARSING HERE: Mr. Wm Wamsher has been here for something over a week conducting drills and rehearsals by his company of between 30 and 40 people which opens up at the Lyric next Saturday night with their big musical comedy, "Honolulu Lou." The company will go from here to Fort Madison. Judging from the appearance and rehearsal work, they are evidently destined to make a decided hit on the road in their presentation of the humorous production. The cast abounds with pretty girls and clever comedians and dancers; the performance should appear to a big majority of theater goers.

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Messers. C.R.Kaiser and C.H.Curry are enjoying a short vacation in Texas the southwest. Mrs. Mae Hunter visited her father, T.J.Hunter, at the sanatorium in Peoria where he is taking treatment. Mr. and Mrs. C.H.Davis and daughter Martha, Elmer Davis and A.J.Davis left in the latter's touring car for a vacation of a month in Colorado and other western states. Mr. and Mrs. C.M.Bell and son in company with their grandmother, Mrs. Hettie McLain and her brother and sister, Mr.and Mrs. A.D. Armstrong, motored to Kirkwood Sunday evening where they enjoyed a pleasant visit with their cousins, Mr. and Mrs. W.D.Arm-strong and family, eating watermelon and talking over old times. Miss Marie Mudd began a teaching term in the Raritan public school. Rudyard Kershaw returned from Camp Roosevelt, Mich. where he took military training for eight weeks. B.L.Tucker and family went by auto to the Iowa State Fair at Des Moines. C.E. Fort has a force of men and teams at work constructing a dam for the formation of another pond just north of Lake Fort, Stronghurst' popular summer resort. John B. Fort, who was attached to the Signal Corps of the Third Div. of the American Army of Occupation in Germany arrived safely in Stronghurst. John says that the German girls in Coblentz cried some when the boys left, but that the U.S. and Stronghurst looks pretty good to him. Mrs. Elizabeth Mc-Millan, Mrs. Sarah Graham, Mr. Thos. Milligan and J.F. McMillan returned from a two week visit with relatives at Winterset, Ia., the journey made in the McMillan car. A family reunion and dinner in which 40 relatives participated was enjoyed at the Eber Duff home near Winterset. L.E. McAnderes of Dallas City has accepted a position with the E.R.Grandy store here.

J.Hower Miner and family returned from a 1360 mile auto trip through Illinois, Indiana and Michigan. The Stronghurst schools opened with an enrollment of 84 pupils in the high school department and about 125 in the grades. Mr. and Mrs. Dan Warren moved their household goods back to their old home at Swan Creek, Mr. Warren having given up his position as manager of the Farmer Grain and Mdse. Co. here. His son George was given his position and will move his family here from Galesburg.