The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1919 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1919

Stronghurst Graphic, May 14, 1919 

WINS TRIANGULAR: Stronghurst High School finished an easy winner in the meet of the "triangular" league composed of the high schools of Dallas City, LaHarpe and Stronghurst held on the Dallas City field. A large crowd turned out to watch Stronghurst's team accumulate 52 points; LaHarpe had 38 and Dallas City 18. Every Stronghurst team member won a place in the met. McKeown made 15 points by winning first place in the shot put and discus and tying for first in the high jump and taking third in the 440 yard dash. Kirby made a total of 10 points by taking first in the pole vault, tying for first in the high jump and taking third in the discus. Ford succeeded in making 10 points by winning first in both the 880 yard run and the javelin throw. Regan won first in the 100 yard dash and third in the javelin. Adair finished second in the 440 and third in the 880 yard runs. Putney made two points by winning third in the running board jump and third in the 50 yard dash. Jaggers took third in the pole vault and Burrell third in the 220 yard dash. The relay race was won by the Stronghurst team by a good margin; the team being composed of Putney, Adair, Burrell and McKeown.

The literary pennant also went to Stronghurst with Miss Esther Lind winning first place while Harold Bainter was awarded second place.

1894 GRAPHIC: At the close of the tabernacle service held by the Christians a congregation of 24 members was organized. A company for the purpose of constructing a wagon bridge across the Mississippi was organized in Burlington and included a number of Eastern capitalists. Frank Crenshaw became the owner of the D.G.Ragan residence in this village. Sam Carothers was building a 16 x 20 addition to his photograph gallery in the village. Harry Ingersoll and Z.T.Butler were preparing to establish a second cigar factory in Stronghurst. T.N.Harden had just leased the Raritan opera house and was preparing to go into business. An exciting game of baseball between Stronghurst and Raritan teams was played here . Noted was the exceeding generosity of the Raritan boys which enabled the local team to score 74 runs to their 18.

JOYOUS WEDDING BELLS: The lives and fortunes of two of the community's best known and most popular young people were united last Thursday evening, May 8th, when Guy Sanderson and Miss Mabel Jones pledged their mutual love, faith and honor at the marriage altar. The happy event was celebrated in the presence of about 40 of the immediate relatives and intimate friends of the young people at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. A.E.Jones. The home had been decorated with a color scheme of pink and white. At the hour of 8 o'clock the officiating clergyman, Rev. K.R.Anderson, followed by Miss Marjorie Thompson and Miss May Dixson descended the stairway leading to the west parlor of the home. In the bay window arch decorated with pink and white roses, carnations and ferns had been erected. Miss Dixson took her place at the piano and accompanied Miss Thompson as the latter sang "At Dawning" by Calmus. Then the pianist struck up the wedding march from Mendelssohn and the two candidates for the marriage vows came down the stairway and took their places beneath the arch. Little LaVerna Jones, the four year old sister of the bride, advanced to a position in front of the couple bearing a cushion upon which rested the ring with which the groom would pledge his faithfulness during the impressive wedding ceremony conducted by the clergyman.

The bride was attired in a charming costume of white satin trimmed with silk lace and wore a veil caught up with a tuft of Lilies of the Valley. She also carried a beautiful shower bouquet of white roses. The groom was costumed in the prevailing mode for occasions of this character.

Following the ceremony a delicious three-course wedding supper was served by Misses Merna Vaughn, Helen Morse, Margurite Wheeling and Grace Chandler, former classmates of the bride. Later in the evening an awaiting automobile conveyed Mr. and Mrs. Sanderson to Burlington where they boarded a train for Chicago expecting to spend a short honeymoon in that city.

Both the bride and groom have spent their entire lives in this vicinity and are graduates of the Stronghurst High School, the groom finishing the course with the class of 1916 and the bride graduating with the class of 1917. The education of the latter was completed at Oxford College in Ohio. The groom is the second son of Mr. O.J.Sanderson and is associated with his father for the past year or two in the management of the latter's fine farm adjoining this village.

Both the young people are members of the and have been active in the Young people's work therein. Both enjoy the respect and esteem of numberless friends who will join in the most sincere wishes for their future happiness and success in life. They will make their home in the commodious house on the Sanderson farm just south of this village.

Guests from a distance present at the wedding were Mrs. J.W.Murphy of Good Hope, Ill.; Miss Yeast of Hamilton, Ill.; Mrs. Veva Harmes of Logansport, Ind.; Miss Iva Kirkpatrick of Roseville, Ill.; Miss Verdi Decker of Bluffton, Ind.; Miss Helen Morse of Galesburg, Ill. and Mrs. Howard Thomas of Chicago.

LAWN SOCIAL: A lawn social will be held at the home of Louis Enwall, 3 miles southeast of Stronghurst, Saturday, Mary 17th under the auspices of the Martha Society of the Lutheran Church. Refreshments will be served.

NEIGHBORHOOD NOTES: Horace Bigelow, pioneer newspaper publisher of Mercer County, friend of Abraham Lincoln and honored citizen of Aledo passed away at his home in that city on May 7th, aged 84 years. Mr. Bigelow learned the printer's trade in Oquawka where he worked on the "Spectator" under the direction of Col. J.B. Patterson. The management of the Biggsville Light Co. has arranged with the Public Service plant of Monmouth to furnish "juice" for the local plant, which will mean continuous electrical service for the citizens of Biggsville.

Contracts have just been let for the erection of a fine grade and high school building in the village of Avon, Fulton County. The building will be of cut stone and equipped in a thoroughly modern style. The new Township high school at Mendon, Ill, is to be dedicated on May 16th. The Fulton and McDonough County boards of supervisors have passed resolutions asking for the repeal of the "Daylight Saving" law.

There are 24 applicants for the Monmouth postmastership made vacant by the recent resignation of postmaster Clendenning. The high stage of water in the Mississippi is causing great uneasiness to the residents of the drainage district in the vicinity of Quincy, breaks in the levee having already occurred at one or two points. The levees are patrolled night and day.

An organization of LaHarpe citizens has been formed to take over and operate the opera house, which has been closed for several years. At a mass meeting of the citizens of LaHarpe it was decided to make an organized effort to secure the erection of a hospital in that city under the provisions of the will of the Late Mary F. Davier, who left an estate valued at $26,000(that would equal $337,220 today.)

The trial of Fern Reynolds for complicity with her husband in the murder of their infant child last summer was begun at Fort Madison last Monday and is attracting a large crowd of spectators. The husband was convicted in a trial last year and is now serving a penitentiary term. Mrs. Samuel Cass, a 91 year old lady of LaHarpe died this week as the result of burns received when her clothing caught fire when she was attempting to light a lamp. Her son, Cal, was away from home when the accident occurred. Roscoe M. Phillips of Macomb was electrocuted when he accidentally touched the top of a transformer which he was painting for the Central Service Co. of Macomb thus coming in contact with a wire carrying 3300 volts.

Nauvoo strawberry growers are advertising for pickers in help harvesting their crop. Four Montrose youths borrowed a Ford car one day without the owner's consent and drove to Keokuk where the machine was stolen. The boys were arrested, given a six months jail sentence and required to purchase a new car for the owner.

GLAD-STONE GLEANINGS: James Thomas is home after being honorably discharged from the army. He had been overseas in France for months. Raymond Babcook of Galesburg is visiting his grandmother, Mrs. Nancy Ellis. Greeny Jacob and Clayton James are building a house on Dr. Ditto's farm in the Green Bay Bottoms. An Anti-Saloon League lecture will be given by Rev. Peacock of Monmouth at the U.P.Church. George Jacob, son of Elmer Jacob, has been taken to the Burlington Hospital with little hopes of recovery.

CARMAN CONCERNS: Elmer Cartwright has purchased a new Chevrolet car. Miss Mary Seigworth received word that her brother Fred is in Camp Grant and expects to be home soon. Geo. Marsden is spending the week at the Chester Gibb home near Biggsville. Mr. and Mrs. Joe Marsden and children of Olena visited the G.W.Howell home. School closed Friday and the teachers, Mr. and Mrs. Lightener, have returned to their home at LaHarpe.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Staley are the proud parents of a young son born on May 10th. Howard Thomas just returned from France where he served in a base hospital unit from Chicago during the last year of the war; he is visiting the home of his uncle, A.E.Jones and family. Frank Lauber, who has been in the employ of the Stronghurst Grain and Mdse. Co. since his return from France, has accepted a position as manager of a farmers' grain, lumber and coal company at LaFayette, Ill. He was replaced by Roland Davidson. Mrs. C.L.Shain and daughter Harriet of Dallas City are visiting Mr. and Mrs. G.Q.Fort while Mr. Shain is attending a dentists' convention in Peoria. Mr. and Mrs. H.B.Fort and Miss Ida Davis were at Raritan looking after the erection of a monument in the cemetery in honor of the late Wm. Davis, the father of the two ladies. F.A. Lebeck has purchased the 80 acres in Sec.36 of Terre Haute Township formerly belonging to R.B.Givens estate at a price of $275 per acres.($3,566.75 in today's values).

The many friends of Mrs. Martha Reynolds will regret to learn that she is seriously ill at Lacona, Ia., where she has been making her home for the past year. Mrs. Albert Smith and her son, Will J. Lazear of Belleville, Ill, mother and brother of Foster Lazear, are visiting him this week. Will J. Lazear has just returned from France where he was a member of Machine Gun Bat'l. No. 130 of the 35th Div, one of the units actively engaged in the Argonne campaign.

Wm. N. Boden, who has resided continuously in the village of Oquawka since 1858 passed away at the home of his son at the age of 82 years. Atty. W.C.Ivins of Stronghurst and Judge J.W.Gordon of Oquawka have each been awarded a German helmet by the government in recognition of the faithful and efficient services they rendered in the various branches of war work at home to which they have devoted much of their time during the past two years.

MEDIA MEANDER-INGS: John Gibson went to Detroit where he entered an automobile school. Clyde Stansberry's new home in the west part of town is nearly completed. John Suydam is having his house shingled. Little Vincent Leinbach, who was seriously sick with pneumonia, is slowly recovering. Mr and Mrs. E.E. South moved from Bessie Pendarvis' house into the United Presbyterian parsonage