The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
SMITH CREEK CONGREGATION: In 1858 the two branches of the Presbyterian Church united to form the United Presbyterian Church and so did the Smith Creek congregation and the Reformed Congregation of Smyrna thus becoming the United Presbyterian Church of Smith Creek with Rev. Samuel Millen as their first pastor and continuing for 15 years. He was followed Rev. R.E.Wilkin who in 1882 resigned on account of failing health.
During its active period the church built three different houses of worship: the first in 1849, the second in 1857 and the third, a small but neat and substantial frame structure capable of seating 200 persons, erected in 1881. Later the congregation decided to dissolve and the building and property were sold.
1911 History of Henderson County