The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
In 1911 Henderson County had the only county jail located out of the county seat.
It took an act of the General Assembly in 1859 to allow the jail to be located in the basement of the almshouse about a mile and half from Oquawka.
The poor farm was purchased by the county in 1855 and in 1911 was worth about $100 per acre.
1911 History of Henderson County