The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Oquawka Methodist Church: After some years of worship in private houses and in the schoolhouse in town.
The Revs. Frank Chafey, Urial Giddings, William Haney and John P. Brooks labored with the church in the early years.
Later when the Methodist Society numbered about 50 in 1856 and was meeting in the courthouse, they decided to build a large brick edifice, 44x 46 feet at an expense of $4,462.54.
The church prospered and at one time numbered 180. Two bad storms, the last being in 1872, demolished the building, but they persevered and rebuilt.
1911 History of Henderson County