The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
In Oquawka the pioneer preacher of the Baptist faith was Father Hovey, a native of West Virginia. Here he labored until he died and was buried 6 miles southeast of Oquawka(His grave does not appear in any cemetery so he may have been buried on his farm.) In 1859, the congregation was holding meetings in the courthouse under the care of Elder S.J.Ives.
In 1862 they moved to Allen's Hall and the next year to McKinney's Hall. In 1870 a large edifice was constructed at a cost of $5,550. The building was well furnished with stained glass windows, the largest bell in town and an organ.
The leading subscribers to its erection were J.E.Bosler, Mrs. Robert Moir, Benjamin Harrington, Frisble Sloan, John Nicol, Robert Moir, James Musgrove, Lewis Duke, James Duke, Lewis Duke, Jr., J.H.Zeigler, James A. Caswell, Hiram Rose, R.T. Pence, Drs. S.H.Ruple, C. Park and Milligan.
1911 History of Henderson County