The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1919 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1919

Stronghurst Graphic, Feb. 13, 1919 

1919 SOLD HARNESS BUSINESS: George T. Chant, who has been engaged in the harness business for many years, closed a deal to disposed of the business to Mr. J.B. Huppert, who was formerly engaged in business at Carman. Mr. Huppert has recently been employed at the Rock Island Arsenal and since leaving there has been seeking a location where he might engage again in the harness business. The work of invoicing the stock is now in progress.

SECONDARY HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE REVIVED: The prospects of the track and field meets and literary contests between the secondary high schools of Warren and Henderson Counties will be revived after the interruption caused by the war and that the annual event will be held this spring. The annual meeting of the Bi-County Association was held at the Colonial Hotel in Monmouth and officers elected as follows: Pres., P. F. Grove, Kirkwood; V.-Pres., J.K. Spence, Stronghurst; Sec-Treas., M. P. Wilkins, Roseville. The place for holding the spring meet was not decided upon, but either Roseville, Biggsville or Kirkwood will probably be selected.

MORE SOLDIERS HOME: Ed Logan, Harry Ballard and Ed Wanders, who were members of the 3rd Anti-air craft battalion in France and who were retained after the other boys of the battalion from this community had left Fort-de-Stains to assist in the final cleaning up work, are home. They arrived home just 3 weeks from the time they left France, going to Camp Grant and getting their discharge. Wilbur Fordyce, Hal Corley and Earl Van Doren, who have been in training camps in this country were also discharged at Camp Grant and accompanied the boys home.

SOLD AT RECORD PRICE: A new high mark for farm land in this vicinity was reached when R.E.Morse disposed of his fine 160 acre farm one and a half miles southwest of Stronghurst to R.N.Marshall for $45,000 or 281.25 per acres. (That $45,000 would cost $553,467 today.) Mr. Morse purchased this farm a number a years ago at $12, 800. He has purchased a farm close to the city of Galesburg and will move there with his family within a short time.

FERGUS-TUCKER: On Feb. 13th at the home of Rev. Farer, pastor of the Christian Church at Burlington, Iowa, Miss Bernice Tucker, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B.L.Tucker of Stronghurst was united in marriage with Mr. Merle Fergus, a prosperous young farmer of Bussay, Iowa. The bride, who was a senior student nurse in a hospital of Oskaloosa, Ia., has a large circle of friends here.

LETTER FROM LLOYD WHITEMAN: Mr. and Mrs. William Whiteman had not received a letter for four months from their son until yesterday. On Sept 18th he left Camp Merritt for France. While on board ship, he was sick with the influenza and upon arrival taken to a base hospital#65. He was in frail health when he left home and after getting to the hospital, he took double pneumonia. He recovered from this and was up and around for a few days when he took spinal meningitis. As soon as he was able, he wrote his family, which was the letter they have just received. He thought he would be sent home soon.

His parents had tried every way to find out where he was, but he had been transferred out of the company with which he went to France and the captain was unable to locate him. They tried through friends and relatives over there with no success; they appealed to the Red Cross and had sent a cablegram after hearing from a former commanding officer. Needless to say, they are much relieved to have his letter.

***OBITUARY*** Through Mr. Chas. Lant information concerning the death of Mrs. William Turner in Cowley County, Kansas on Dec. 2nd was obtained. She was the widow of William Turner, who formerly owned the farm now belonging to Henry Annegers on which A.H.Nelson resides. Mrs. Turner lived to the ripe old age of 93 years. She was a sister of Miss Elizabeth Andrews of Olena and of Mrs. Nancy Carothers, mother of S.W. Carothers of Dallas City.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: Miss Juliette Wheeling has taken a position as bookkeeper at the Dixson hardware and implement store. Bring your boy or hired man to the Tractor School and let him learn the care and operation of gas engines and tractors. County Farm Advisor Miner went to the northern part of the county where he will hold a number of meetings in school houses at which he will give talks on farming and stock raising, illustrating the same with stereoptican views and charts. The condition of Ed Bowen, who is at a training camp in Alabama where he suffered a severe attack of typhoid fever, is such as to cause considerable apprehension on the parts of relatives and friends. His mother, Mrs. James Bowen, and his sister, Nellie, have gone to see him.

Rev. K.R. Anderson arrived home from the hospital in Clarinda, Iowa considerable improved in health. Mrs. Minnie Peterson, who has been making her home at Seymore, Iowa for the past year, returned to Stronghurst. Mr. and Mrs. H.M.Allison and Mr. and Mrs. A.C.Allison left for Hot Springs, Ark. where they will spend the remainder of the winter.

Mrs. Mary Negley of Terre Haute recently suffered a severe back injury when she fell to the floor while washing dishes; she is recovering slowly. The women of the will hold a tea in the church basement. Mrs. Jas. Hicks, Mrs. Will Ross, Mrs. Ivins, Mrs. Chas. Davis, Mrs. Widney and Mrs. Newt Vaughan will serve. Lieut. Ney M. Salter surprised his friends by dropping in; he had been granted a two week furlough from his duties at Camp Fremont, California and came East to see his wife and baby who have been visiting relatives at Chillicothe.

LOMAX LINGERINGS: Mrs. Mary Bradley returned from Lone Tree, Iowa where she attended a funeral of a cousin. A family dinner was given at the Jasper Logan home Sunday. W.Q. Crane attended a postmasters' convention in Springfield. Mrs. Ethel Vaughan was taken to the Burlington hospital. Robert Crane's son had the pleasure of entertaining the red measles; George was placed under quarantine for 15 days but is about well.

CARMAN CONCERNS: Thayer Williamson is improving after an operation at the Burlington hospital. Mrs. Roberts has moved back from Chillicothe, Ill. to keep house for her son Arthur in the Babcook property in the north part of town. Mr. Willard Hazen and wife of Wellfleet, Nebraska, came to visit his uncle, U.L. Marsden and family. Sale of Jim Pendry, Sr. was well attended; he has rented his farm and will soon move to Iowa. Mr. George Marsden met with an accident while in the woods. He was descending a tree and when about 10-12 feet from the ground fell on the ice on his knees. It is not known if he broke any bones and the doctor could not tell because of the swelling; he has suffered terrible.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: Mrs. Margaret Peyton is home after nursing flu patients in Monmouth, Biggsville and Gladstone. Mr. and Mrs. Norvell of Clarinda, Ia. are visiting their many relatives in Illinois. Mrs. Geo. Detrick has decided not to break up housekeeping and her son Roscoe has bought property in the village. Mr. White of Mexico, Mo. has purchased the Arthur McKeown home. A few Olenaites attended a dance Saturday night at the Dalton home at Carthage Lake. Glen Carlson was so unfortunate to get his right hand badly scalded from a car radiator. He was able, however, to resume his studies at Stronghurst High School.

On Jan.23rd about 30 neighbors and friends of Mr. and Mrs. Anders, who reside on the John Brook place, gave this worthy couple quite a surprise by way of reminding them of their 18th wedding anniversary. Light refreshments were served and a social time enjoyed. The couple was presented with a nice rocker as a remembrance of the happy occasion. Mr. Jess Hicks and wife have rented their farm to their two sons, John and Frank; they expect to locate either in Stronghurst or Oquawka. Mr. and Mrs. Howard Francis will soon be located in a new home of the Allen Annegers farm where Mr. Francis has employment.

Feb. 5th about 40 neighbors and friends of Mr. and Mrs. Will Hicks swooped down on the couple's home to celebrate their 18th wedding anniversary. The couple had warning and had fled. The group entered the home and by use of the telephone located the couple in Oquawka. When they arrived home, they found a steaming hot dinner and a host of jolly friends to welcome them. A valentine social will be held Friday evening at the Cooper home east of the village. All ladies are requested to bring a valentine.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: The Academy principal of the high school department is Lieut. Lukeman and Mr. W.M.Spruit has been employed as principal of the Academy. Both young men are very well educated and capable teachers; both have had the advantage of training in officer's training camps during the last year or so.

A commercial club is being organized in town with a view to take advantage of some of the town's opportunities improving the place for business and homes. Last Saturday evening a party was held in the Academy auditorium for the returned soldiers-ten young men were joined by nearly a hundred other people for a evening of playing various games and enjoying refreshments of ice cream and cake. George Sutton left for West Point, Virginia to see his father who has been very sick. Mrs. Harry Moore and daughter of Colorado came for an extended stay at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Riggs. Corporal Rodin Fell is visiting friends; he recently returned from France and was numbered among the seriously wounded. A large force of men and women have been working at the seed house. Quite a number of young people attended the dance at Raritan one night last week.