The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1919 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1919

Stronghurst Graphic, Feb. 6, 1919 

MID-WINTER CHAUTAUQUA: Better farming, better homes, a better community life and better citizenship will be realized from the Agricultural Extension Department of the International Harvester Co. holding of two day Chautauquas throughout the country. The people of this vicinity were privileged to enjoy one last Monday and Tuesday listening to splendid talks on topics of vital importance given by specialist in their field. (Long articles details speakers and their subjects. The chautauqua brought education and culture to rural communities)

LETTER FROM ARCHIE LANT: Mr. andMrs. G.E. Lant received two letters from Corp. Archie C. Lant who is a member of Co.F 107 Supply Train in Europe. In the first letter he was in Luxembourg and said he was working about as hard since hostilities ceased as before. The second letter found him in Rhenish, Prussia and stated that the boys had just received their Christmas boxes from home. The weather was warm and pleasant making it possible to go about in shirt sleeves. He says all the boys are hoping to be sent home soon. He speaks of a German helmet which he sent as a souvenir from the war zone of France and expresses the hope that they will soon get another in the shape of himself, safe, sound and hearty.(In this issue is a long letter from Sergt. Roy Lease, a nephew of Mrs. Bertha Billups. He describes his army experiences crossing the ocean and in combat as well as his occupation duties. Although not from the area, he had spent time here.)

HELP THE ARMENIANS AND SYRIANS: A campaign has been launched in this country to raise $30,000,000 for the relief of the Armenians and Syrians who have suffered so terribly as a result of the war. Rev. D.K.Sailor of Oquawka was appointed county chairman and the sum of $2,650 (In 2005 that would be $44,922) assigned as the county's quota. W.R.Dobbin will be in charge of the work in Stronghurst Township. He will appoint canvassers for the various school districts and they will be expected to see that the quota assigned to them is raised.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: W.J.Clemmins left for Hot Springs, Ark. where he will seek relief from rheumatic trouble. Mrs. C.H.Curry has been quite ill for sometime but is better. W.J.McElhinney attended a meeting of state Mutual Fire Insurance Companies at Springfield. Mrs. Howard of Nebraska is visiting her sister, Mrs. Joe Woodward. Mrs. Guy Hulet arrived here from Camp Sheridan where Guy was stationed before being mustered out at Camp Grant. The citizens of the village of Good Hope and vicinity at a recent election voted almost unanimously in favor of a community High School building to cost $60,000. Mr. and Mrs. J.S.McMillan were happy with the arrival home of their son Harold, who has been with the American oversea forces and was discharged at Camp Grant. A.L. and Joe Negley were at Galesburg to attend the funeral of their uncle, A.D.Perrine. Dr. and Mrs. R.I.Findley were in Peoria visiting the doctor's brother who lives there. Mrs. R.N.Marshall and daughter Esther left on a trip through the Southland with Hot Springs, Ark. as their first stop. Agnes, Florence May and Nancy Findley visited their grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson of Biggsville. W.E.Salter, who has been caring for an invalid gentleman by the name of Thomas in Oquawka, was home for a short time. The Monmouth Hospital provides excellent facilities for young women desiring the nurse training who present the necessary requirements. Mr. and Mrs. Alex Marshall received a telegram stating that their son Will, who has been in the Coast Artillery in France, had landed in America safe and sound. Rev. K. R. Anderson is reported to be receiving some benefits from the treatment he is now receiving at the hospital at Clarinda, Ia., but physicians there think that an operation for a diseased appendix may be necessary sometime later to insure complete recovery. He expects to return to Stronghurst next Monday unless unforseen complications develop.James Brown, who was in service overseas with the 108th Engineers arrived home from Camp Grant where he was discharged. "Jimmy" was one of the musicians of his regiment and was assigned to duty as a stretcher bearer during a fierce engagement in the Albert region when his regiment suffered the loss of a large number of men. He was severely shell shocked a few days later and has only recently recovered. He is receiving congratulations of his many friends on his safe return from the bloody battlefields of France.

The movement to secure a modern hotel, designed to meet the needs of this village has received fresh impetus in the shape of a subscription for $3,000 worth of stock (In 2005 that would be $36,897.81) by a loyal citizen of the village and another of $500 (In 2005 that would be $6.149.64) by a non-resident property owner. These bring the total subscripted up to a point so near the goal desired that a little more effort will insure success. Failure to put the project over now would be a cause for everlasting shame and regret. There are any number of citizens here who could well afford to take the amount of stock still necessary to be subscribed.

(Delinquent Tax List for Oquawka and Gladstone Township published in this issue.)

CARMAN CONCERNS: Mr. Louis Bagles and James Dixon motored to Denmark, Iowa for the latter's furniture as he and his family are moving back to Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Norris gave a dinner in honor of their son-in-law, Dan Siens, who has just returned from France. Misses Sylvia and Zelda Cargill returned to their home in Burlington after a few days with their uncle, Willis Dowell. Henry Jones had the misfortune to have one of his hands caught in an engine and one finger had to be amputated while at work at the Dannenburg home.

***OBITUARIES***MRS. LOUISA ANDERSON-Mrs. Anderson was a resident of Carman until about 4 years ago when she went to live with her daughter, Mrs. Hattie Kirby, who tenderly cared for her mother in her last days. She was born in Indiana, Sept.27, 1823 and at the time of her death was 90 years, 3 months and 6 days old. Her husband preceded her in death Jan.14, 1900. To this union 12 children were born, eight of whom are living. She also raised one granddaughter, Mrs. Artie McIntire, daughter of Mark Anderson of Dayton, Texas. She was a member of the M.E.Church and was charitable to those in need and a friend to everyone. Funeral services were at the M.E.Church with pall bearers being six of her grandsons; the body was laid to rest in the Carman Cemetery.

MISS MARTHA FRANCES BABCOOK-She was the daughter of Abram and Jemima Babcook and was born and raised here. She was a faithful member of the M.E.Church and a member of the Royal Neighbor Lodge. She is survived by two brothers, A.C.Babcook of Carman, where she made her home since the death of her parents, Chet of Glasglow, Mo., four sisters, Mrs. Mary Westfall of Lovelock, Neb.; Mrs. Nan Harris of Chicago; Mrs. Mina Metcalf of North Yakima, Wash. and Mrs. Dell Jarvis of Dallas City, Ill. Her remains were brought to Carman from Burlington where funeral services were held at the church.

MRS. EFFIE BALCH-Mrs. Balch was terribly burned in her home in Gladstone and taken to the Burlington Hospital where she died from the effects of the burns. Funeral services were conducted in the M.E.Church of Gladstone with burial in South Henderson Cemetery.

Effie Ridinger was born in Nashville, Tenn. April 5, 1839 and she died Jan. 27, 1919. While yet a child she moved with her parents to Jefferson County, Iowa and married John Niece in 1857. To them five children were born, 3 sons and 2 daughters. When Mr. Niece died in 1867 she with her five children moved to Gladstone and later married Wm. Balch, who died in 1880. Since then she has lived alone. Those from out of town attending the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Niece, St. Augustine, Mr. and Mrs. C.E.Neice of Camp Point, Elmer Niece of Arlington, Effie, Edward and Orville Niece of Chicago, Mrs. Benbow of Galesburg and Mrs. Will Coats of Burlington.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Home from overseas are John Rhoads, A. Linburg and Albert Means(Meags?). Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dutton started for Los Angles, Calif. to spend several months in a warmer climate. Mrs. J.L.Ellison and mother, Mrs. Charles Freed, were visiting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Freed; Roy has been ill with pneumonia and flu. Mr. Hoffman and family have moved to Burlington. James Cristy has been made section foreman on this section which Mr. Hoffman left. The little baby of Mr. and Mrs. VanSant is very ill with pneumonia. Mr. Sam Duncan moved into the house he bought of Dan Logan; he as had it all newly fitted up on the inside. Earl Ricketts came home from Camp Forest; he is honorably discharged.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Mr. John Gibson made a business trip to Missouri. W.C.Winders was quite ill for a few days. Those from a distance who were here to attend the funeral of Mrs. Homer Palmer were Mrs. Kathryn Carpenter and son of Chicago, Mrs. Ed Sullivan and children of Streator and Mr. and Mrs. Harvey and son of Fort Madison. Gail Heap, another of our service boys, returned home. A large crowd was out to hear the Dixie Singers who filled the second number of the lecture course.