The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1918 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1918

Stronghurst Graphic, Nov.14, 1918 

PEACE NEWS CELEBRATED: In common with every other city, village and hamlet from Atlantic to Pacific; from the palm tree to the pine, Stronghurst celebrated the signing of the armistice with Germany last Monday with hilarity and exuberant manifestation of joy expressed in the way which each celebrator conceived to be most appropriate and fitting for the occasion.

The fact that peace had come was first made known to the villagers by the loud and continued blasts of the whistle of a Santa Fe engine in the local yards at about 4 o'clock Monday morning. Many thought at first that the whistling was a fire alarm and sent in telephone calls to central(the operator at the central office of the telephone company) to learn where the fire was located. The engines of the trains which passed through after that shrieked the glad peace tidings in continuous blasts and long before daylight everyone knew that democracy's hour of triumph had finally arrived.

Dawn was ushered in by the ringing of the church bells, the discharge of fire arms of every sort, and the din of all kinds of noise making devices. Breakfast in most homes was a function either entirely ignored or rushed through with the quickest possible dispatch, and the streets were soon alive with people bent on making the day one of unrestrained joy making.

Gaily decorated automobiles filled with people old and young and supplied with horns, drums, bells, whistles or any old kind of a noise maker paraded the streets, placards and window decorations appeared, consigning the Kaiser and his crew to the place for which they have been qualifying for the past four years; effigies of his Hohenzollern Highness (the Kaiser) were dragged behind automobiles or exhibited in other humiliating and degrading attitudes while the praises of the American "Doughboys" whose entrance into the great struggle marked the end of autocracy, were on all lips.

Teachers of the village high and public schools found but a handful of pupils assembled at the regular opening hour and they decided to dismiss school for the day and themselves join in the general jollification. Business in general was also suspended and proprietors and employees joined the crowds bent on celebrating. A number of auto loads of people after participating in the demonstration here left for a tour of the surrounding villages and cities and returned with tales of wild manifestations of joy observed in the places visited.

In the evening a "weinnie" roast was given on the school campus by the teachers and a general jollification indulged in. It was late in the evening before the last sound of revelry had ceased and the celebration of the most momentous and significant event since the dawn of the Christian era was over. (This was the" war to end all wars" and fought on moral principles; little did these citizen know that within twenty some years and an even greater war would be fought around the world still settling issues of the first one.)

SUPERVISES NON- WAR CONSTRUCTION: E.L.Claybaugh of Biggsville has been appointed by the Non-War Construction Bureau of the Illinois State Council of Defense to supervise construction and repair work in Illinois in Henderson County. He has the necessary questionnaires and other blanks which are made use of under the rulings of the Bureau and any one in the county contemplating the erection of new buildings or the making of extensive repairs should see or communicate with him.

***OBITUARY***ORLOW NELSON KEENER: Orlow Nelson, the eight year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Keener died at the home of his parents in Stronghurst from pneumonia following an attack of influenza. Orlow was born near Gladstone Sept.11, 1910. The family had been living in Burlington, Ia. previous to coming here a few weeks ago. The illness of the boy covered ten days and in spite of all that loving hands could do, he was called to his heavenly home. Besides his parents, he is survived by four brothers and three sisters, all at home. Private funeral services were conducted at the home with the remains taken to Biggsville for interment.

***HUBERT OBERHOLTZER*** Mr. Oberholtzer, a prominent citizen of Knoxville, Ill and assistant manager of the Brereton Coal Co. Of Galesburg died on Nov.1st and his wife passed away about six hours later; both were victims of the influenza. Their remains were interred in the Knoxville Cemetery. They are survived by one daughter Evelyn.

***NUMEROUS DEATHS*** Mrs. John Links (nee Miss Harriet Josephine Shores of Oquawka) died at her home in LaHarpe on Nov.11th, 65 years of age. Cecil, the five year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred St. Clair of Terre Haute died of influenza on Nov.8th. Burial was in the LaHarpe Cemetery. John H. Bradshaw, a former LaHarpe boy, who afterwards engaged in the harness business at Baker, Montana and was drafted into army service, was killed in action in France on Sept.29th. Virgil Logan, son of E.L.Logan of Dallas City and who has been with the expeditionary forces in France was reported missing since Oct.5th. His family and friends are hoping that no worse fate than that of being wounded and taken to a hospital or of being made a prisoner has befallen him.

MARSDEN PLEADS GUILTY: William Marsden, who has been languishing in the county jail under indictment for the murder of Bob O'Connor at Biggsville last winter was arraigned for trial at an adjourned session of the circuit court in Oquawka and entered a plea of guilty. He was sentenced to a life term in the penitentiary.

1893 GRAPHIC: John Bennington had sold his residence to Geo. Roberts. J.H.Baker, the harness man, had just received a handsome life-sized dapple-gray display horse for his shop, the same having been purchased from an exhibitor in the transportation building at the World's Fair in Chicago. A severe drought was prevailing in this section and many wells were failing. The bottom has fallen out of the wheat market with the Chicago price at 61-62 cents. Corn was selling at 38-39 cents; best cattle at 6 cents and best hogs at 6 1/4 cents. The annual appropriationordinance for the village contained the following: Police fund-$350; Street fund-$250; Gen. Expenses fund-$300; calaboose (jail) and grounds-$175; and cemetery-$725.

HELPED FINISH THE JOB: Mr. and Mrs. C.R.A.Marshall received a letter from their son Glenn in which he stated that he was at the front with the 168th regiment of the Rainbow Division and that they were making a drive for Sedan. Glenn's particular job was carrying up ammunition to the front line and he stated that on account of the rough nature of the ground which had to be traveled over, the task was somewhat strenuous one. Having been placed on the casual list, Glenn was assigned to duty in the zone of actual fighting in a much shorter period of time after his arrival overseas than most of the boys who have gone over.

He is attached to the headquarters company of the 168th Inf., the regiment to which Harry Clark and Ernest Foote belonged when they met their death and in which Joe Baxter has also been serving. He says he had not succeeded in getting to see Joe yet and understood that he was still in a hospital somewhere back of the lines. (Such letters were eagerly read to know what was happening to local boys.)

CLIFFORD MARSHALL FUNERAL: Funeral services over the remains of Clifford Marshall, who died at Wellington, Kans., on Nov.3rd were held at the home of Miss Emma and Richard Marshall in this village. Services were conducted by Rev. A. Jaggers and Rev. K.R.Anderson of Stronghurst. On account of the quarantine regulations prevailing here the funeral was of a private nature. The remains were interred in the old Watson Cemetery east of Olena. (See Olena Observations below)

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Mr. and Mrs. Ansel Brainard are enjoying a fine new piano player in their home. Mr. James Galbraith of western Iowa is visiting relatives. When news came that the war was over and peace declared, the bells rang, the whistles blew and in the evening there was a big bon fire and fire works in what is to be the new park and they burned the Kaiser in the middle of the main street. Robert Bigger was shipping hogs to Chicago for market last week. Mrs. George Gilmore, east of town, came home from Pennsylvania where she has spent most of the summer visiting her son Joe and family. Her grandson, Ray, accompanied her and will spend the winter here. Mrs. Mandy Bell from Henderson, Iowa is visiting her brothers, Clyde, Will and George Galbraith and families for several weeks.

***OBITUARY*** MEDRIA ALICE BURRELL: Medria Alice Burrell, daughter of Delbert and Myrtle Burrell, passed away Nov.10th after a lingering illness, being 7 months and 17 days old. She was born in Gladstone on March 24, 1918. The funeral was held at the home with the remains laid to rest in the Biggsville Cemetery. She leaves to mourn her loss a father and loving mother and grandmother, two uncles and one aunt.

***MRS. GEORGE FORT*** Mrs. George Fort, who has lain very low for the several weeks, passed away at her home west of Olena Monday. Funeral services will be conducted at the church with Rev. Russell officiating. Relatives who called here during Mrs. Fort's last Illness and to attend the funeral are Mr. and Mrs. Strait of Keosaqua, Ia.; Mr. and Mrs. George Kemp and daughters, Misses Grace and Bessie of Fairfield, Iowa; Mr. and Mrs. Robert Fort of Red Oak, Iowa; Mr. and Mrs. James Hicks and family of Stronghurst and J.L.Fort of Wataga, Ill.

CARMAN CONCERNS: Most people hate to be disturbed in their slumber, but when they heard the whistles blow and the bells ring Monday morning at 2 o'clock over at Burlington they were willing to lose sleep for they knew the great war was over as officially announced by the war department at Washington. All knew what had happened, that the armistice had been signed and that we had "Peace." Everybody here was rejoicing and it was one continuous cheer for the downfall of the Hun. The schools opened after a few weeks vacation on account of the Spanish influenza. Frederick Crane returned home from a visit with his aunt, Mrs. Ann Starkey at Burnside. Miss Sylvia Cargill of Burlington visited her uncle Willis Dowell. Mrs. Dan Siens and brother, John Stimpson are victims of the "flu" but are getting along nicely.

OLENA OBSERVATIONS: There have probably been 40-50 cases of influenza in and near the village in the past few weeks, but at the present about all have recovered with Will Hicks being the last victim. Many from here were attracted by peace rumors to Burlington and report that pandemonium reigned supreme. The remains of Clifford Marshall were brought by his father, Mr. Ralph Marshall to be laid to rest in the Olena Cemetery beside his mother.(In the obit above it said it was to be placed in Watson, but he really is in Olena.) His sisters, Mrs. Grace Waldrop of Montana and Mrs. Maude Davis of New Mexico and Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Marshall were here for the last sad rites. The village school opened after several weeks vacation of account of the influenza. A new son is reported at the John McCartney home. Also a son arrived at the Charles Perdue home in the village.

HOW THEY VOTED: A study of the vote in Henderson County upon the Good Roads, Banking Law and Constitutional Convention propositions reveals the fact that Oquawka is the only township opposed to all of the proposed measures. Raritan and Terre Haute also went on record as opposed to the Good Roads proposition. All of the other townships except Oquawka supported the Banking law amendment and the Constitutional Convention by overwhelming majorities.

HIGH SCHOOL NOTES: The faculty has asked each class to furnish one program a month for assembly period with the seniors going first. Gilbert Simpson, Robert Adair, Deal Burrell and Dewey Mudd expected to go to Oquawka to sign up with the colors, but all further calls have been cancelled because the war has ended.

Monday was a holiday, a momentous period in our lives because one of the greatest struggles of all history came to an end. All the students took part in the celebration held in town early in the morning and later many made trips to surrounds towns to celebrate spreading the news to other schools. In the evening many students with a large number of people gather on the school grounds to sing songs and roast weiners about a great bon fire. All in all, Nov.11th can be set down in the minds of students as the happiest day and most momentous periods of their lives.

Girls ages 12-20 have organized a "Victory Club" and are planning a food sale.

One carload of mourners in the Kaiser's funeral procession met with disaster about a mile west of Raritan when the truck in which they were riding over turned. No one was hurt but many were disappointed at not being able to keep up with the procession.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: I.H.Brokaw sold five Duroc-Jersey gilts to the noted breeders, Hanks and Bishop of New London, Iowa; they brought $90 a head. H.M.Lovitt of Terre Haute will sell his first annual sale of Big Type Poland China hogs in the Stronghurst sale pavilion on Nov. 18th. Manager Beardsley has been fortunate to be able to book the big show, "Yankee Doodle Boy" for Stronghurst Friday evening; this show only plays in the larger cities, but happened to have an open date. Mr. Beardsley guarantees this to be clean and one of the best shows on the road. Grover C.Bowen returned from Camp Sheridan, Ala. where he went to look after his brother Ed who has been very ill. He found the latter almost completely recovered. Unfortunately he was not permitted to bring Ed home as measles had made its appearance in the camp and the quarantine regulations made it impossible.

Mrs. W.C.Regan left for Elmwood, Ill. where she was called by a message stating that her father, W.G.Armstrong, had suffered an apoplectic stroke and was in critical condition. The Raritan Reporter in order to comply with the government War Board's request for conservation of paper has temporarily reduced the size of its publication from eight to four pages. Will Allison and family arrived in Will's big touring car from their home in western Missouri for a visit. Rae Nordstrom and family have departed for Rushville, Ill. where he will be employed by a telephone company for which his brother-in-law, Joe Huff, another former Stronghurst citizen, is also working.

George Chant received a letter from J.E.Amerman at Sheridan, Wyo. stating that the mountains are now covered with snow and that winter has come to stay. Jim says that while we have four season in Illinois, in Wyoming they have only three-July, August, and winter. C.W.Walker will hold his first annual sale of Pure-Bred Duroc-Jersey hogs in the sale pavilion on Friday. He is offering 42 head. The ladies of the Stronghurst Red Cross wish to announce that they will receive for inspections and mailing at their headquarters in the I.O.O.F. Hall Christmas cartons for the boys overseas.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: The citizens of Media were awakened at an early hour Monday morning by the shrill whistle of the trains and the ringing of the church and school bells. It was not long until it dawned on all that the good news that the war was over had been received and everyone joined in some way to celebrate the great event. Later in the day the school children and the surgical dressing class formed a very nice parade and headed by Mr. John Suydam with is drum, marched all through the streets singing and shouting.

The section men of the railroad received a half holiday on Monday. Several men from town have been working for the past few days blasting out the large rocks on the big hill north of town. George Sutton has been shingling and repairing his house.