The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1918 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1918

Stronghurst Graphic, Oct.10, 1918 

HEAVY TOLL OF DEATH: The fact that in the midst of life we are in death has been brought home to the community most forcibly this past week. Dr. E.E.Bond and Dr. W.H.Wells had both been taken to Galesburg hospitals suffering from pneumonia. It had been hoped in both cases that under proper nursing and treatment the ravages of the disease might be stayed, but word came on Saturday that Dr. Wells had passed away during the night. At a little after one o'clock of the afternoon of the same day Dr. Bond succumbed to the effects of the malady. On Monday the silent messenger had entered the home of Rae Nordstrom and wife and taken away their four year old son, Guy Raymond and on Wednesday morning the sad news circulated that Mrs. Esther McDonald had passed away at her home in the east part of the village following the birth of her still born child.

With peoples' minds already at a high pitch of nervous tension because of the influenza epidemic,it follows that these visitations of the grim reaper have resulted in a panic on the part of some.

***OBITUARIES***DR. W.H.WELLS- Dr. Wells came to Stronghurst from Glasford, Ill. a little less than a year ago. Previously he had lived and practiced for a number of years in Monmouth where he was health officer for several terms and also secretary of the Warren County Medical Society. During the time he lived in Stronghurst, he acquired a good practice and won the esteem of all. He and his wife were members of the Presbyterian Church at Monmouth, never having transferred their membership. Funeral services were conducted a the home with interment in the local cemetery.

DR. E.E.BOND- Dr. Bond, who had disposed of his practice and sold his fine residence in preparation to enter the service, was one of nature's noblemen. During his eight years here he not only demonstrated his skill and proficiency as a physician, but also the qualities of the ideal citizen and Christian gentleman. Funeral services were conducted at his hometown of Roberts, Ill.

MRS. ESTHER MCDONALD- Mrs. McDonald was the daughter of Mr. Walter Kinard of Kahoka, Mo. She was married last December in Stronghurst to Herbert McDonald. For a time the young couple made their home on the Chandler farm near Decorra where he was employed. Several months ago they moved to this village where the young wife followed her new born to the Great Beyond. She is survived by her father, Walter Kinard of Kahoka, Mo. and a married sister and two brothers , all of the same vicinity. The remains were taken to Kahoka where the funeral and interment was made.

GUY RAYMOND NORDSTROM- Guy, little son of Mr. and Mrs. Rae Nordstrom, was born on the 8th of Jan 1914 and passed away on Oct.6, 1918, aged 4 years and 9 months. For two or three months, the little fellow had not been well, but until a few days ago his condition was not considered serious. Last week he took a turn for the worse. He leaves to mourn, his devoted parents , one sister and one brother besides his grandparents, uncles and aunts.

LETTER FROM CLARENCE HARTQUIST: I just finished about a three weeks washing so feel like writing a few lines before "chow." Have been busy all day, had to fall out for muster at 7:15 then drilled and got ready for review and inspection. It was 10:30 by time it was all over, then walked to Eastleigh to church, got back and had dinner about one and have been washing ever since and is now four o'clock so you see I don't have much time to myself even on a Sunday. It would sure seem grand to get to sleep till 10 o'clock and get up and eat a breakfast like "mother" used to make. It's about like one of the fellows said in sleep last night, "This navy isn't so bad, but there is no place to compare with home." so you can see where our minds are even when sleeping.

I suppose the papers have been full telling of the American's great success, even the English papers came out with big headlines, so they certainly must have made a great advance and I sure hope it is as they all say, " the start of the finish." I suppose that some of the boys from home were in it. Hope they came out lucky, for it would certainly be tough to have them come back wounded as I have seen so many here. One never realizes how terrible it is until you have seen them as they come back from the trenches, but all seem in the best of spirits even though minus an arm or leg.

Am still waiting for a letter, certainly anxious to hear that you are all well and enjoying life as I am, for I have felt fine ever since I landed, haven't been sick a single day. Has been raining here the last week, camp is muddy and sloppy doesn't take much rain to make fields soft but roads are all hard roads so they never get muddy.(Around Henderson County mud was the norm for roads.) Has been warmer the last few days, but nights are always real cool.Nothing much to write so will bring this to a finish. Be sure and write me real often for you can't imagine what letters from home will be worth. As ever, Your loving son, "Buck"C.A.Hartquist, Swgt. U.S.N. Aviation Repair Base, Eastleigh, England.

COUNTY LOYALTY REPORT (As the war dead numbers increased, patriotic fervor mounted and people were asked to sign loyalty cards proving they supported the United States in the current war. Those who did not would carry a stigma of being questionable citizens. Some felt the whole affair as infringing upon their constitutional rights and refused on moral grounds. Hence, one today should not judge these names too harshly.)

The executive committee of the Henderson County War Service League announced the names of those neglecting or refusing to sign a Loyalty Card and make a financial statement. Publication of the list was delayed as the mass of work necessary with the subscription for bonds that the committee was unable to get to it. Also, So many of the delinquents sent in their cards with letters which proved that their failure was more neglect than disloyalty.

Here is the list and addresses of those failing or refusing to sign: J.W.Berkshire, Terre Haute; G.P. Evans, Stronghurst; Frank Wilsher, Stronghurst; Emmet Davenport, Oquawka; Arthur Hufnagle, Oquawka; William Stemple, Oquawka; L.C.Smith, Oquawka; Gus Bachman, Oquawka.

***OBITUARIES***MRS. SAM CURRY: Mrs. Carrie Curry, wife of Sam Curry, died at the family home at Winfield, Iowa, last Tuesday night at about 10 o'clock. The family had but recently moved there from Blandinsville, Ill. Mrs. Curry's death was sudden and followed a severe hemorrhage of the lungs. She is survived by her husband and one daughter, Evelyn, who lives at home; also by one sister, Mrs. Annie Huggins, formerly of Raritan, Ill. and a brother, Joseph Purdy, who lives six miles southeast of Raritan.

The remains are expected to arrived in Stronghurst on Saturday and funeral services will be conducted at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Crenshaw.

JOSIAH SCHENCK: One of the best known farmers and highly esteemed citizen of Raritan Township, died suddenly at his home one and a half miles southwest of Raritan Oct.7th, aged 61 years and 11 days. He is survived by his wife, who was formerly Miss Libbie Gearheart of Raritan; by one son, Colonel Schenck, who is manager of the home farm, and by two daughters, Lovetta, who is a teacher in the Colorado schools and Lou, who lives at homes but had departed for a visit with relatives in Kansas a few days prior to her father's death. Funeral services will be conducted at the Reformed Church with interment in the Raritan Cemetery.

RALPH SIMONSON: The body of Ralph Simonson, who died at Great Lakes training camp arrived at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Simonson, 2 12 miles northwest of Raritan. Funeral services were conducted there with interment made in the Stronghurst Cemetery in charge of the Masonic Order. The deceased was 23 years of age having been born and reared on the Simonson homestead and previous to entering the service was engaged in farming.

1893 GRAPHIC: The fact that one of Stronghurst's business men had the convenience of a telephone connecting his home and store was thought worthy of mention. From Stronghurst 52 people took advantage of the low rates offered by the Santa Fe to visit the Columbian Exposition in Chicago. Rev. J.G.Stewart, an evangelist who had preached at Stronghurst and Olena, was being tried before the Monmouth Presbytery on the charge of "disorderly conduct" in promulgating his "faith cure" doctrines while supplying pulpits in the presbytery. Theodore Hetrick of Ferris, Ill. was indicted by the grand jury of Hancock County for the murder of Dr. Daniel Pearson at Augusta fourteen years previously.

NEWS OF THE COUNTY -CARMAN: Miss Grace Gillis will attend the college of commerce in Burlington. Mrs. Mary Siens was called to Hopper by the sudden death of her sister-in-law, Mrs. Dave Waterman. Mr. Louie Dannenburg was chosen to represent the Masonic Grand Lodge at Chicago. The Fourth Liberty Bond went "over the top" here (This meant the township met its quota of subscribers).

GLADSTONE - Virginia Stanley is going to Monmouth College. Rev. Theil from Chicago was here working for the Illinois Orphans and Foundlings Home. Mrs. Neff Ogden had the misfortune to run a needle in the fleshy part of her hand while washing. She went to Dr. Ditto and had it removed but the wound is very painful.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: Mrs. Annie Smith returned to Stronghurst from Chicago where she had been confined to a hospital. Delrain Smith left for Topeka, Kans. where he will take a course in the Santa Fe school of telegraphy. Abram Davis, who has been helping out with the work on the J. Marion Fort estate farm for several months, left for his home at Olathe, Kans.

On account of the prevailing epidemic there were no services in anychurches in the village last Sabbath and it has been thought best to keep the churches closed next Sabbath. The village schools were closed and will remain so until further notice. Geo. Barnett returned from a visit to Wyoming where his brother lives about 40 miles from Sheridan. The western climate and fare seems to have agreed with Mr. Barnett as he added considerably to his avoirdupois(weight) during his visit. While there he engaged in his old trade of carpentry and was urged to stay and accept employment at $6.00 per day. He visited with Mr. and Mrs. J.E.Amerman at Sheridan and says they are enjoying life in their new home.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: People who like fine stock will be interested in seeing the 800 lbs. boar which is at the head of the Del Dixson herd of Duroc-Jersey hogs. Mr. and Mrs. Harry Winters are the proud parents of a fine 9 lb. boy. A.A.Worthington and wife and Mr. S.V.A.Simonson are moving from the farm southeast of town into their house in the village one door north of the Chesley Towler accompanied his wife and his father home from Chicago having recovered sufficiently to be discharged from the hospital where he had been seriously ill from the effects of "Spanish Influenza." On account of the overcrowded condition of the hospital, patients are discharge as quickly as their condition will permit. While not completely recovered, home care and attention will soon restore Chesley to his accustomed vigor.

F.B.Marsh of Warsaw is home after an absence of four years, the greater part of which was spent in France where he has been serving in a Canadian regiment. He has been three times wounded and narrowly escaped death when the ship on which he was returning home was torpedoed by a German submarine. He is now hoping to get into the American army through the selective draft. Monmouth's new Catholic church erected to take the place of the one destroyed by fire was formally dedicated.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: The E.G.Lewis Seed Co. finished putting up their sacked, picked and hung seed corn this week. They have somewhere about 10,000 bushels hung. Dr. P.E. Kimery of Smithshire made a professional call in town. The teachers of the Academy and Miss Cooper of the public school have rented Mrs. Lukens' house in the west part of town are going to do light house keeping. Several from town have been going to Collin's place west of town and watching them make sorghum.

Several from here had to go to Oquawka to be examined by the local board. Mr. and Mrs. Fred Palmer have moved into the house they purchased in the east part of town. Media Township was the second to report as having purchased several thousand dollars more then their quota of Liberty bonds. The pupils of the public school and the Academy are enjoying a week's vacation to help check the spread of influenza. The Shaffer family are the only one in town that have been quarantined for influenza.