The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1918 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1918

Stronghurst Graphic, Sept.26 1918 .

(The front page of this issue is a copy of a hand written letter from President Wilson asking support of the next War Bond drive.)

WITH THE SOLDIER BOYS: Clarence Hartquist is now in England and writes that it is a nice country but customs and business methods are very different and the greatest difference is the railway trains. Russell Brooks is at Camp Funston, Kansas. Hollis Links landed back in Philadelphia after making his initial trip across the Atlantic on a transport. Cranston Doak is suffering from the prevailing influenza at Great Lakes, but his condition is very satisfactory and there is no cause for fear. Ralph Simonson at Great Lakes too is seriously ill. Paul Gordon who was seriously injured and in the hospital in France, wrote his father, J.W.Gordon, that it will some weeks and maybe even months before he is able to enter active service again. His eyes were seriously injured by gas and he was severely wounded. Mr. Gordon's other son, Kenneth, has been promoted to first lieutenant at Richmond, Va. where he is in command at an ordnance depot. Roland Davidson has been employed for several weeks at a factory at Edgewood, Md. where chlorine gas is made for use in the war.

(TOWNSHIP REGISTRANTS: This issue contains the names of 193 registrants in Stronghurst Township liable for military service. Ages range from 18 to 45 years and include Mexican laborers on the railroad, which appear at the end of the list. )

FAREWELL RECEPTION: The congregation of the Stronghurst Swedish Lutheran Church tendered their pastor, Rev. W.P.Anderson and his wife a farewell reception at the church last Saturday evening. A sumptuous repast was enjoyed after which the various organizations of the church through chosen representatives addressed the pastor and his wife expressing appreciation of the help from the both spiritual and temporal during their stay. Mr. Chas. Glad spoke for the whole congregation and presented Rev. Anderson with a purse of $102.50 as a token of regard of his flock. Mrs. Wm. Nolan spoke for the Dorcas Society and presented Mrs. Anderson a purse of $28.00. The Martha Society through Miss Ethel Hartquist joined in words of appreciation and gave a purse of $13.00.

The pastor's confirmation class of boys through Edwin Erickson present the pastor with a solid gold band ring while Mrs. Anderson's Sabbath school class of primary pupils (represented by Esther Swanson and Ellen Peterson for the girls and Harold Nolan for the boys) presented her with a profusion of flowers and a handsome serving tray. The Gladstone congregation had previously given the couple a purse of $38 with Mrs. Anderson receiving another of $13.

1893 GRAPHIC: James Atkinson family left to make their home in Princeville, Ill. Peter Groome, Sr. was robbed of $20 and his train ticket while attending the World's Fair in Chicago. Lon Lant had just returned from Oklahoma where he was a spectator of the desperate struggle for land in opening the Cherokee Strip. He witnessed many lawless acts including murder of two men and stated that water sold at five cents a glass and bread at $1.00 per loaf. J.F.Mains, editor of The Graphic and Miss Dulcie Davidson were united in marriage and left for a visit to the World's Fair in Chicago. A reception was held for Rev. Holmes and family who were being reassigned to the M.E.Church in Raritan. William Gilliland of Biggsville died there from an injury received on the baseball diamond in Stronghurst when he was struck in the back by a ball pitched by Will Campbell of the Stronghurst nine (team).

LETTER FROM EDNA SALTER OVER THERE: Well, I am at last "over here" and am glad the long trip is over. I used to think it was a task to stay on a train four hours-but I would now consider a C.B.& Q. passenger coach next to a Pierce Arrow Limousine, not that the ship was uncomfortable, but I cannot brag on French and English trains. However, we finished an interesting rip and hope we are settled at least for awhile. This is a wonderful country with wonderful people and believe me they show Americans the best they have. The American soldiers look mighty good pouring in over here, but what we would think of as a big army over there isn't a handful over here and the people at home must prepare themselves for sorrow and sacrifice without end. When we see these people who have had four years and given their all, we are all the more determined to do our part.

We are just two miles from Nantes. The hospital grounds is the centuries old Chateau grounds. Our wards are similar to Camp Gordon, only not quite so large. As yet we do not get the patients direct from the front, but will later. Our nurses' quarters are far better than we expected, two to a room and Hanson and I are together. The weather is grand and I am sitting with my heavy coat on, but you know my failing for cold anyway; I'm hoping this "outdoor life" will help me get over that. We had no excitement whatever coming over...We were in Paris for three hours and saw a great deal of the city riding in the Red Cross ambulance. It is far above my expectations.

When we left New York, the heat was terrible, but after we got on the water, it was grand and cool. I'm keeping my eyes open for someone I know but haven't met anyone. Met several from the Rainbow Division and also a Galesburg boy named McCinnis. It would do your soul good to see how the boys (Americans) flock to see an American girl if only to say "hello." All the women over here smoke just as the men do.

There are three base hospital units here (No. 11, 38 and 34 which will come later). What a hellish thing war is; the more I see here the less I like to write or think of them. I couldn't help but smile at one poor fellow who was telling of a boy in their company who was out of a pair of shoes and asked his captain if he might go over and take a pair of Fritz. He gained permission all right but stayed over in Fritz's territory a rather long time and when he got back, they asked him what had kept him. "Well," he said, "I had to kill nineteen before I could get a pair to fit." Oh, I could write and write but our mail censor asked us to "have a heart" for him so I'll try to not make too rambling a litter...Edna Salter.

A huge walnut tree was cut down at Rushville and it is estimated that it would make 1,200 feet of lumber and will be used in making gun stocks for use in the war. C.L.Young and wife have sold the Tremont Hotel at LaHarpe to Major Bright of Galesburg; Mrs. Bright is a sister of James Wolfe of Stronghurst. George Chant has received word that his nephew Lieut. Earl Chant, who was a member of the British Royal Flying Squadron and who was reported in May as having been made a prisoner by Germans, was reported as having died from wounds.

LETTER FROM JOE BAXTER:-I had my chance at the "Boche (Germans)." I sure had many souvenirs but lost them all and I can account for 5 Dutchmen so that isn't so bad I think. They dropped a high explosive shell and I was blown about 50 feet and came too in the hospital and surely was a sick man. My eyes are not well by any means either from the mustard gas. It is a gay life and we sure got them going. Don't think they will want much more of it. No need to worry for sometime as I don't think I will go to the front. Will write often now; couldn't before on account of eyes. I was talking to the Sergeant in command of the machine gun section that "Red" Gordon from Oquawka was in; will try to find him....Corp. Joe M. Baxter, Co.I 168th U.S. Inf. A.R.F.