The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1918 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1918

Stronghurst Graphic, Dec.19, 1918 

PATROLLING THE COAST: Ray F. Chandler, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Chandler of this township was for some months previous to the close of the war engaged in patrolling off the coast of Ireland and the raising of the censorship has made it permissible for him to tell some of the details of the hazardous work: "I have been on a submarine chaser for three months now and am getting to be a regular old salt.These boats are only 110 feet long and have a fifteen foot beam.

They are manned by twenty-five Naval Reserves and carry one three-inch gun forward, two machine guns and sixteen depth charges. We operate in units of three boats to a unit and patrol the coast from twenty-five to seventy-five miles out for the coast of Ireland. We go out for three days then come in for three days' rest or rather clean up period as the whole ship in wet when we get back. One night especially I'll not forget was when we were out on patrol and got caught in a storm. A gale of 70 mile per hour and took us seven hours to go two miles into the nearest harbor. We feel good in port, but lots of times we don't eat at all when out at sea except a little hard tack and cheese.

We just got back from a four day leave where we visited Dublin, Belfast and lakes of Killarney. Northern Ireland is certainly a pretty country, but for southern Ireland I think it is about the poorest place I've ever been.

Well, I suppose lots of the fellows will be home for Xmas this year. I only wish I was; but guess there's no chance. However, I don't think it will be long before we start on our long journey homeward bound as we unloaded all our dept charges today and are getting everything in ship shape order." . .Ray F. Chandler, U.S.S.C.344

A PUBLIC MEMORIAL? Now that the war is over, we (the editor) believe that the citizens of Stronghurst should interest themselves in a movement looking to the providing of some kind of a monument to serve as a reminder in the future of the part we have taken in the great struggle for human freedom.. . The monument should be an enduring one to serve as a reminder to future generations of the price paid by the people of this generation in order that freedom should not perish from the earth. It should also, if possible, be one in which the elements of beauty and usefulness are not lacking.

Our own idea of the matter is a public fountain erected in our village park, which could combine all of the elements besides serving as a memorial. There stands in one corner of the park a monument dedicated to the memory of those who fought in our Civil War and just that another be erected to the memory of those who shed their blood and those who fought or served in other ways in the last great struggle for liberty and humanity. (This is a long article giving the editor's view on how the memorial would be financed.

Guess he couldn't gather the support for this venture as we have no such thing in the park today.)

JAMES JOHNSON CALLED HOME: Mr. Johnson passed away on Thursday evening Dec.12th. While not unexpected, the news of the death of this young business man of only thirty years was received with genuine sorrow by everyone who knew him. Coming to Stronghurst but a little over a year ago, he had built up a successful garage business and won the respect and confidence of the entire community.Mr. Johnson was brought up on a farm a few miles south of Kahoka, Mo. where he lived with his parents until after finishing his education at Kahoka High School and at Brown's Business College at Galesburg. He was married in 1909 to Miss Lelia Alexander of Kahoka. In 1912 they moved to Orion, Ill., where Mr. Johnson engaged in the grocery business and later conducted a garage. In October 1917 the family moved to Stronghurst, Mr. Johnson purchasing the garage which T.C.Knutstrom had just built. Here he established a Ford agency and general garage which he conducted until the time of his death.

The deceased is survived by his wife and by three sons, James Donald, Johnny Lee, and Richard Madden; also by his mother, who resides at Cameron, Ill. The remains were taken to Cameron for the funeral and burial was in the Cameron Cemetery.

BERT IS IN THE MOVIES: Mrs. Bert Putney received a card from Silas Salter stating that in an exhibition of recently released war films in Galesburg, he saw a picture thrown on the screen showing Bert baking bread for the soldier in France. The card stated that the picture of Bert was particularly good and that he appeared to be as fat and saucy as ever and apparently enjoying army life. We understand that Bert's picture has also been recognized by Stronghurst people in Eastern cities where the film has been shown.

BOX SOCIAL IN HOPPER: There will be a box social at the Hopper school house Dec.21st. A program will be rendered and a Christmas tree will be a feature of the occasion. Ladies are requested to bring boxes and anyone desiring to bring presents for distribution may do so.-Miss Omega Lefler, teacher.

1893 GRAPHIC: The big Santa Fe bridge just east of Media had been competed and the first train was run over it on Dec. 20th. I.V.Gulick, one of Raritan's well known citizens and pioneer residents, died from the effects of LaGrippe on Dec.17th. The liquidation of the last cent of indebtedness incurred in the building of the Stronghurst U.P.Church was celebrated by a joyous gathering of members and friends of the congregation on the evening of Dec.21st when the evidence of the indebtedness in the shape of notes and other obligations were destroyed in a big bonfire built in the street. A plan to convert the Stronghurst Creamery into a canning factory was being discussed. A.N.Negley of Terre Haute and Miss Cora Beeman of Prairie City were united in marriage in Burlington. A.M.W.A.Camp of 16 members was organized in Carman on Dec. 15th.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: Chesley Towler is home from Lewis Institute in Chicago on a short furlough. Mrs. Abram Davis of Olathe, Kans. visited Miss Ida Davis. Frances Jaggers is home from Abingdon College on account of the school being closed because of the "flu" epidemic. Mr. and Mrs. Marion Evans of Emerson, Ia. are making their home for the present at the old Evans homestead near Decorra where they expect to remain until their son, Marion, returns from France to take charge of the farm. Mrs. Edith McArthur, their daughter, is here for the present and Mr. McArthur is contemplating disposing of their home at Wilmette, Ill. and taking up their permanent residence on the Decorra farm. N.B.Curry is numbered among the sick this week as well as W.J. McElhinney who has been confined to his home on the farm east of town by illness.

George Fornell, who was at Camp Morrison, Va., waiting to be sent overseas when hostilities ceased, returned home. Reports from Roseville note six deaths within 40 hours from influenza and that the local undertaker had six funerals on his hands at the same time.

CARMAN CONCERNS: Mr. Norton Parks and family are very sick with the flu and Mrs. Parks and little son also have pneumonia. Two nurses, Mrs. Parks' sister, Miss Nellie Showalte, and a nurse from Burlington are caring for the family. Mr. and Mrs. John Breen received word that their eldest son, Earl, had died of pneumonia in France. Mrs. Eliza Brown will spent the winter in Burlington with her daughter, Mrs. Victor Gluedy. The remains of Roy Dixon where brought here from Burlington for burial after a grave side funeral service. A little son has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hicks at their home near Olena; Mrs. Hicks was formerly Miss Fern Pendry of this place. Mr. Joe Marsden and wife of Olena stopped en route to Dallas City where Joe was having dental work done by Dr. Walters.

GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Miss Blanche Duvall came home from New York City; she has been a Red Cross nurse for the past six months in France. Dick Cadle of Peoria is visiting friends. John Oberly recently bought the Conrad Litletich barn and tore it down and moved it to his farm south of town. The barn was one of the oldest landmarks of the town, being there over 50 years. The land on which it stood has been bought by the town and will be made into a park. It is near the depot and can be made a fine place by planting some trees and fixing it up; it will be called "Liberty Park" and will quite an improvement for the village.