The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
La Harpe School Board Meeting
The La Harpe School Board held a regular meeting Tuesday night, February 21st, in the School District Library. School board members in attendance were Barbara Cox, Dan Horton, Mark Irish, Cindy Wear, R.D. Trout, and Ricky Johnson.
Also present were Jo Campbell, Karen Nudd, Pat Deitrich, John Quigle, and Larry Benne from Carl Sandburg College. Mr. Benne passed out the February Edition of the Envoy and mentioned several articles of interest to the board and Karen Nudd went over financial projections with the board.
The board approved the employment of Jason Finch as assistant softball coach for the 2006 season.
In other business, the board:
- voted to submit an emergency amendment to the 10 Year Life Survey for replacement of the high school gym roof,
- approved the 2006 Pre-Kindergarten Summer Camp, and changed the March board meeting to March 23rd at 7:00 p.m. in the school district library.
- heard Junior high/high school Lila McKeown's report to the board including:
- the high school girls and boys basketball seasons have ended.
- Mrs. Ramsey took the WYSE team to Carthage on February 7th. Brad Seats received 1st in Engineering Graphics, and Justin Zimmerman received 3rd in Computer Fundamentals. Both will advance to the sectional competition in Galesburg on March 13th.
- Mrs. Logan facilitated the Illinois Youth Survey for 10th and 12th graders. They took the survey on-line on February 22nd.
- On the evening of February 9th, Mrs. Logan, and Deb Miller from Carl Sandburg, met with junior parents interested in dual credit classes for next year.
- The annual Sweetheart Dance was held on February 11th. Justin Sparrow and Jenna Ourth were crowned King and Queen.
- Mrs. Logan has taken interested sophomore and junior students to visit the WACS classes in Macomb and Carthage.
- The 7th grade boys basketball team finished 4th in the state. It is amazing to have 3 teams to the state tournament already this year and we could have more state bound athletes. The volleyball teams have been doing great this year.
- Mrs. Bartlett has started working with the Honors Group this year.
- Ms. Hunter took the 6th graders to WIU for a bowling trip. This culminates their bowling unit in PE.
- Mrs. Bartlett facilitated the Illinois Youth Survey to 6th and 8th graders on February 8th.
- The first Junior High Awards Night was held February 16th. The Junior High Spelling Bee was held on February 16th. Michael Lafferty placed first and Colin Beals placed 2nd.
- The 6th grade participated in the annual Jump Rope for Heart on February 17th. Ms. Hunter does an excellent job of organizing the jumpers.
- Ricky Johnson read the Ag Report prepared by Paul Mealiff.
- Lindsey Pollock and Morgan Mohr represented our La Harpe FFA Chapter at the Hancock County Farm Bureau Acquaintance Day on January 17th. Along with other members from Hancock County and the State of Illinois, they will attend the IAA/FFA Youth Conference at Decatur on April 3rd and 4th.
- Mariah Myers and Kellie McKeown competed in the Section XI FFA Ag Sales CDE at Carthage on February 1st.
- They received 4th out of 10 teams in the Market Analysis Section.
- The FFA Chapter Degree Ceremony was the major part of our February 3rd meeting. Twelve members received their Chapter FFA Degree.
- Over 100 attended the 2006 Sweetheart Dance sponsored by the FFA Charter.
- We recently received 600 spring flower and plant plugs and members of the Horticulture Class began transplanting them into pots, flower bags and hanging baskets. We look forward to selling them around Mothers Day.
- On February 9th, the Section XI record book prejudging meeting was held in the La Harpe High School Biology room.
- Nine members from La Harpe were entered in eleven areas and 4 of them interviewed on the Section level on the 21st. Megan Poulter was first in Dairy Placement, Jennifer Siegworth was first in Home and/or Community Development, Justin Sparrow was 2nd in Agricultural Mechanics-Repair and Maintenance and 4th in Beef Production, along with Lacey Pence 3rd in Agricultural Services.
- Our Annual FFA Banquet will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday March 21st, in the high school gym.