The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Oquawka: The First Presbyterian church of Oquawka was organized in 1840 by representatives of the Schuyler Presbytery with the following presenting certificates of membership in other churches: Mr. and Mrs. James Jamison, Esther W. Stebbins, Thankful Day, Sarah Jamison, Daniel Linn and Daniel Richey. James Jamison was selected as the first Elder of this church.
That first day Orinda Eames, Hannah Lancaster, Elvira A. Francis and Charles A. Furin joined the flock and it grew yearly. The first recorded death was at Jack's Mill in 1844 of Miss Caroline M. Woods.
(Read all the details in the 1911 History of Henderson County.)