The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
THE COURTHOUSE: Stephen S. Phelps and Alexis Phelps, proprietors of the town of Oquawka, gave the county 200 lots therein to be sold to pay for erecting county buildings.
The commissioners issued a call for bids and Alexis Phelps won with the bid of $1,219, the lowest offer for laying the walls and putting on the roof including 22 window frames and six door frames.
Alexis filed his bond with James Ryason and Samuel Darnell for sureties for the completion of the work.
Under this arrangement the first courthouse was built. (The first circuit court of the county was held in a store room belonging to Col. J.B. Patterson in 1841 with the Hon. Stephen A. Douglas presiding-yes, the famous Douglas of the Lincoln-Douglas Debates in later years.)
1911 History of Henderson County