The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
The first newspaper published in this county was the "Oquawka Spectator" founded in 1848 by Col.John B. Patterson.
In 1849 his son, E.H.N. Patterson joined the paper until he left for Colorado.
In 1880, Col. Patterson's grandson, Harry N. Patterson, joined him and later assumed control with his wife Florence. A. Patterson.
The last issue was printed in January 1908 as other work sustained the printing office. Mr. Patterson was one of the leading botanist of the State of Illinois and the author of a standard work on Illinois Flora; owing to this, the firm had a large business printing botanical labels.
1911 History of Henderson County