The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1918 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1918

Stronghurst Graphic, May 9, 1918 

LETTER FROM THE FRONT: Douglas French, son of Mrs. J.D.French, formerly of this vicinity writes his experiences as a member of the medical department of the 16th Engineers in France: "Well, I don't like to write letters but I am just feeling tonight as though I had to. I can't explain the feeling and won't attempt to. I am not homesick and still I feel for the first time since leaving the States that I would like to be back in the U.S. again better than any place else. I suppose the doings of the day has caused it.

We heard the big guns roaring this morning when we got up. They sounded like far away thunder. They have kept it up all day. I don't hear them this evening, however. It makes a person feel pretty serious when he hears them and knows what is going on up there. Some French aeroplanes went up that way this afternoon. We have heard two or three times before this that the Tuscania was sunk, but it was untrue. But they have gotten her at last. The papers told of her being sunk in today's issue. Nearly everyone in the regiment feels as though he had lost a friend because you see we came over on her.

I was over to the "Y" tonight and saw some real American moving picture. They were old, but they made a person almost think he was back in the U.S. again. A person can easily forget he is in France when he is in his bunk or reading in the "Y." He can look at a map of France and wonder where everybody is and what they are doing just as you could at home, but as soon as you step out, you see the mud and you know they don't have that kind in the States, and if you go to town, Good night! You know good and well that the U.S. of A. is a long way off.I think I will have to try and get a pair of wood oxfords that they wear over here and bring back as a souvenir. It is funny the way they dress the boys over here. They wear aprons until they are fourteen years old. They wear trousers that come to the knees and their socks come up to just below the knees and they have a bare place of about three inches. I suppose maybe that is to save their mothers from having so much sewing. I remember I crawled on my knees a great deal when I was young and frisky and wore out my clothes at the place they have bare. Well, I don't know whether what I have written will be of much interest or not, but I feel better for having written some anyway. Well, I will quit for tonight and finish it tomorrow or Sunday. Goodnight, but with you it would be morning.

Feb.10-Another fine day, a little fog this a.m. but the sun is shining fine now. I am still O.K. except that I have a slight case of sore throat. We got ten new M.D. men in our detachment yesterday and there are six more to come. The chances look good for me to get a transfer now if I ever do. I am going to make another application tomorrow. They are going to get a couple more ambulances and I may get to drive one if I don't get transferred for I guess the motorcycle is never coming.I saw some big battle planes being tested out yesterday while I was in the city. They were flying low just clearing the tops of buildings. It gives me the fever to ride in them every time I see one. If I ever have the chance to go up in one, I'm going even if it proves to be the last thing I ever do. I have that ever worse than I ever had for one of those little steam engines or a motorcycle so you can imagine about how I am afflicted.

We have those two American girls working in the "Y" here now. I don't do any more talking to them than I have to, but it is great to know there are two honest to goodness American girls within ten minutes of you.

Well one joke on one of the fellows and I will quit. There is an infantry major over here, only 22 years old. He looks like a baby instead of an officer. The guard house is infested with "coolies." (Cooties?) The major inspected it and decided to have it sprayed. He had his hat on the back of his head and they couldn't see his hat cord and had a rain coat on and they couldn't see his ornaments so they thought he was a buck private. He asked them to come down and inspect the guard house and have it sprayed. In the dispensary they have about 1,000 calls per day that should go to the record office and so they occasionally get short of good nature. The fellow in charge, a private, thought he was talking to another private and proceeded to bawl him out right. "What do you think this is? Get over there to the record office and tell them about it and don't come monkeying around here." The major said alright and beat it and the private didn't know who he had bawled out. The next day the major had toothache and was hunting the dentist and again came in the dispensary. He had his hat on straight and they could see his hat cord. He didn't have a raincoat on and they could see his Sam Brown Belt and the gold leaves on his shoulders. He asked where he could find the dentist. The private who bawled him out nearly went thru the floor. He said, "Come right this way Major and I'll show you, Sir." It was sure funny. Well must close, from Douglas F. French

***OBITUARY*** After a battle of nearly 5 months against the grim enemy of mankind, Mr. William Davis passed away at his home on May 5th. Funeral services were conducted at the Raritan Reformed Church May 8th with interment in the Raritan Cemetery.

William Davis, son and second child of Isaac and Ann (Lott) Davis was born in Somerset County, New Jersey, may 27, 1853. In the spring of 1869 he came with his parents to Raritan Illinois, the family settling on a farm two and half miles west of the village.

On Dec. 8, 1875 Mr. Davis married Annie G. Schenck, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Schenck of Raritan. Following his marriage he rented and lived upon various farms in the vicinities of Raritan, Media and Stronghurst. Mrs. Davis passed away May 15, 1885.

Eight years ago Mr. Davis and his two daughters moved to Stronghurst which has since been his home. In December 1917 he was stricken with an illness.

He is survived by two daughters, Ida. S., who made her home with her father, and Mrs. H. Burnham Fort of Stronghurst., one sister, Mrs. Kate Hunt of Raritan, one brother Abram Davis of Olathe, Kans. and numerous more distant relatives also survive him.

***OBITUARY*** Alfred Ernest Peasley, formerly of the Decorra neighborhood, died in Colorado on April 29th. His death was sudden and unexpected, occurring while he was seated at the wheel of an automobile, making a trip from Ft. Collins to Denver with a party of friends. He had complained a few minutes previously of a severe pain in his chest. This seems to have momentarily passed away, but was followed by another attack which ended fatally within a few moments.

Mr. Peasley was the son of James F. And Sarah(Tarleton) Peasley who came to this county from Canada in 1855 and settled on Sec.10 in Terre Haute Township, where the subject of this sketch was born Jan. 27, 1860. Here he grew to manhood. He was married on March 4, 1886 to Miss Mary E. Libby and to this union five children were born.

These children survive: Clarence Alfred of Boulder, Colo.; Mrs. Helen Louise Ross of Stronghurst, Il.; James Lowell of Ft. Collins, Colo.; Herbert of Osgood, now at Camp Kearney, Calif.; and Edith Tarleton Cukendall of Roggin, Colo. The wife and mother died Jan. 30, 1905, shortly after the completion of a fine home which Mr. Peasley built on Sec.5 in Terre Haute Township.

Mr. and Mrs. Peasley were prominent in the social circles of the community in which they lived. Mr. Peasley was also prominent in I.O.O.F. circles and filled various offices of importance. He was an enthusiastic supporter of the principles of the Republican party and took an active interest in the political affairs of the county representing his party in county, state and district conventions.

His genial disposition made him popular with all whom he came in contact with in his business, social and political activities.In 1909 Mr. Peasley disposed of his business interest here and went to Ft.Collins purchasing a farm near that city. Some time ago he disposed of this farm and purchased another near Denver. Later he sold his farm and purchased a garage in Ft. Collins which he was operating at the time of his death.

His remains arrived at Carman, Illinois and were taken to the home of his daughter, Mrs. Harry Ross, west of Stronghurst (the Larry Dowell home today) where funeral services were conducted on Sunday afternoon. A large concourse of relatives and friends and old neighbors were present and later took their places in the cortege which followed the remains to their last resting place in Terre Haute Cemetery.

In addition to the children, Mr. Peasley is survived by two brothers, Sewell H. Peasley of Ft.Collins, Colo. And J.O.Peasley of Macomb, Ill. and by one sister, Mrs. Bertha Hurdle of Colorado.

SELLS LIVESTOCK: The Nixon, Horn & Chisholm Commission firm of Chicago give this account of a recent livestock transaction with one of this community's well known farmers, F.V.Doak. The shipment consisted of three loads of cattle and two loads of hogs of his own feeding. They were sold on the Chicago market as follows:60 steers averaging 1350 lbs. sold to Nagle Packing Co. of New York at $17.05 per cwt......$13,618.85. 96 heavy butcher hogs, averaging 328 lbs. sold to Independent Packing Co of Chicago at $17.70 per cwt............$5,544.14.

1893 Graphic: At the second election held for deciding the matter of the incorporation of the village of Stronghurst, 83 votes were cast in favor with 5 votes against. Ira Putney, Stronghurst's ex-postmaster, had just purchased the Clark hotel and was preparing to operate it. The question of changing the Raritan mail route to run from Media instead of Kirkwood was being agitated. In Olena people were commenting on the scarcity of school teachers and this was a situation previously been unheard of. A movement for the organization of a brass band had begun in Stronghurst.

COMMUNITY CLUB: All day the Stronghurst Community Women's Club worked on Red Cross hospital shirts under the direction of Mrs. H.D.Lovitt. At 3 o'clock the business meeting was called after which Mrs. Allen Annegers had charge of the afternoon program, Mrs. C.G.Rhodes, supervisor of Domestic Science in the Galesburg Schools. Mrs. Rhodes gave a most helpful lecture on "Food Conservation" which included eight recipes and several demonstrations. Forty women were present to enjoy her talk.

NEW MEAT MARKET: B.T. Tucker has opened a new market in the former Wheeling Caf building in Stronghurst with a brand new up-to-date equipment and a choice line of fresh and salt meats, canned meats and fish, bakery goods, etc.

MEDICAL SOCIETY MEETS: The Henderson County Medical Society held its semi-annual meeting in the Masonic Hall in Stronghurst. Those present from other places were Dr. Emerson of Lomax; Dr. Eads and Coffman of Oquawka; Dr. Riggs of Media and Dr. Camp of Monmouth. Dr. Camp read a paper on "Pelvic Infections," and Dr. Harter gave a paper on "Concussion of the Brain and Fracture of the Skull."

A PRISONER OF WAR: A cablegram received by his father in Oklahoma City, Okla., stating that Lieutenant Earl Chant, who was a member of the Royal British Flying Squadron in France, and had been reported as missing, was wrong; he is a prisoner in a German prison camp. He was reported as having been severely wounded before being captured. He is a nephew of Mr. Geo.T.Chant of this place.

VILLAGE BOARD PROCEEDINGS: The new village board met at the village hall. The clerk reported that the members elected had duly accepted and qualified for the positions to which they had been elected. The roll call revealed the presence of the full board: Pres. A.H.Kershaw,

Trustees Davis, Fort Wolfe, Dobbin, Rehling and Lanphere. Committees for the following year are Auditing-Fort, Wolfe and Rehling; Street and Alley-Davis Lanphere and Dobbin; Ordinance-Rehling, Fort and Wolfe; Fire Board-the president and trustees Dobbin and Lanphere. The board proceeded to elect a Village Marshall-James Rezner; a Village Treasurer-A.E.Jones; a Water Commissioner-G.Q.Fort. A night watchman was not hired.

Bills were presented and paid except that of Mrs. J.H.Baker for filling ditches @ $3.50 A.L.Russler was appointed village Fire Marshall and Geo. Dixson his assistant. Victor Carter, who works for the M.P.Milliken farm, appeared before the board and presented a claim for damage to his automobile caused by running into a brush pile which had been left over night in the street near the J.W.McElhinney place (home of Kay and Tony Griepentrog today). After questioning Mr. Carter as to the nature of the damage claimed and Village Marshal Rezner in regard to the brush being left there overnight, the board decided Mr. Carter was entitled to $17.50 in damages which he agreed to accept.

Fire Marshall Russler reported the completion of the three hose cart stations and stated that they had been furnished with carts, fire hose, nozzles and wrenches. He recommended the purchase of an additional 2 12 in. nozzle for equipment of the regular fire station and on motion same was approved. Trustees Wolfe and Davis were appointed to plat the fire districts to be served by the respective hose cart stations.

The matter of oiling the streets was presented and the president was authorized to appoint a committee of three citizen to take up the matter of the solicitation of funds for that purpose with the understanding that if sufficient funds to pay for one half of a car of oil or more was raised by subscription, the village would appropriate the amount needed for the rest. As the Women's Community Club are contemplating a spring clean up campaign, it was moved and carried that the president be asked to meet with them and offer them cooperation of the board. Mr. R.Butler was granted a plumber's license for the year.

LOCAL AND AREA HAPPENINGS: L. Odegard had the misfortune to get a hard fall at the rear of his tailor shop and the bone in his right leg was broken near the ankle. Lyman Ross and Max Sanderson went to Peoria and enlisted in the navy. They leave Monday to being their duties probably at the Great Lakes training station near Chicago. The Coloma community is arranging a big patriotic meeting and service flag dedication to be held May 16th. An elaborate program has been prepared. The local W.C.T.U. held its regular meeting at the home of Mrs. Dr. Wells. A short program of music and readings were given with a reception of new members following. Light refreshments were served. Charles Berg has been transferred to Williamsfield where he is in the employ of the Santa Fe. The County Exemption Board has received notice that 48 men will be called for selective draft about May 25th. Marion L. Evans of Decorra recently graduated from the Third Officers' Training School at Camp Grant. A commission of 2nd Lieutenant will no doubt be issue to Mr. Evans and his friends all feel confident that he will acquit himself with credit as an officer in our National Army.

Clarence Moreland has moved to town and is now in the employ of the telephone company. The Farmer's Grain and Merchandise Co. have begun the construction of a new office north of the one now in use. While cranking a car in Burlington Sunday evening Charles Lukens was struck when the thing kicked back fracturing a bone near his wrist. Mr. C.G.Peterson underwent a surgical operation at St.Mary's Hospital in Galesburg and is getting along nicely.

Cameron Jones, who went to Chicago last week expecting to be employed by the Pullman Co., returned home on account of being unable to pass a satisfactory physical examination. Chas. E.Fort, who has been in training at the Officers Training School at Camp Custer for several months, has received his commission as 2nd Lieutenant. Frank Trainor, a nephew of Mrs. Alice Crane of Carman, has enlisted in the army and has been appointed a corporal. Kenneth Yoakam will be leaving for Jefferson Barracks where he goes into military service.

Dr. A.P.Rolen of Hedding College delivered a sermon at the M.E.Church Sunday morning speaking in the interests of the anti-saloon league. Mr. and Mrs. H.H.Rankin who spent last summer in Montana and the winter at Long Beach, Calif, returned home. They report the recent earthquake in California a very serious thing and an experience that upset the nerves of most people, if not their houses. Hal has almost entirely recovered from the injuries he received last winter.

ARMAN CONCERNS: They are trying to organize a Home Guard here with 82 men and boys from the age of 17 to 50. Up to date they have 50 and when the required number is reached, a man will come and drill them. Luke Bradway was the captain Monday night. The young folks enjoyed a picnic at Honey Creek. Mrs. John Parry, who has been quite poorly all winter, is going to Burlington to take treatments of Dr. Lawhead.

Will Stewart shipped a car load of cattle and hogs to Chicago. The Red Cross will meet every Thursday afternoon at the I.O.O.F. hall for work. This chapter sent 90 hospital shirts, 12 pairs of wristlets, 6 pairs socks, 5 pairs of pajamas, 4 wash rags to headquarters at Oquawka. The Masonic lodge took in two new members: Archie Vaughan and Clyde Gittings.

SMITHSHIRE SMATTERING: Private Ray Pugh of Camp Pike and his lady friend, Miss Myrtle Peterson of Galesburg spent the day with Rev. and Mrs. M.S.Swisher. Private Pugh has been given 15 days sick leave, having been in the base hospital for 93 days.

He says no one could have received better care while in the hospital and words cannot adequately express his commendation and praise for the Red Cross and its nurses. He also says the camps would be a dull place indeed were it not for the Y.M.C.A. and the conveniences and amusements furnished by that organization. Private Pugh is bugler of his company.

Sunday evening while Mr. Spearman and Milt Adair were driving in the west part of town, their horse became badly frightened at something near the elevator and ran away throwing both occupants of the buggy out, cutting a considerable gash above Adairs eye and hurting his side somewhat, but Mr. Spearman escaped with a few light bruises. The buggy was broken to pieces. C.E.Brent is now the possessor of a fine a new Kissel car.

MEDIA MEANDERINGS: Buell Corzatt of near Raritan is the recent purchaser of a new six cylinder Buick roadster. Mr. W.S.White was quite severely hurt when the car load of lumber he was on was struck by an engine. Mr. Frank Winders of Rock Island made a business trip here bringing seven New Zealand Red Rabbits for Mr. Terry. Mr. Terry expects to raise a number of rabbits for sale the coming summer and fall. The graduation exercises of the Media Public Schools were held at the school building Friday evening. Mr. John Lugg of Monmouth gave the address. Ernest Lukens was the only pupil to graduate this year.

A meeting was held in Meloans Hall to consider organizing a club for the men of Media Township. The idea is to form a club to promote the welfare of the community by furnishing good amusement and by providing something along educational lines. There were a good many men present and much interest was shown. Such a movement will do much to unite the community.